First RC Cruise... Couple Questions

Hi.  Very excited for our upcoming Royal Carribean cruise out of Galveston Texas.  It's our first cruise and I have some questions.  Perhaps I will get more information as we get closer, or perhaps I missed it but here are the questions.

1. We will be taking an Uber to the cruise port.  What is the exact address we input into Uber?  I hear there are multiple terminals there.

2. We signed up for the 2pm boarding.  Does that mean I should plan the Uber to get there at 1:30 or store?  Or does RC literally want our car to pull up at 2pm?

3.  I understand RC has formal nights.  How do I know if we have a formal night?  And is it required to be dressed up or just recommended?

4. I believe I read we will need to sign up for the reservations for the shows and for the dining. I literally can't do that until I step on board and I use the app, correct?

Thank you for the help.

Welcome to the boards!

So for your questions:

1- I am not sure, I have never cruised out of Galveston. Someone else is sure to know, though!

2- It states your window starts 15 minutes early, so 1:45pm would be fine. If you are looking to board earlier, I recommend checking occasionally, as earlier times tend to open up again closer to sailing

3- I think every night has a formal (now dress your best night). You can be as formal as you want. On our most recent 3-night cruise, people wore everything from evening gowns to jeans and rock concert t-shirts

4- You need to use the app to reserve shows and dining once onboard. My advice (especially for dining) is to do it ASAP. Spots fill fast.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and I was able to be helpful!

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/driving-directions-port-galveston-texas 2702 Harborside drive. At least till the new terminal is built which is scheduled for completion around November 2022 if I remember correctly 

2 I would show up around 1:00 or so. They are pretty efficient so expect to be in early. Plus it gives you time to drop luggage and get your required papers and such ready. 

3 formal nights depend on the length of cruise. They are now dress you best but still there. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/formal-dress-code-guideline

4 get the app get the app get the app... if you are doing Main Dining room and have my time dining book every night as soon as you hit the ship. For shows you usually want to book 2 days before to make sure you have a space reserved. Only one person in the party needs to do the reservations but you will have to show the screen and your wristband before they let you in. 

1 - Port of Galveston
Cruise Terminal 2
2702 Harborside Dr. Pier 27
Galveston, TX

2 - Aim to be walking into the doors no earlier than 1:45 pm. The closer to 2, the better because they're pretty strict with boarding times in order to lessen the crowds.

3 - "Formal nights:

• 3/4/5 Night Cruises - Usually on Day 2
  • 6 Night Cruises - Usually on Day 2 and 5
  • 7 Night Cruises - Usually on Day 2 and 6
  • 8 - 10 Night Cruises - 2 Formal Nights, Days vary by ship and sailing
  • 11 - 14 Night Cruises - 3 Formal Nights, Days vary by ship and sailing
  • 15+ Night Cruises - 3 or 4 Formal Nights, Days and number vary by ship and sailing
  • Oasis and Allure - Day 2 and 5 on Western itineraries and Day 2 and 6 on Eastern itineraries"
    As for what to wear - whatever you feel dressy in, if you choose to participate at all. Formal dress code on formal nights really only applies to the main dining room so if you guys are more casual diners and like to grab pizza or hit the buffet, you don't even need to worry about it. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/formal-dress-code-guideline This page can help you out a bit.

4 - shows and specialty dining reservations need to be made on board now due to covid stuffs but yes, you can do that via the app. There will also be booths scattered about on boarding day for the restaurants and spa so you can go directly to them as well.

Galveston is an easy port to get around. The two terminals are next to each other and you will be going out of Terminal 2. Check in has been easy and there are many data terminals with folks manning them to get you going quickly. The main line once you enter the terminal moved quickly for us and remember to PRINT your negative COVID test and boarding pass. We saw folks who used only digital and they were flipping back and forth on their phones to get their negative results and boarding passes and it took them a while to get through. I think it had to do with poor reception in the building. We had all in print and sailed (caught that didn't you) right through. We organized ours with the three documents paper clipped together before we got there along with our passport and made it easy peasy. Have a great time on your cruise!

As far as dressed up for formal nights, we have nicer pants and shirts to wear but I did not wear even a tie or jacket on our cruises so far this year and I was definitely not the only one. It is up to you to dress as nice as you wish and no one looked down on anyone how they dressed.

4 hours ago, MuttMutt said:

if you are doing Main Dining room and have my time dining book every night as soon as you hit the ship

If this is your situation you could've booked ahead of time! There is an option to book MTD for free within the dining section of the cruise planner (at the verrrry bottom). You have to add it to your cart individually for all the days of your cruise and it's pretty inconvenient but you will have access to better time options than waiting till after boarding. 

13 hours ago, bryresangel said:

Welcome to the boards!

So for your questions:

1- I am not sure, I have never cruised out of Galveston. Someone else is sure to know, though!

2- It states your window starts 15 minutes early, so 1:45pm would be fine. If you are looking to board earlier, I recommend checking occasionally, as earlier times tend to open up again closer to sailing

3- I think every night has a formal (now dress your best night). You can be as formal as you want. On our most recent 3-night cruise, people wore everything from evening gowns to jeans and rock concert t-shirts

4- You need to use the app to reserve shows and dining once onboard. My advice (especially for dining) is to do it ASAP. Spots fill fast.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and I was able to be helpful!

How do you check and change your check in time?

1 hour ago, IzzyB said:

How do you check and change your check in time?

Go to the app or cruise planner and click on your check-in information. You can click the time and see if earlier times are available and then choose that time. If no earlier time is available, then don't do anything and keep your current time.