Refund for FCCs

nate91

I have three $500 FCCs with RC. One was a Cruise with Confidence, I believe the others were not, can't remember at this point as they are all from at least 6 months ago to over a year ago. They all have a book by date of end of April 2022, with Sail By of end of December 2022. With current protocols, I am not allowed to sail on RC. So my question is, how can I get that money refunded, as cash instead of a future cruise credit? When I took the future cruise credits, mandatory vaccinations were not a thing, and I am not keen to book a cruise for December 2022 to possibly have to cancel it again for more future cruise credit. I feel that although I took future cruise credit initially, since policies have changed since I took it they should give me an option for a refund (unless policies change by April, or they announce that policies will change at a given date in the future before my sail by date). Anyone had any luck with this? My experiences with Royal have morphed from AMAZING (pre-pandemic, onboard the ships) to AWFUL (post pandemic, dealing with agents and my money over the phone), and I'd like to make it as simple as possible. Thanks!

Royal continues to be amazing on board but just like before the pandemic the shore side teams don't deliver the same level of service compared to the teams on board the ships.

Having said that the C&A team has traditionally been the better call center to use even though they don't staff it during the same hours when the general call center is open.

I would talk to C&A and explore options with them.  (800) 526-9723

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal continues to be amazing on board but just like before the pandemic the shore side teams don't deliver the same level of service compared to the teams on board the ships.

Having said that the C&A team has traditionally been the better call center to use even though they don't staff it during the same hours when the general call center is open.

I called last week to inquire about cash refunds for FCC booked cruise in April and was told since protocols for April are not known yet no cash can be requested.  Actually the rep I spoke to said it is not a typical thing to receive cash refund for FCC.

4 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I called last week to inquire about cash refunds for FCC booked cruise in April and was told since protocols for April are not known yet no cash can be requested.  Actually the rep I spoke to said it is not a typical thing to receive cash refund for FCC.

That is true, but OP has FCC already.  Plus the source of the FCC is beyond CWC for some of them.  There is no single answer that fits every situation.  With older GSP FCC (Global Suspension) you never know until you try.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I have never understood why RCCL doesn't realize with their "team" structure, the shore side teams aren't even playing the same games as the other teams and have no idea what game they are playing, yet ship side works so well.  More than once I have seen the people on board trying to resolve a problem but being blocked from doing so by shore side.  But, I still like RCCL.

Getting cash for FCCs is a bit of an art but fortunately I had an excellent travel agent to intercede on my behalf.

Originally it was my understanding that only CWC FCCs were eligible for cash refunds but somehow @michellewas able to work her magic and get cash for all of my FCCs, including [at least] 2 that were not acquired through  CWC.

I had to make final payment and then wait for the COVID protocols to be announced and only then were we able to request a cash refund.  We were successful in getting cash for the cruise fare which had been paid almost entirely with a series of FCCs.

It wasn’t 100% perfect though.  For reasons which I don’t completely understand, some of the FCCs were not redeemed at full face value. There were some penalties that applied and I did not get 100% of my money back.  It had to do with the fact that the cruise was #1, a L&S and #2, paid for with FCCs (I think).

We are in the same boat as you, @nate91.  Since we aren’t vaccinated (and never will be), FCCs are useless to us so and even though we did not get 100% face value for everything, we were satisfied to get 90% (approximately) of our money back.  Now we have NO FCCs on our ledger.  That’s a huge deal (and relief) for us.

My recommendation, if you get push-back from the CS agent about getting a cash refund, is to simply keep trying until you get one that knows how to execute the cash refund offer.  If they tell you, “you can’t get cash from an FCC”, they are uninformed or poorly trained (nothing new about that).  Keep trying. Don’t let them give you an FCC that you will likely never be able to use.

Good luck !

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

@nate91, I just re-read your post and I think I misunderstood.  Do you have a cruise booked using your FCCs or do you just have in applied FCCs ?  I am pretty sure you cannot get a cash refund of “loose” FCCs.  They would need to be applied to a booking in order to get them refunded.  

