Royal Up - Suites

AAD

Hi All -  

For those experienced with this bidding/auction for the suite category, I wanted to get your input on this scenario... 

We are on Symphony for 12/31.   I'm booked for a WS GTY.  I'm just assuming that it's going to be a JS - there are TONS in the inventory.   I've bid on GS1 (19 inventory) at $1000pp;  GS2 (0) at $1600 Max pp;  OS (9) at $1750 pp;  CLS (15 - Lots) at $1500 pp;  AS1 (1) $1700 pp;  and AS2 (1) $2500 pp.   Overall, the ship is not at all booked for the staterooms either; there are many in each category.  

I really want the GS2 for a separate bedroom for our daughter but not likely given the inventory... Next choice is AS2 - not likely with the low bid and inventory.   So, I'm shooting for OS and hope not to just get GS1.  Any tips on whether I should up or lower these bids to accomplish this?  I'm at 20-40% on the bidometer for most. 

This is fun... but nervewracking.... lol   Thanks!    

You should just bid what you are comfortable with and then don't stress over it. There's no secret to winning, beyond the strongest bid winning. In some cases, what you are giving up matters because they can then award it yo someone else. 

For Star class, you can factor in the savings from any drink package, dining package and tips into your bid.

2 hours ago, AAD said:

Hi All -  

For those experienced with this bidding/auction for the suite category, I wanted to get your input on this scenario... 

We are on Symphony for 12/31.   I'm booked for a WS GTY.  I'm just assuming that it's going to be a JS - there are TONS in the inventory.   I've bid on GS1 (19 inventory) at $1000pp;  GS2 (0) at $1600 Max pp;  OS (9) at $1750 pp;  CLS (15 - Lots) at $1500 pp;  AS1 (1) $1700 pp;  and AS2 (1) $2500 pp.   Overall, the ship is not at all booked for the staterooms either; there are many in each category.  

I really want the GS2 for a separate bedroom for our daughter but not likely given the inventory... Next choice is AS2 - not likely with the low bid and inventory.   So, I'm shooting for OS and hope not to just get GS1.  Any tips on whether I should up or lower these bids to accomplish this?  I'm at 20-40% on the bidometer for most. 

This is fun... but nervewracking.... lol   Thanks!    

I’ve bid Suites with much success (with the exception of 1 unfortunate loss on my record so far). At one point I thought the formula was as simple as just bid a very high bid (max in most cases) for the suite you really want and then put in some “Hail Mary” bids on the suites that are better then what you have currently booked but don’t really mind win or lose. Until recently I’ve bid max and won every single time but I’ve been bidding from a sky class to sky class (example grand suite to CLS). Now that the ships are ramping up I think chances are slim especially to Star class. I will let someone else elaborate as to how this 3rd party auction system actually works but I do know it’s a complicated system with many moving parts. My next 3 sailings are all Holiday sailings which further complicate things but it will be my first attempt at upgrading from balcony rooms to sky class and I have little to no confidence in winning even with all max bids. 

If there’s a rhyme or reason, I haven’t been able to figure it out. 

For example:  On Adventure back in September, we bid minimum on a JS and just below mid range on a GS.  We got the JS and met a couple onboard who got a GS with the minimum bid…. Which was less than we bid for a GS. 

For our money, we book a cabin we will be happy in.  If we do a Royal Up and are successful, it’s a bonus. 

5 hours ago, teddy said:

If there’s a rhyme or reason, I haven’t been able to figure it out. 

For example:  On Adventure back in September, we bid minimum on a JS and just below mid range on a GS.  We got the JS and met a couple onboard who got a GS with the minimum bid…. Which was less than we bid for a GS. 

For our money, we book a cabin we will be happy in.  If we do a Royal Up and are successful, it’s a bonus. 

Hmmm you might have gotten the JS that perhaps the other had and then they got the GS!  If you were in a balcony going to a GS it makes sense that Royal wanted the JS to move to the GS and give you the JS rather than move you from balcony to GS since maybe no one wanted a balcony?  I’ve read on here that whatever makes the most money sense is how the Royal ups work out best.

Thanks, guys. Very interesting.  Yea- my preferred budget is $3k. I only bid $5k for Star to get the beverage/dining/Zoom, etc.  I will let you know what happens!  For some reason, the CLS doesn’t look all that great, as compared to a more traditional OS or AQS.  Could anyone compare or offer their experiences?  We live in a contemporary home with 10 ft. ceilings. So maybe I am not wanting the same on a ship…. 

