Any Suggestions for San Juan Puerto Rico?

12thman

Anyone have suggestions for things to do in Puerto Rico that doesn't include water activities? We did the bus ride that went around Puerto Rico and found it very disappointing. Looking to put together a few places to go, maybe a Private Journeys tour. Thanks in advance!!

• 12thman changed the title to Any Suggestions for San Juan Puerto Rico?

is it your departure port OR a port of call

either way Old San Juan has a lot of history with 2 huge forts and other interesting things in the old walled city.

The if you have the time Visit El Yunque National Forest is the only tropical rain forest in the U.S. and when we toured years ago it was quite interesting.  Check on Covid restriction now though.

We also like the Bacardi rum factory tour, but that may be a personal choice.

49 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

is it your departure port OR a port of call

either way Old San Juan has a lot of history with 2 huge forts and other interesting things in the old walled city.

The if you have the time Visit El Yunque National Forest is the only tropical rain forest in the U.S. and when we toured years ago it was quite interesting.  Check on Covid restriction now though.

We also like the Bacardi rum factory tour, but that may be a personal choice.

Port of call. Be there for 8 hours.

23 hours ago, 12thman said:

Port of call. Be there for 8 hours.

if you are able to walk i would see both forts in old town and maybe stop for a lunch.

There is a ferry that goes across the bay and saves the long drive around to the Bacardi rum distillery you, if that interests.

I would only venture to the rain forest on a ships tour if it was me, due to the amount of time it takes to get there

We love San Juan, but usually we sail from there, rather that port stops.  Will be there last 2 weeks of Jan in about 6 weeks

We've had two post-cruise excursions in San Juan.

The first was an Old San Juan tour that was interesting, but, a seemed a bit disorganized. Could have been done better. It may have been better to get over there on our own to better explore it.

FYI: Visiting ships dock on the Old San Juan side while Embarking/Disembarking ships dock at the terminal across the bay.

The second was a visit to the El Yunque National Forest that was a very good tour. The walk up the Yahaku Tower provides awesome views over the forest and all the way down to Fortuna Beach. Some beautiful waterfalls. A stop along a rocky river was also fun as our guide brought day old bread from a local bakery for everyone to feed the fish. A lunch stop at La Muralla on the way back down was delicious. (Not included in the tour cost, but very reasonable).

1 hour ago, SPS said:

We've had two post-cruise excursions in San Juan.

The first was an Old San Juan tour that was interesting, but, a seemed a bit disorganized. Could have been done better. It may have been better to get over there on our own to better explore it.

FYI: Visiting ships dock on the Old San Juan side while Embarking/Disembarking ships dock at the terminal across the bay.

The second was a visit to the El Yunque National Forest that was a very good tour. The walk up the Yahaku Tower provides awesome views over the forest and all the way down to Fortuna Beach. Some beautiful waterfalls. A stop along a rocky river was also fun as our guide brought day old bread from a local bakery for everyone to feed the fish. A lunch stop at La Muralla on the way back down was delicious. (Not included in the tour cost, but very reasonable).

Thanks!

Try this pub crawl. My son and I made it up on the fly in San Juan, during a 14 day TA in 2019.

• Cafe del Angels--ordered the house tropical rum drink. Kinda weak. Switched to the local Medella Light Beer for the rest of the crawl. Our waiter suggested running outside to buy some pastries from the "day-old bakery truck" that was making the rounds. Pretty good sugary donut for a buck.
  • Douglas--great vibe. Located in a two story corner structure, with a pool table upstairs.
  • Verde Luz--nearby Douglas.
  • La Bodega Del Viejo--nearby Castillo San Christobal.
  • Los 3 Cuernos--bring a buck to tape to the wall.
  • Ajo Del País--the man tending bar was a big baseball fan. We talked over a couple of Medella's and he gave us complimentary Plantain chips.

I'll be repeating this with my wife in Feb, when we're on the Symphony.

• 5 months later...
On 5/24/2022 at 8:08 AM, buffalo770 said:

Thanks for the info. We will be in San Juan for a couple of days prior to our cruise in April 2023. Making plans for the things we must do.

I know this is an old post, but we did a walking tour of Old San Juan this past April that we found here https://www.thejellybeans.net/docs/WalkingTour_PuertoRico_SanJuan_OldSanJuan.pdf