Voom - please confirm that I have this correctg

levib2

Looks like you have it right.

The most important step is to make sure your WiFi calling feature is working before you board the ship. 

Try it at home.  Go into airplane mode, connect to your home WiFi and try to make a call or send a text.  If it works at home today, then it should work using a paid Voom internet plan.  If it doesn't work at home today, it's not going to magically work on Voom.  Get it working at home and you should be all set.

1 hour ago, levib2 said:

Thanks so much for all your help with this...One more thing please....

If I set my phone to Wifi calling as suggested, does this mean I can  call from the ship to the US without fear of any extra charges?

Typically that is the way most cellular companies work, but ultimately that is a question for your cellular company.

The cruise line is completely removed from this equation, it is entirely up to your cell phone company.

2 hours ago, levib2 said:

If I set my phone to Wifi calling as suggested, does this mean I can  call from the ship to the US without fear of any extra charges?

My carrier is AT&T.  I have not been charged extra for incoming and outgoing calls made via WiFi calling.  

Warning though, make sure to put your phone on Airplane Mode.  Whenever I forget to do this, AT&T sends me a text message as soon as the ship gets outside of the AT&T coverage area, warning me of roaming charges.

The biggest tip here is don’t forget to enable airplane mode before sailaway! …then turn on WiFi.
What I do is make sure whoever may need to contact me knows I’m on WiFi only…so text, email or Messenger. I’m an Androider (new word?) so I don’t have FaceTime…but Messenger video works just as well. WhatsApp…not so well for me. I let people know there may be some delay because sometimes the ship's WiFi can go down occasionally, so be patient. Sometimes it’s not the same instant connection as on land. I know my carrier has Travel and International options but I’m okay with just the WiFi. For me…usually it’s best to just disconnect and enjoy the now!😎

3 hours ago, levib2 said:

Thanks so much for all your help with this...One more thing please....

If you are unsure about wifi calling use services like google voice or other VOip such as line, whatsapp, kakotalk. They all you to call any phone # over the wifi. The only caviat is if you are a US user for google voice, you will be charged a low international rate to call phone #'s outside of your home country. I personally use google voice alot while I am traveling internationally.