Krazy Lobster or Maya Chan

DandA

We love the Krazy Lobster b/c of the location, the food and the fact that we can almost always get a 1 hour massage on the beach for $25 !!  What you have to be willing to tolerate on the Mahahual beach are the roving peddlers which are extremely annoying.  They are not pushy or rude but they are definitely nonstop.  Amazingly, we have never been to Maya Chan but I hear it is really nice so long as the sea grass is not a problem.

Krazy Lobster is in the middle of the Mahahual so it’s surrounded by local shops, other bar/restaurants, massage tables, street vendors.  I don’t remember any other activities in the area.

There was minimal sea grass when we were there but I imagine when it is present, it is not confined to Maya Chan.

As @Poochsaid, the KL is in the middle of the "strand" surrounded by other restaurants so there's nothing particularly unique about the KL itself.  We have been going there since before it was the Krazy Lobster (it used to be Coco Loco and owned by a guy from East LA).  There are many restaurants that, frankly, are probably just as good...but we maintain a (probably undeserved) loyalty to the Lobstaaah.  They have some nice hammocks and there is almost always someone willing to give you an awesome $25 massage.  Word of caution on the massage [price].  DO NOT allow anyone else to "negotiate" a massage on your behalf.  The price will immediately [at least] double and the pimp will get his/her cut.  The massage tables are everywhere along the beach so all you have to do is walk up yourself and negotiate your price.  Do we actually pay $25 or a $25 massage.  No.  We always tip very generously so our massage is never EVER $25 but there are some cheapskates (we travel with some) who will cheap out and give them only $25.  Shame...

Truthfully, I have never seen the sea grass at the KL but I know that it can be a problem there just like it is at Maya Chan.  I think the restaurants along the strand work together to keep it cleaned up pretty well so I have personally never seen it there.  If you can get past the roving peddlers, the $1 Coronas and the fresh grilled [warm water] lobsters are worth it !

• 1 year later...

Went there today. Only one cruise ship docked so not crowded at all. Eight of us in our group…4 of us got our food and it was good. The other 4 after 2-1/2 hours never got their food. Tried to leave and was forced to pay for meals never received and they STILL had not started cooking. There were two other tables had the same issue. You have been warned.

15 hours ago, Hubba said:

Went there today. Only one cruise ship docked so not crowded at all. Eight of us in our group…4 of us got our food and it was good. The other 4 after 2-1/2 hours never got their food. Tried to leave and was forced to pay for meals never received and they STILL had not started cooking. There were two other tables had the same issue. You have been warned.

Which one? (I assume Krazy Lobster).

On 12/12/2021 at 8:54 AM, DandA said:

Thanks everyone, based on the comments here and you tube reviews I like the remoteness of Maya Chan. I'll just keep an eye on the sea grass conditions in case I need to find an alternative excursion.

I have read reports of people who had reservations at Maya Chan on days when the sargassum was bad - they will usually notify you ahead of time and offer a refund if you want to cancel. 

43 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I have read reports of people who had reservations at Maya Chan on days when the sargassum was bad - they will usually notify you ahead of time and offer a refund if you want to cancel. 

They do! When we were there last in 2019 the emailed us to ask if we wanted a refund, even offering to let us go and see how it was before deciding if we wanted to stay. We ended up staying, but transportation to/from port would have been at no cost to us had we decided on the refund after arriving.

Been to Maya Chan, food was excellent but only served at a certain time. The beech wasn't very good and it's kind of a long bumpy ride.

Did Jamie's Blue Reef this time. It's an all inclusive.  It's on the beach front in Mahahaul just down the street  from Krazy Lobster. The beach is open to vendors but you can eat and drink all day and walk up and down the street.