Upgrades and Crown and Anchor points

alamode123

I originally booked a solo cabin for 8 nights on Odyssey on Jan 15th, 2022. Because of Royal's double points promotion, I should get 16 points.

Royal then moved my cabin for COVID re-assignment to a regular balcony room (not solo room). Do I now get 32 points?

If my Royal Up comes through, I'll be a solo person in a Jr suite. Will I now get 48 points?

Royal Up - you only get the points from your old stateroom. Yet, you have to pay increased gratuities usually. Balcony gets the same points as a interior room, I believe. Solo gets double points. We just did a JS that was booked before October. 3 night cruise, double occupancy - we got 12 points each.

19 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

I originally booked a solo cabin for 8 nights on Odyssey on Jan 15th, 2022. Because of Royal's double points promotion, I should get 16 points.

Royal then moved my cabin for COVID re-assignment to a regular balcony room (not solo room). Do I now get 32 points?

If my Royal Up comes through, I'll be a solo person in a Jr suite. Will I now get 48 points?

No. Only solo in a suite will net you 6pt per night, which would have been 48 pts. If you Royal-up you will get the points assigned to your original booking. So as a solo you earn 4pt per night which is 32 points. So even if you win your bid, you will still get only 32pts. If you just upgrade to a jr. suite then you would get 48pts.

Technically you get points based on your "Booked" cabin type, not your "Berthed" cabin type. 

Since you booked a studio cabin that is what you should expect points for.

Royal might view your "booked" cabin as a regular balcony depending how they did the move in the system.    There is a small chance you could qualify for 4x points based on solo in a regular cabin but don't be disappointed if that doesn't happen.  

Royal Up never changes the calculation of points.  If you Royal Up into a suite from a non-suite cabin you will be awarded points based on your original booked cabin type (non-suite studio).  

22 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

No. Only solo in a suite will net you 6pt per night, which would have been 48 pts. If you Royal-up you will get the points assigned to your original booking. So as a solo you earn 4pt per night which is 32 points. So even if you win your bid, you will still get only 32pts. If you just upgrade to a jr. suite then you would get 48pts.

So the reassignment counts, just not the Royal up?

I think it's still worth the $400 bid for a Jr suite from a balcony room, extra points or not.

2 hours ago, alamode123 said:

So the reassignment counts, just not the Royal up?

I think it's still worth the $400 bid for a Jr suite from a balcony room, extra points or not.

A Jr. Suite on odyssey for only $400 extra is definitely worth it IMHO. 

If your invoice says the new cabin, it should count as that wasn't a third-party upgrade.

I found a image on a travel agent training guide that illustrates how Royal tracks the category you booked versus the category you sail in.

Price Category = What you booked

Berth Category = What you actually sail in

1287773350_RoyalPriceBerthCategory.thumb.jpg.f3aabb7766d32ffe774c32801a4ddb91.jpg

When it comes to awarding points in C&A all they need to do is look at the "Price Category" to determine the basis for your points.  If that is a studio cabin you get one point per night (or two with the double points promo).  If that field is a double occupancy standard cabin and you are solo then it's 2 points per night (or 4 points with the double points promo).  If that field is a suite category and you are solo then it's 3 points per night (or 6 points per night with the double points promo).

When you use RoyalUp to upgrade the "Berth Category" changes but the "Price Category" does not.  This way Royal will always know what you originally paid for versus what you ended up sailing in.

In your case having booked a studio cabin the "Price Category" might still show that you paid for a studio cabin.  If that is the case then you only get points based on booking a studio cabin.

If whoever moved you into a double occupancy cabin made that move in a way that changed the "Price Category" then you just may get points based on solo in a double occupancy cabin.   If that person or system moved you and the "Price Category" remained the same (your original studio category) then it is unlikely you'll get any more points over what you paid for.