Grandeur out of Barbados

If anyone is on Grandeur now, or if anyone is on in December or January, I would love to hear about your experiences.  A few things are top of mind (but any experiences would be helpful):

• I can not imagine Grandeur sailing out of anywhere but Baltimore.  For sentimental reasons, please let me know if she fits in with her new home.
  • The itineraries out of Barbados are very, very tempting.  Given whatever restrictions were in place for your cruise, did any of the destinations stand out (good or bad)?
  • Dancing ... there was always lots of opportunity during happy hour in the Centrum (and every so often in the South Pacific Lounge).  Are there opportunities on board?  We have sailed on every RCL class of ship, and Grandeur was very accommodating to people who love to dance. 

Curt from Canada

37 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I too have been looking up the Grandeur sailing from Barbados.  The cruise fare is okay.  It is the plane fare that is keeping me from doing this cruise.

We have an advantage and a "restriction":

Advantage: Frequent Flyer Miles ... I really do not care where the cruise originates.  The destinations are the main draw.

Restriction: Canada ... once the frequent flyer miles run out (and they will), we are limited to Bayonne, Boston and Baltimore (I wish there were more B's) as home ports.  Flying to Florida is not that much less money than flying to Barbados (and even west coast or some European hubs too).

Deane

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

The itineraries out of Barbados are awesome.  New ports that are not typical for Royal in many cases.

The cost of flights is a factor but also the protocols are pretty strict right now.

Rhapsody takes over next year with similar itineraries from Barbados.

The protocols would be OK, if I would take the time to understand them.  I think their is a 4th year university course being planned (Cruise Protocols 401).

😉

Curt from Canada

We would also love to hear as we a due to board January 9th. The airfare from Miami was expensive but we were lucky and locked in a rate with Air2Sea, so glad we did as they are so expensive now and we would not have booked the cruise with current airfare prices. 

The Barbados protocols are simplified now. As we are coming out of Australia, we are fully vaccinated, so only researched vaccinated protocols. The for all passengers flying in must have had a RT-PCR test within 72 hours prior and may be selected upon arrival for a rapid antigen test.  Also this 72 hour window will allow you to board the ship. This is an extra day to US based cruises. We are flying in five days earlier, just in case and so we have booked a local test rapid antigen test, $44 USD pp, a couple days prior to boarding. All passengers will be tested at the port by Royal, complimentary, prior to boarding. The Barbados government has an optional app to upload all your test results and details, which you can start 72 hours prior ro entry.   

The protocols have changed again as it seems no PCR test needed ( if vaccinated) to board ship just the additional antigen testing done at port .

Which is good for us as we where flying in 4 days before so now we don't need to arrange another PCR test while we are in Barbados 😀

PCR Testing

• All travelers age 5 and older require a negative PCR COVID-19 test result to fly into Barbados regardless of vaccination status. The test must be taken within the 3 days before the day you fly into the country. You must upload the result to Barbados’ online Immigration/Customs Form, and show it to authorities upon arriving. Learn more about island entry requirements at Visit Barbados
  • Unvaccinated guests age 2 to 11 must show a negative PCR COVID-19 test result at the cruise terminal for a test taken no more than 3 days before the day you board the ship. If timed properly, the same PCR test result provided for entry into Barbados can satisfy this requirement.

Additional Antigen Testing

• All Royal Caribbean guests age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status, will take a COVID-19 antigen test at the terminal prior to boarding the ship. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

4 hours ago, Chmusar said:

The protocols have changed again as it seems no PCR test needed ( if vaccinated) to board ship just the additional antigen testing done at port .