7 minutes ago, AAD said:

Thanks, guys. Very interesting.  Yea- my preferred budget is $3k. I only bid $5k for Star to get the beverage/dining/Zoom, etc.  I will let you know what happens!  For some reason, the CLS doesn’t look all that great, as compared to a more traditional OS or AQS.  Could anyone compare or offer their experiences?  We live in a contemporary home with 10 ft. ceilings. So maybe I am not wanting the same on a ship…. 

The CLSs are on Deck 17, with the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen.  I'll take that all day long.  It was so nice to be up on that deck.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The CLSs are on Deck 17, with the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen.  I'll take that all day long.  It was so nice to be up on that deck.

Silly as it seems I'll add to the mix the corridor/hallway the suites are on.

Nice having a wide hallway, not playing dodge cart and the ability that two people could walk side-by-side. Also the area isn't as bright as the other decks. Lighting wise is it a bit dimmer.

I'll also toss this in with the CLS. While you don't have a second bedroom, you at least have a second bathroom.

8 hours ago, AAD said:

It’s all about the location. Deck 17 is where it’s at.

We love the quiet of 17, the doorbell never rang. When staying in the Owners Suite deck 11 on the Harmony I walked into the pole (hated that pole) and the doorbell did not stop. 17 was heaven! This was a Thanksgiving sailing with lots of kids who were drawn to the doorbell, all day all night.....

10 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

I am in the minority.  I prefer the GS to the CLS.  I felt isolated on Deck 17.  

I am not a tremendous fan of the CLS either.  I do enjoy being on Deck 17 but I don't care for the narrow room/balcony and the stairs.  I do like having 2 bathrooms.  IMO the Owner's Suites are the best....until you reach SC of course.

2 hours ago, Neesa said:

We love the quiet of 17, the doorbell never rang. When staying in the Owners Suite deck 11 on the Harmony I walked into the pole (hated that pole) and the doorbell did not stop. 17 was heaven! This was a Thanksgiving sailing with lots of kids who were drawn to the doorbell, all day all night.....

Yes, we were getting doorbell rings all the time in 1708 on the Thanksgiving Harmony sailing! Apparently they got us all! 

How funny!  This is our first ever cruise so this is all new/news!  I think that I am going to lower my bids, after reading some threads about RoyalUp luck on low capacity sailings in Fall 2021.   It certainly appears that this 12/31 sailing is at 50-60% capacity is my guess.  

24 minutes ago, AAD said:

How funny!  This is our first ever cruise so this is all new/news!  I think that I am going to lower my bids, after reading some threads about RoyalUp luck on low capacity sailings in Fall 2021.   It certainly appears that this 12/31 sailing is at 50-60% capacity is my guess.  

I wouldn’t lower your bid if you want a better chance at an upgrade. RC is ramping up capacity so not sure 50-60% is accurate. I heard late December sailing as at full capacity. 

23 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I wouldn’t lower your bid if you want a better chance at an upgrade. RC is ramping up capacity so not sure 50-60% is accurate. I heard late December sailing as at full capacity. 

I’m currently on the Symphony for the December 4th sailing. According to the cruise director, we are around 3800 passengers and expects the December 18th sailing to be around 5,000.

7 minutes ago, GaryAA said:

I’m currently on the Symphony for the December 4th sailing. According to the cruise director, we are around 3800 passengers and expects the December 18th sailing to be around 5,000.

Thanks, Gary.  What's this ship's capacity?  Did you try to RoyalUp?  

One time pre pandemic we were booked in a balcony  and decided to see if we could pay the difference to "upgrade" to a suite, RC at that time said yes (no fuss, or stress just dollars lots of them).  Not sure about nowadays, however since that point we now try the bidding game, and we are running about 50%/50%.  It is fun, checking the room online and checking the CC to see if I have been charged or not.

It is crazy "fun".... I've not been checking my Amex, as I'm scared to from all of the holiday shopping!  Worried that by the time of any RoyalUp, Amex is going to say "hell no".  Lol   I'm also waiting on the suite assignment for my GTY.   Does anyone know-  are certain JS for 2 people only?   When I do a "mock booking" for us 3, it only shows 4 JS available but if I do one for 2 people, there are TONS.  