Yes, I have "loose" FCCs right now. I have recently freed them from their associated reservations, and they are all three FCCs because I was refused a cash refund when protocols were announced for past cruises. I would feel silly booking a cruise I know I wouldn't be going on just to wait for protocols to be announced to cancel in the hope that I could get a cash refund, even though I haven't been able to before.

9 hours ago, nate91 said:

I was refused a cash refund when protocols were announced for past cruises. 

That is very unfortunate.  They should have refunded you for those cruises (the CWC FCC's, anyway) if you could not meet the COVID protocols.

Yes, you are definitely in a very weak position now.  I know what you are saying about booking a cruise knowing that you will not be taking it BUT I do believe that, at this point, it is the only way you are going to get your money (or most of it) back.  If you think there is a chance that you will qualify (i.e., get vaccinated) by the end of next year, then you can just sit tight and wait.  If, however, you do not plan to ever meet the vaccination mandate then you may have little choice.

I recommend that if you believe that you will never have any use for FCC's, that you engage a strong TA (one who has fought this battle before), have them book any qualifying cruise (see #2 below) in the future and then have THEM fight the fight for you.  Consider the following:

1.  You would eventually have to make final payment using all of your FCC's plus some cash for things like taxes, port fees, etc. so you would be loaning them that money on a temporary basis.  Then wait for the protocols to come out and cancel for a cash refund. The refunds are not quick.  It will be some weeks (maybe months ?) before you get your money.

2.  Since the COVID protocols have already been announced through the end of March 2022, I would guess that you would not be able to book anything before then; otherwise they would claim that you knew the COVID protocols when you booked and probably disqualify you from the cash refund.  So your booking would most likely (the TA will help you with this decision) have to be for a cruise April 1, 2022 or later.

3.  There is always the chance that they will end the ability to get a cash refund in the future.  There is no guarantee that this policy will keep going indefinitely.  In fact, I am fairly certain that it will not....which is why I liquidated all of my FCCs and cancelled all of my upcoming cruises (through 3-31-22) for cash while I had the chance.

4.  This would NOT be a "deceitful" move as far as engaging a TA.  As soon as that cruise in PIF, the TA would get their commission, even if the booking is cancelled later, so they would not be "working for free" to help you out of your situation.  In fact, I would be very up front with the TA and let them know exactly what you are doing so that there is no misunderstanding.  I'm not gonna lie.  This will be a lot of work for the TA but they will know what they are getting into up front so they will either do it or they won't.

Good luck @nate91.  Royal Caribbean really mucked this one up when they refused your cash refund on your CWC FCC's (they were probably justified in refusing cash for any non-CWC FCC's.  I think I got super lucky thanks to @michelle).  That was bogus BS.

8 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That is very unfortunate.  They should have refunded you for those cruises (the CWC FCC's, anyway) if you could not meet the COVID protocols.

Yes, you are definitely in a very weak position now.  I know what you are saying about booking a cruise knowing that you will not be taking it BUT I do believe that, at this point, it is the only way you are going to get your money (or most of it) back.  If you think there is a chance that you will qualify (i.e., get vaccinated) by the end of next year, then you can just sit tight and wait.  If, however, you do not plan to ever meet the vaccination mandate then you may have little choice.

I recommend that if you believe that you will never have any use for FCC's, that you engage a strong TA (one who has fought this battle before), have them book any qualifying cruise (see #2 below) in the future and then have THEM fight the fight for you.  Consider the following:

1.  You would eventually have to make final payment using all of your FCC's plus some cash for things like taxes, port fees, etc. so you would be loaning them that money on a temporary basis.  Then wait for the protocols to come out and cancel for a cash refund. The refunds are not quick.  It will be some weeks (maybe months ?) before you get your money.

2.  Since the COVID protocols have already been announced through the end of March 2022, I would guess that you would not be able to book anything before then; otherwise they would claim that you knew the COVID protocols when you booked and probably disqualify you from the cash refund.  So your booking would most likely (the TA will help you with this decision) have to be for a cruise April 1, 2022 or later.