Which is good for us as we where flying in 4 days before so now we don't need to arrange another PCR test while we are in Barbados 😀

PCR Testing

• All travelers age 5 and older require a negative PCR COVID-19 test result to fly into Barbados regardless of vaccination status. The test must be taken within the 3 days before the day you fly into the country. You must upload the result to Barbados’ online Immigration/Customs Form, and show it to authorities upon arriving. Learn more about island entry requirements at Visit Barbados
  • Unvaccinated guests age 2 to 11 must show a negative PCR COVID-19 test result at the cruise terminal for a test taken no more than 3 days before the day you board the ship. If timed properly, the same PCR test result provided for entry into Barbados can satisfy this requirement.

• All Royal Caribbean guests age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status, will take a COVID-19 antigen test at the terminal prior to boarding the ship. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

Sorry, but I think you are mistaken.  I am also going to arrive in Barbados early, but my Covid test will have expired before I embark.  The blurb says, "If timed properly, the same PCR test result provided for entry into Barbados can satisfy this requirement."  I've got appointments set up at the Crane Resort.  I'm more concerned with the testing before I get back to Canada.  The antigen test on board is not acceptable for Canada.....at this point in time.  I am still waiting to hear back from RC.  

On 12/9/2021 at 7:58 PM, CruisingOz said:

We would also love to hear as we a due to board January 9th. The airfare from Miami was expensive but we were lucky and locked in a rate with Air2Sea, so glad we did as they are so expensive now and we would not have booked the cruise with current airfare prices. 

The Barbados protocols are simplified now. As we are coming out of Australia, we are fully vaccinated, so only researched vaccinated protocols. The for all passengers flying in must have had a RT-PCR test within 72 hours prior and may be selected upon arrival for a rapid antigen test.  Also this 72 hour window will allow you to board the ship. This is an extra day to US based cruises. We are flying in five days earlier, just in case and so we have booked a local test rapid antigen test, $44 USD pp, a couple days prior to boarding. All passengers will be tested at the port by Royal, complimentary, prior to boarding. The Barbados government has an optional app to upload all your test results and details, which you can start 72 hours prior ro entry.   

Yes, everyone will get a free antigen test before embarking.  It is still my understanding that you still need a PCR test before getting on the ship...the antigen is not accepted.  

2 hours ago, jansplan said:

Sorry, but I think you are mistaken.  I am also going to arrive in Barbados early, but my Covid test will have expired before I embark.  The blurb says, "If timed properly, the same PCR test result provided for entry into Barbados can satisfy this requirement."  I've got appointments set up at the Crane Resort.  I'm more concerned with the testing before I get back to Canada.  The antigen test on board is not acceptable for Canada.....at this point in time.  I am still waiting to hear back from RC.  

There seems to be a lot of different information around but the protocols on there own Website now does not mention PCR test (unless unvaccinated ) just antigen test to get on board . 

FB_IMG_1639611887105.jpg

We are confused with which test to take while in Barbados. The Royal email only talks about the PCR test which is required to enter Barbados, but assumes you are flying in a day pr two in advance, so that entry PCR test will suffice. It does not specifically say you need a PCR test, so antigen may be alright. We also have reached out to Royal for claifcation. I think for the sake of a little more money, why take the chance and I am going to book a PCR test for the Friday, allowing enough time to have the results by Saturday for Sunday boarding.  

If you hear back from Royal, please let us know.

Also Puerto Limón, Costa Rica and Cartagena, Colombia shore excursions were cancelled, witinf=g for the refunds and our cruise planner are still not showing any of the options noted in the cancellation emails. We are based in Australia so our system may be different as we work off Royal's International system and not the US system. You would think they would have one system? Are you cruise planners offering any excursions for those two ports or does anyone have any suggestions of what to see and do?   

I will.  We are supposed to leave on Grandeur of the Seas, January 2.  We have booked a PCR test the day before we embark as we will not be within the 72 hour window.  We have connecting flights AND are arriving early as you never know what the weather brings.  I'm from Canada.  To enter Canada you need to have a negative PCR; an antigen test does not cut it.  A new advisory came out today......Avoid all non- essential travel.  What that means is up to the individual.  I need sunshine and warmth!  Did I fail to tell you that I am from Canada?  Keep well.

