Just got off OASIS OF THE SEAS Nov 28, 2021 Western Caribbean Sailing - Ask Me Anything...

mattpan

My wife and I just got off Oasis of the Seas, November 28, 2021 Western Caribbean Sailing. We had a balcony stateroom, 11624. Ports of call were Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya. We had a great time despite the Covid precautions. Our ship had ~3900 guests and it felt EMPTY. We had the Deluxe Beverage Package and The Key. The only real "excursions" we purchased were the Coco Beach Club and waterpark at Coco Cay, both were great!

I know there are a lot of questions these days about how things are working, what's changed, etc...I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Can't promise I can answer all but I'll try.

Matt

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

How was water temp at cococay?

Did you cruise with kids? Curious about AO capacity

The temp was good the day we were there, maybe high 70's, low 80's. A little breezy. The water in the water park was fine. Did not cruise with kids, there weren't many on the ship especially since it was the week after Thanksgiving.

1 hour ago, mattpan said:

My wife and I just got off Oasis of the Seas, November 28, 2021 Western Caribbean Sailing. We had a balcony stateroom, 11624. Ports of call were Coco Cay, Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya. We had a great time despite the Covid precautions. Our ship had ~3900 guests and it felt EMPTY. We had the Deluxe Beverage Package and The Key. The only real "excursions" we purchased were the Coco Beach Club and waterpark at Coco Cay, both were great!

I know there are a lot of questions these days about how things are working, what's changed, etc...I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Can't promise I can answer all but I'll try.

Matt

Could you share more info about other 3 stops? 

Where did you go? What beaches? 

I'll be at same stops in the spring 

12 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Could you share more info about other 3 stops? 

Where did you go? What beaches? 

I'll be at same stops in the spring 

Vlad, due to trying to stay away from the crowds and having been at those stops numerous times we decided to mostly stay on the ship for the other three stops so can't really comment on the beaches. We got off the ship in Cozumel and Costa Maya just to do some shopping in the ports. Masks were required in all enclosed spaces (not outside with adequate social distancing) but honestly we noticed nothing was strongly enforced. We really didn't spend much time off the ship for the three ports you ask about. Sorry

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, scary43 said:

How do you know there were 3900 passengers on your sailing? 

I heard this number from the Captain during the Q&A with him on the last day. I also head this number from a staff member at Coco Cay when I was asking if the crowds were "normal". It felt empty on Coco Cay that day. 

• 3 weeks later...

We are purchasing the deluxe beverage package on our upcoming cruise and I was curious if you had to take the drink cup everywhere you went or not?   We may want a coke every once in awhile (mostly drinking adult beverages) but didn't know if we had to carry the cup with us.

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, at52299 said:

We are purchasing the deluxe beverage package on our upcoming cruise and I was curious if you had to take the drink cup everywhere you went or not?   We may want a coke every once in awhile (mostly drinking adult beverages) but didn't know if we had to carry the cup with us.

Thanks!

‘The freestyle drink cup is only to get self serve soda drinks from the freestyle Coke machines ……. You can order soda from any bar and they give you it in a can or a glass.

Also, right now because of “Covid” they aren’t even leaving the freestyle cups in your room.  If you have the DBP and want them, you have to go to a bar and ask for the cups.

How did the Key work out for you? We’re you able to still take advantage of the various perks even though there were certain Covid protocols? 

We have the Key purchased for an upcoming cruise on Oasis in February and I am wondering if the other perks (besides Voom and the Chops welcome lunch) were noticeable, or if they were basically nonexistent with the protocols in place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 4:52 PM, ChrisK2793 said:

‘The freestyle drink cup is only to get self serve soda drinks from the freestyle Coke machines ……. You can order soda from any bar and they give you it in a can or a glass.

Also, right now because of “Covid” they aren’t even leaving the freestyle cups in your room.  If you have the DBP and want them, you have to go to a bar and ask for the cups.

Hi!  Cruise newbie here - like just booked last week, watching YouTube vloggers, and Googling questions kind of new.  If we do get just the soda package, can we get sodas at places BESIDES the Freestyle machines?  I don't drink at all and my husband may only have 1 or 2 beers the whole trip.  We plan on taking a 12 pack of Cokes for our room, so don't know if it'd be worth it to worry with the soda package if we're always looking around for a Freestyle machine.  I know you said they'll give you a can or glass, but didn't know if that applied to just people with the bigger drink packages or to the soda only one, too. 

Thanks! 

9 minutes ago, MelandyGA said:

I know you said they'll give you a can or glass, but didn't know if that applied to just people with the bigger drink packages or to the soda only one, too. 

You can order a soda anywhere that has them with just the soda package. Your SeaPass card will show that you have the package. You only need the cups to access the Freestyle machines.

31 minutes ago, MelandyGA said:

Hi!  Cruise newbie here - like just booked last week, watching YouTube vloggers, and Googling questions kind of new.  If we do get just the soda package, can we get sodas at places BESIDES the Freestyle machines?  I don't drink at all and my husband may only have 1 or 2 beers the whole trip.  We plan on taking a 12 pack of Cokes for our room, so don't know if it'd be worth it to worry with the soda package if we're always looking around for a Freestyle machine.  I know you said they'll give you a can or glass, but didn't know if that applied to just people with the bigger drink packages or to the soda only one, too. 

Thanks! 

Yes, with the soda package you don’t even have to use the freestyle machine at all if you don’t want to.  You can order cans of soda or fountain soda at any bar, club, restaurant, etc and they won’t cost anything with the soda package.  The soda is coke products.

6 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Yes, with the soda package you don’t even have to use the freestyle machine at all if you don’t want to.  You can order cans of soda or fountain soda at any bar, club, restaurant, etc and they won’t cost anything with the soda package.  The soda is coke products.

In the past, the soda and/or refreshment packages only included fountain sodas.  In order to get cans you need to have the DBP.  That being said, you can usually get them to give you a can but technically you’re not entitled to it unless you have the DBP.  That is one reason I always purchase the UDP b/c I am a supreme Coke snob and really hate fountain drinks.  I assume the rules are still the same but I’m not sure since we haven’t cruised since the restart.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:56 PM, FamilyCruiser123 said:

How did the Key work out for you? We’re you able to still take advantage of the various perks even though there were certain Covid protocols? 

We have the Key purchased for an upcoming cruise on Oasis in February and I am wondering if the other perks (besides Voom and the Chops welcome lunch) were noticeable, or if they were basically nonexistent with the protocols in place.

In my opinion the Key was good for just a few things: Early boarding, the embarkation lunch (meh), free room service (although this may be only a perk some get due to covid), and being the first off the ship so we could make our flight. Next time we cruise we will try to enjoy the disembarkation breakfast. We otherwise might not get the Key...

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

In the past, the soda and/or refreshment packages only included fountain sodas.  In order to get cans you need to have the DBP.  That being said, you can usually get them to give you a can but technically you’re not entitled to it unless you have the DBP.  That is one reason I always purchase the UDP b/c I am a supreme Coke snob and really hate fountain drinks.  I assume the rules are still the same but I’m not sure since we haven’t cruised since the restart.

I learned something new and you’re correct ……. It does say freestyle machine OR fountain soda on the soda package description …… no mention of cans …… since they always gave us cans with the Deluxe Beverage Package, I just assumed cans were part of the soda package as well.

I wonder what would happen if you had the soda package and asked for Coke Zero at a bar or restaurant?  That’s in the freestyle machine but only seems to come in cans at the bars and restaurants on the ship.