3.  There is always the chance that they will end the ability to get a cash refund in the future.  There is no guarantee that this policy will keep going indefinitely.  In fact, I am fairly certain that it will not....which is why I liquidated all of my FCCs and cancelled all of my upcoming cruises (through 3-31-22) for cash while I had the chance.

4.  This would NOT be a "deceitful" move as far as engaging a TA.  As soon as that cruise in PIF, the TA would get their commission, even if the booking is cancelled later, so they would not be "working for free" to help you out of your situation.  In fact, I would be very up front with the TA and let them know exactly what you are doing so that there is no misunderstanding.  I'm not gonna lie.  This will be a lot of work for the TA but they will know what they are getting into up front so they will either do it or they won't.

Good luck @nate91.  Royal Caribbean really mucked this one up when they refused your cash refund on your CWC FCC's (they were probably justified in refusing cash for any non-CWC FCC's.  I think I got super lucky thanks to @michelle).  That was bogus BS.

Any contact info for @michelle? I think I'll need some help on this one haha!

I am currently waiting for full refunds for 6 cruises that I cancelled about a month ago due to not being able to sail with the Covid protocols as they stand for the foreseeable future. All were balcony cabins.  2 of my cruises were lifted and shifted, 1 was a prime cruise that I upgraded to a balcony, and the others were either paid for by in part or full by cash alone or paired with FCC's that included the extra 25% given by RC for another cruise they cancelled.  At first, I tried dealing with one RC agent who seemed to not be familiar with all the cancellation rules; that was a total bust. Next, I dealt with another agent who seemed to be on top of things, though he kept using the words "should" and "likely" when responding to my questions about full refunds; I allowed him to process the cancellations, however as a backup plan. I sent an email to Mr. Bayley explaining my situation and received an email back which listed the six cruises that were being cancelled and RCG's commitment to fully refund each cruise. To date. all but one of the cruises have disappeared from my profile. I am hoping that the wait for refunding my funds - approx. 7.5K to my AMEX occurs soon.

8 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I am currently waiting for full refunds for 6 cruises that I cancelled about a month ago due to not being able to sail with the Covid protocols as they stand for the foreseeable future. All were balcony cabins.  2 of my cruises were lifted and shifted, 1 was a prime cruise that I upgraded to a balcony, and the others were either paid for by in part or full by cash alone or paired with FCC's that included the extra 25% given by RC for another cruise they cancelled.  At first, I tried dealing with one RC agent who seemed to not be familiar with all the cancellation rules; that was a total bust. Next, I dealt with another agent who seemed to be on top of things, though he kept using the words "should" and "likely" when responding to my questions about full refunds; I allowed him to process the cancellations, however as a backup plan. I sent an email to Mr. Bayley explaining my situation and received an email back which listed the six cruises that were being cancelled and RCG's commitment to fully refund each cruise. To date. all but one of the cruises have disappeared from my profile. I am hoping that the wait for refunding my funds - approx. 7.5K to my AMEX occurs soon.

Congratulations on an excellent decision.

All 8 of the ones that I recently cancelled (through 3-31-22) have disappeared from the "My Cruises" list and all of the rooms that had previously been booked are now either showing as "available" on the website or had previously (in the past week) been available and are now NOT available (these are the 5 Star Class suites....I suspect that they are being sucked up for RoyalUp bidding).  What really chaps my a$$ is that they are already re-selling my room(s) but I have not received any kind of refund for them yet.  Not even the Cruise Planner purchases, which usually come back first.  I know that I will eventually get the money back (or most of it, anyway) but for them to resell the room, they should have to refund my money, first.  Whatever....