26 minutes ago, jansplan said:

from Canada

@jansplanWe love Canada, such a beautiful country but I can not imagine the cold and so fully understand your need to thaw out. We have flown into JFK in late January one year totally unprepared. If you have ever watched the movie Cool Running with the Jamacian bobsled team scene when they arrived at the Canadian Winter Olympics, we were those people, at the terminal doors with our luggage bags open throwing on random clothes to layer up, lol.  Thanks for the sales at Macy's where we bought coats which we can only wear overseas, Australia never gets that cold.    

7 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

@jansplanWe love Canada, such a beautiful country but I can not imagine the cold and so fully understand your need to thaw out. We have flown into JFK in late January one year totally unprepared. If you have ever watched the movie Cool Running with the Jamacian bobsled team scene when they arrived at the Canadian Winter Olympics, we were those people, at the terminal doors with our luggage bags open throwing on random clothes to layer up, lol.  Thanks for the sales at Macy's where we bought coats which we can only wear overseas, Australia never gets that cold.    

Come on.....people go skiing there when it is Canada's summer!

1 hour ago, jansplan said:

Come on.....people go skiing there when it is Canada's summer!

Yes sure, in the Snowy Mountains, but even there, there are days where we would ski in a t-shirt. The average at night is 23F and day 42F in the winter in the mountains. Sydney winter average is 49F at night and 65F during the day. I wear shorts all year around. If I lived in Tasmania, then yes it gets cold. 

I just received an email from Royal, so assuming you will receive the same. Part of the email is about testing. My interpretation is we will not need a test within a time frame as we enter Barbados with a PCR test and present that at the terminal whee will will need to take the antigen test at the terminal. Would you agree that if we are in Barbados for five dosed then I simply present the PCR test from entry on Tuesday and so no need to book a test within three days of boarding. would you read it this way? I wish I could call someone. 

• Testing Requirements

Required Pre-Arrival and Pre-Cruise Testing

Testing is required to enter Barbados and to board the ship. These requirements vary depending on guests’ age and vaccination status.

PCR Testing

• All Royal Caribbean guests age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status, will take an COVID-19 antigen test at the terminal prior to boarding the ship. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

Guests under 2 years of age do not have any testing requirements to board the ship.

—————————————————————–
Required Testing to Debark in Barbados

All Royal Caribbean guests age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status, will require a complimentary COVID-19 antigen test provided by Royal Caribbean’s test provider to re-enter Barbados. In most cases, this test could also satisfy re-entry requirements into guests’ home country. Be sure to familiarize yourself with your country’s specific requirements prior to traveling. More information on this test will be provided once onboard.

17 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

I just received an email from Royal, so assuming you will receive the same. Part of the email is about testing. My interpretation is we will not need a test within a time frame as we enter Barbados with a PCR test and present that at the terminal whee will will need to take the antigen test at the terminal. Would you agree that if we are in Barbados for five dosed then I simply present the PCR test from entry on Tuesday and so no need to book a test within three days of boarding. would you read it this way? I wish I could call someone. 

• Testing Requirements

Required Pre-Arrival and Pre-Cruise Testing

Testing is required to enter Barbados and to board the ship. These requirements vary depending on guests’ age and vaccination status.

PCR Testing

• All Royal Caribbean guests age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status, will take an COVID-19 antigen test at the terminal prior to boarding the ship. Royal Caribbean’s test provider will administer these, at no cost to our guests. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

Guests under 2 years of age do not have any testing requirements to board the ship.

—————————————————————–
Required Testing to Debark in Barbados

All Royal Caribbean guests age 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status, will require a complimentary COVID-19 antigen test provided by Royal Caribbean’s test provider to re-enter Barbados. In most cases, this test could also satisfy re-entry requirements into guests’ home country. Be sure to familiarize yourself with your country’s specific requirements prior to traveling. More information on this test will be provided once onboard.

