Purchasing an open booking on board for someone else?

Is it possible to go to the Next Cruise desk on board and purchase an open booking or “book later” reservation for someone else? I purchased one for myself last week and regret not buying two. I have a friend sailing next week and hoping he can purchase one for me. Anybody have experience or knowledge regarding this?

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I was told that "Book Later" acts like a gift certificate and can be given to anyone. The name on the booking didn't matter. I bought one for a friend, knowing they were going to book a cruise soon, but I had to join the call with my buddy and the RC agent to allow him to make the reservation

They told me last week that I couldn't do this for a client. It may depend on who you get on the phone.

1 hour ago, Sharla said:

They told me last week that I couldn't do this for a client. It may depend on who you get on the phone.

Please clarify; by they are you referring to next cruise agent on a ship or is they a person you called to ask if next cruise will allow open booking for someone else on board?