Voom wifi - secure?

levib2

15 minutes ago, leesam82 said:

Personally for me any public wifi I deem as not secure. I just don't use public wifi for anything deemed sensitive. But that just my personal opinion

This. Consider a VPN. Doubt hackers are taking a cruise just to hack ... But, safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It's as secure as any other public wifi. 

Actually public wifi has a lot of different levels of security/safety. 

Often times an off the shelf router is used to provide access in many medium and small businesses. That coupled with default settings and likely little to no updates made or available and it can put you at a much higher risk than RCCL's offering which actually prevents you from even seeing other devices. 

The reason why wifi with default settings is bad is because someone with ill intent can go in and change the firmware out for something that can route all data through something they control. That is actually one of the worst things that can happen. 

1 hour ago, MuttMutt said:

Actually public wifi has a lot of different levels of security/safety. 

Often times an off the shelf router is used to provide access in many medium and small businesses. That coupled with default settings and likely little to no updates made or available and it can put you at a much higher risk than RCCL's offering which actually prevents you from even seeing other devices. 

The reason why wifi with default settings is bad is because someone with ill intent can go in and change the firmware out for something that can route all data through something they control. That is actually one of the worst things that can happen. 

I'm just saying if you have concerns about security in any public wifi, then take precautions (like a VPN)

VPN saved my bacon recently when I needed to install a number of apps for an unexpected flight home mid-cruise.

The Apple app store is blocked by policy on Voom, only select apps can be accessed such as the Royal app.  I couldn't load some travel apps I needed to upload vaccination and tests results into unless I activated my VPN, then I could install the apps needed.  

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

VPN saved my bacon recently when I needed to install a number of apps for an unexpected flight home mid-cruise.

The Apple app store is blocked by policy on Voom, only select apps can be accessed such as the Royal app.  I couldn't load some travel apps I needed to upload vaccination and tests results into unless I activated my VPN, then I could install the apps needed.  

Did you have full internet access or something different.  It seems odd that with access all but one app would be blocked.  I actually installed a couple different apps with voom surf and stream while onboard on our last trip.

31 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

Did you have full internet access or something different.  It seems odd that with access all but one app would be blocked.  I actually installed a couple different apps with voom surf and stream while onboard on our last trip.

The app store wouldn't connect at all, like I was not connected to the internet.  Connected VPN and I could search apps and load them.  

5 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

Interesting and odd... 

SES/O3b does a lot of filtering and policing of traffic to avoid hundreds of devices all trying to upload the daily pictures they took to the cloud and to avoid hundreds of devices trying to update apps and operating systems.

Unsure about the Google Play store, but Apple cloud services definitely have some filtering in play.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

SES/O3b does a lot of filtering and policing of traffic to avoid hundreds of devices all trying to upload the daily pictures they took to the cloud and to avoid hundreds of devices trying to update apps and operating systems.

Unsure about the Google Play store, but Apple cloud services definitely have some filtering in play.

Never had a bit of issue and did a few live streams,  app updates and new downloads, and I believe my S21 os updated as well. I did spring for the surf and stream I also use alternative DNS servers than those provided by whatever wifi ap I am connected to.