I would say that you have a within 72 hours of your cruise a current PCR test.  

Am I reading something different?  I read this as everyone over the age of 5 needs the PCR test results required to enter Barbados.

Everyone will take an antigen test at the port prior to boarding.

The unvaccinated are also required to provide PCR test results to board the ship.

Thus if you are vaccinated, once you are already in Barbados (obviously satisfied their entry requirements) you don't need to worry about testing again as they're going to test you when you board the ship.

9 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Am I reading something different?  I read this as everyone over the age of 5 needs the PCR test results required to enter Barbados.

Everyone will take an antigen test at the port prior to boarding.

The unvaccinated are also required to provide PCR test results to board the ship.

Thus if you are vaccinated, once you are already in Barbados (obviously satisfied their entry requirements) you don't need to worry about testing again as they're going to test you when you board the ship.

That's what I posted in another thread.  

I think there is confusion with US ports where you have to arrive at the terminal with a test letter in hand.  

Waiting for real world confirmation.  One Barbados cruise is in the books, should be some feedback received soon from cruisers who have been there, done that.  

Just returned from the December 5th inigural cruise out of BGI. 

1. PCR three days prior to entering Barbados. They checked this in the US prior to flying.

2. Test(Antigen or PRC) two days prior to boarding. We did the eMed Home tests. 

3. We found out that it was much easier  to get hrough Barbadian imigration if you highlight the type test. The agents are pressed fro time and some test results are pretty dense with verbiage.

4. Everyone has to take an antigen test at the terminal. Takes 20-30 minutes. Masking mandatory to this point. 

5. Aboard ship, masking in indoor public venues and places where unvaxxed might be. My Time dining is unmasked. As is the theater on deck 5. The Concierge Lounge is unmasked.

6. Grandeuer's electronics reflect its age. The app is not generally helpful. We could not schedule MyTime from it. We coild not book a tour or essentially any other reservation from it. We could not book a wakeup call except by calling Guest Relations. And then we did not get one 50% of the time. When I pointed this out at the Guest Relations desk, I was told that the electonics were "spotty". The Vooms Surf and Stream was really slow. We got maybe 8 Mb/s down and less than 2 Mb/s up. No reliable ping times in several tests.

7. The itinerary is fluid. We got several changes due to COVID rates. No stop in Trinidad, Tobago or Martinique.

8. The excursions were generally of the bus ride or beach variety. Very little "on your own" available.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 10:26 PM, jansplan said:

I would say that you have a within 72 hours of your cruise a current PCR test.  

I just found out from Face Book group Grandeur of the Seas, December 26 that we will not have to show the PCR when embarking even if your 3 day window has expired because of arriving in barbados earlier!  Yay!

To enter Barbados, you are required to have a negative RT-PCR test taken within 72 hours of arrival. Royal will also conduct, at their cost a rapid test at the port as part of the process to board the ship. If you are stying pre cruise in Barbados, say for or five days, you do not need to take a rapid test within three days of boarding as it will be done at the port

The Barbados government entry details can be found at the following URL

https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-19-travel-guidelines-2021

Also an excellent website to visit is Sherpa, and put in the details and it will give you all the details and links to require forms and apps

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions

Also this is an email from Royal

Dear Guest,

As promised, we’re reaching out with details about scheduling your boarding day antigen test for COVID-19, which will be conducted in the terminal by our medical services partner, Urgent Care Barbados, for all guests 2 and older regardless of vaccination status.

Register for your Test

It's important to register for your boarding day antigen test as soon as possible to avoid delays in your check-in process.

Lastly, please note, the above boarding day antigen test is in addition to the entry PCR test result for guests 5 and older and the pre-cruise PCR test result for unvaccinated guests 2 to 11 years old.