2 hours ago, not easy being green said:

One time pre pandemic we were booked in a balcony  and decided to see if we could pay the difference to "upgrade" to a suite, RC at that time said yes (no fuss, or stress just dollars lots of them).  Not sure about nowadays, however since that point we now try the bidding game, and we are running about 50%/50%.  It is fun, checking the room online and checking the CC to see if I have been charged or not.

8 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I just got my first Royal Up offer for 2/3 of my Jan cruises. I have a Jr. Suite on Indy and I am offered to go up in suites starting at $80pp for a GS. I am traveling solo and wonder if this a good idea considering its 1. no real suite perks and 2. a 4-day cruise.

Don’t you go from Sea to Sky class which gives you Zoom perks?  I’ve only looked at Symphony so not sure of Indy. I think the GS looks much more luxe and like a real suite than a JS - on Symphony.  Also you get better Coastal Kitchen access with Sky Class. 

7 minutes ago, AAD said:

Don’t you go from Sea to Sky class which gives you Zoom perks?  I’ve only looked at Symphony so not sure of Indy. I think the GS looks much more luxe and like a real suite than a JS - on Symphony.  Also you get better Coastal Kitchen access with Sky Class. 

You do not get complimentary Voom on ships that are not Oasis or Quantum class.  In fact, those are the only classes of ships that have "sea/sky/star" class designations.  There is also no Coastal Kitchen on ships that are not Oasis or Quantum.

We are struggling with choosing to bid for RoyalUp on our following cruises. Leaning towards no, but interested in others thoughts.

First time on Freedom, we have an Aft JS, as we like the wake view, and bought the Key, only so we can get on early. I see GS available mid/forward. We are D+, and can not seem to find any real benefit apart form the Suite Lounge should we change to a GS. I think we will stay for the view? Does Freedom offer any extra benefits for a real suite?

First time on Symphony and doing a B2B, we have a GS for both sailing and same room number so we do not need to change for the second leg. I figure we have access to all the extras but would normally not pay for a Star class suite, but the prices to bid seem reasonable. We are trying to work out if the headache of part packing to move cabins is worth the opportunity to try a Star class suite.  

I know a couple of you guys will, without any hesitation say go Star class. Am I right @SpeedNoodles Oh, these first world stresses of what to do?

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

GS is still a suite, it just doesn't have some of the benefits of those on the larger classes of ship.

Although lacking Coastal Kitchen, the suites on Freedom and Voyager class designate a specialty dining venue (chops in my experiences) as a suite only breakfast area. I found this to be a valuable perk, especially traveling with children. The food seemed superior to main dining room and service was exceptional and quick. It is also more quite and intimate. Never went to Windjammer.

1 hour ago, CruisingOz said:

We are struggling with choosing to bid for RoyalUp on our following cruises. Leaning towards no, but interested in others thoughts.

First time on Freedom, we have an Aft JS, as we like the wake view, and bought the Key, only so we can get on early. I see GS available mid/forward. We are D+, and can not seem to find any real benefit apart form the Suite Lounge should we change to a GS. I think we will stay for the view? Does Freedom offer any extra benefits for a real suite?

First time on Symphony and doing a B2B, we have a GS for both sailing and same room number so we do not need to change for the second leg. I figure we have access to all the extras but would normally not pay for a Star class suite, but the prices to bid seem reasonable. We are trying to work out if the headache of part packing to move cabins is worth the opportunity to try a Star class suite.  

I know a couple of you guys will, without any hesitation say go Star class. Am I right @SpeedNoodles Oh, these first world stresses of what to do?

Me, I would put a minimum bid on all of them. That way you’re not expecting anything but if you do win you got a screaming deal and you won’t mind giving up your old rooms!

I know sky/star class exist on the oasis and quantum class. I was planning on ordering room service for breakfast and enjoying on my balcony, so if free room service was a perk, then I would go ahead and bid.

This is just me, but suites are more beneficial when you have more than one person in the room. Jr.suite is prefect when travelling solo and I was only entertaining bidding on a GS if the perks were more than I read.

1 hour ago, CruisingOz said:

I would say if you can try Star class at a decent price yolo for real. If an opportunity arise, you never know when or if you will get the chance again.