My FCC story is a bit different. I booked a cruise months ago on the Anthem leaving this Sunday. I paid for the deposit with Amex and used three separate FCCs for much of the balance, the remainder to be paid by Amex. Since I booked it…the price had dropped and I re-priced it, receiving the lower price. As I had yet to make final payment at that time, the final payment was reduced and then I subsequently paid it off with Amex.
Meanwhile, with the double points promotion, I passed the 350 point mark so I called C&A to get yet another re-price taking advantage of the solo cruiser supplement reduction. The difference was about $1,200 to be returned to me as another FCC…understandable because that was the bulk of my payment. Then, I submitted bids to RoyalUp and a couple days ago, I was notified that my bid was accepted and my Amex was charged.
Today, I reviewed my booking and found a balance due of $156. I’m sure that would cause a problem at the terminal. When I called and explained (yet another very nice, helpful agent) I went through the seemingly obligatory thirty-five minute holding period (can they PLEASE change the commercial while on hold!) while she and her ‘colleagues’ worked on it. Eventually she came back and told me that the $1,200 will not be refunded as an FCC, but to my credit card as cash. Also, the balance due was a ‘glitch’ in the computer and they would work on removing it. But, just in case, the supervisor added a note to the reservation indicating that there was zero due. 
Fingers crossed I get aboard Sunday without this being an issue. 
This ‘managing my bookings’ stuff is hard work…but well worth it!😎

****Update Sat Dec 11…my reservation now shows -0- balance…and the $156 has been refunded to my Amex. Now just waiting for the remainder. At least I won’t be nervous checking in at the terminal!

7 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Congratulations on an excellent decision.

All 8 of the ones that I recently cancelled (through 3-31-22) have disappeared from the "My Cruises" list and all of the rooms that had previously been booked are now either showing as "available" on the website or had previously (in the past week) been available and are now NOT available (these are the 5 Star Class suites....I suspect that they are being sucked up for RoyalUp bidding).  What really chaps my a$$ is that they are already r --ventually get the money back (or most of it, anyway) but for them to resell the room, they should have to refund my money, first.  Whatever....

By sheer coincidence, this afternoon, I  received refunds back to my Amex for 4 of my six cruises. It took a bit of math to reconcile the amounts to the correct cruises, but eventually, it equaled out.  Still awaiting about 4k more for those last two cruises -- two 11 nighters on Anthem. 

On 12/9/2021 at 9:13 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

This isn't really true, if you pay in FCC then there is no commission, even if it's PIF. And, if you cancel for protocols and not due to Royal Caribbean cancelling, no commission. Just like any other cancellation outside of the pandemic. 

My understanding is that when FCC are used to pay for the cruise the ship has to sail before commission is paid to the agency.

If a pre-pandemic cruise was originally paid in full, the agency on the original booking would have been paid commission back then.  Royal, unlike most other cruise lines, did not cancel commission when they cancelled sailings due to the pandemic.  Most other cruise lines outside of the Royal group did cancel commissions when they cancelled cruises due to the pandemic.  

Since commissions on Royal did not cancel (if the original cruise was paid in full) Royal pays a second commission (when FCC are used) only when the ship sails, otherwise they'd be paying commission multiple times if FCC were used then canceled, then used again then cancelled again.  The fair solution is to only pay commission when an FCC paid for cruise actually sails.    

At least that is how my TA explained it to me some time ago.

When anyone uses FCC it typically involves 10 times the work with Royal.  Hours are spent on the phone multiple times when FCC are in play.  I love Royal but FCC are terrible and I hate asking my TA to use them.  Once in a while an FCC will apply cleanly but those FCC earned early in the pandemic are an absolute PITA.   If you have tried using them, tracking them, accounting for them and so on, you know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 5:01 PM, MaritimeR&R said:

By sheer coincidence, this afternoon, I  received refunds back to my Amex for 4 of my six cruises. It took a bit of math to reconcile the amounts to the correct cruises, but eventually, it equaled out.  Still awaiting about 4k more for those last two cruises -- two 11 nighters on Anthem. 

You said that you 'recently' cancelled your cruises and now getting your refunds. Exactly when was 'recently" because I've been waiting 9 weeks for my FCC.