Register for your test
  • Each guest must register with Urgent Care Barbados. Parents, you’ll need to register for your children.
  • Issues registering for your boarding day antigen test for COVID-19? Contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649.
  • Click here to register with Urgent Care Barbados to schedule your antigen test for COVID-19.
Boarding day
  • Testing is being held at the cruise terminal, where you’ll check-in.
  • All guests ages 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to take this test in order to board. Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested at the terminal.
  • It’s important that you show up exactly at your selected check-in time. Otherwise, you may be asked to return at a later time.
  • If you're feeling unwell, please stay home and contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649. We will gladly work with you to reschedule or refund your cruise.
After your test
  • Our testing partner, Urgent Care Barbados, will provide your results via email.
    • Please note, your results will also be shared with Royal Caribbean International. 
  • If your result is negative and you’re approved to sail, we’ll look forward to welcoming you onboard!
  • If your result is positive or inconclusive, a pier agent will share next steps with you. Rest assured, we will take care of you.

And remember, please stay safe – it's important to continue wearing your mask, keeping a safe distance from others, washing your hands often, etc.

We’re looking forward to seeing you onboard!

Sincerely, 

Royal Caribbean International

I have been defeated.  If I didn't have a real job, and had time to return to University for the 4th-Year Course ... "Travelling in a Pandemic 401", I think I could prepare for my Grandeur Cruise in FEB 2022.  However, the "Gods conspire against me", and this latest one has put me on the sidelines until MAY 2022 (our next cruise ... hopefully):

image.thumb.png.e29f67b2c32f521fb96bdafb5bdd3666.png

Given the number of emails we get sent, the number of politicians screwing this up, news outlets "flipping a coin" to determine what to say next, and science being shuffled into the background, we will be sitting on the sidelines for the next few months.  We will continue to live vicariously through the many contributors on this forum (thanks to all) ... every time we cancel a cruise, we schedule 1 or 2 more.  I feel very sad for our great TA at MEI (Jacki).  

Good luck to all ... we will be watching for now.

Stay Safe, Stay Apart, Stay Connected,

Curt from Canada and his lovely and talented Soulmate.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:06 AM, rjweber3 said:

Just returned from the December 5th inigural cruise out of BGI. 

1. PCR three days prior to entering Barbados. They checked this in the US prior to flying.

Hope this helps.

@rjweber3, where did you find the correct PCR test that Barbados requires for entry (not a nasal swab?). Either throat swab or the invasive Sinus scraping PCR test?   Have not found testing locations around me that do the original PCR testing.   Trying to find The 2 allowed types listed in the Barbados website. 

Thanks for any help. 

D4FA5701-53EF-43C7-AB8B-29D618218965.png

4 hours ago, Zurc said:

@rjweber3, where did you find the correct PCR test that Barbados requires for entry (not a nasal swab?). Either throat swab or the invasive Sinus scraping PCR test?   Have not found testing locations around me that do the original PCR testing.   Trying to find The 2 allowed types listed in the Barbados website. 

Thanks for any help. 

D4FA5701-53EF-43C7-AB8B-29D618218965.png

In British Columbia Life Labs.  It wasn't the deep nasal, but a mouth swab followed by a mid nasal cavity swab.  As I said earlier, if they don't accept what you have they will give you one in Barbados.  Tourism is their industry.... they want your money and will hope that you are healthy and can spend it there.  Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Last Lion said:

Hey Jansplan,

how did you get the required PCR a test to enter Canada from Barbados?

I lucked out as Royal Caribbean provided it on board.  I believe as of Jan 6, the tests were going to be available at the terminal but at the customer's expense.  This would make it difficult if one is planning on getting on a plane to Canada immediately.  

10 minutes ago, Last Lion said:

Thank-you for the info. Yes flight leaves at 3 pm so if provided at the terminal they best be bloody quick!

May I suggest that you join the FB group Grandeur of the Seas (insert which ever date you're on).  I joined Jan 2 and Jan 9 group.  Really helpful.

• 1 month later...