Cruise ship with 10 positive COVID cases heads for New Orleans, health officials say.

"“All of the identified cases onboard are asymptomatic,”"

OK I'm confused. What prompted the testing in the first place then?

This seems like one hell of a not-news story.

But then there's this junk

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the chance of getting COVID-19 on a cruise ship is high. The virus can spread easily in close quarters on a ship, the CDC said.

But...it hasn't

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The article said  no one was symptomatic.

Well I suppose with such quality journalism that it must be true.

No clue why they would randomly test otherwise.

The reports from the ship from the other messageboard site is they haven't started boarding yet and are going to require masks on this cruise. They're giving OBC and allowing folks to cancel for a refund as well. What a mess.

1 hour ago, cruisellama said:

Its stories like this that leads me to believe the CSO will remain in place (in some form) well into 2022.

I don't think so, cruise lines operating out of the US have made it abundantly clear they will not be going back to "normal" operations when the CSO ends.  I think all the lines have done a great job managing customer expectations as we head into 2022 and I would hope that would be enough for the CDC to drop the CSO.

Also according to the Washington Post which just put out an article about the cruise industry they are saying from June through October they could only find 1,350 COVID cases out of an estimated 600,000 passengers who've boarded a cruise ship here in the US.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/11/05/covid-cruise-cdc-positive-us/

What gets under my skin still is the continued flip flopping and/or double standard the cruise industry continues to face. The vaccines are meant to prevent serious illness, hospitalization and death as long as you're on land.  But the moment you step foot on a cruise ship the CDC, NIH, and the news media all of a sudden believe the vaccines are supposed prevent 100% of all COVID cases.  Having 10 people test positive on a cruise ship with over 3,200 people onboard shouldn't be cause for alarm especially when you have states like Illinois that have been averaging over 12,000 positive COVID cases every day for the past 10-11 days.   

No wonder Fain chose this time to leave, I'm sure he knew this would continue to drag on.  This article is ridiculous, why not celebrate all the great practices in place.(even the not so great ones)  When I checked in last week the girl scrutinized my paperwork from the doc in the box lab for what seemed an eternity regarding our test results. 

I used this facility before but would they not take it this time, it had everything on the check list, a moment of oh no! 

But I felt safe on the ship and enjoyed the new muster, hand sanitizer everywhere and people in general being more courteous about personal habits.

On the first Adventure sailing in June the whole ship had to test before disembarking and there were zero cases, where was that article? 

6 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Oh boy..CNN is on it and now the numbers have increased 🤦‍♂️If this take presidency in the news, watch for what isn’t and that will tell you what they don’t want to see what’s actually going on.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/us/cruise-ship-norwegian-breakaway-covid-cases/index.html

"All crew members and passengers are fully vaccinated and all of the 10 cases first reported were asymptomatic, the cruise line said in a statement Sunday."

If there truly were no symptomatic people in the initial 10, then the only way they could have started testing is if one of the crew popped hot during routine testing. 

3 hours ago, D Alt said:

Doesn't say still what prompted them to test people prior to disembarkation. Doesn't make sense.  But still 17 out of of 3200 is good.  

Agree.  Very confusing.  It didn’t make sense why they tested if asymptomatic. Other travel sites mention a crew member who is from South Africa. All speculative at this point.
Raises questions like- Did that S African person just join the cruise ship? And that person can’t be patient zero for the ship as the other positives are not Omicron (or not proven as such yet).  

Regardless, for past few months cruising been proven to be very safe with mandatory vaccinations and per embarkation testing.  

per 2 other travel sites- reason for the concern: One of those cases, a South African crew member, is suspected to have the Omicron variant”. 

Another case of protocols working.  Not newsworthy.   

Seriously if every employer and every school tested everyone every week there would be hundreds and thousands of cases popping up.  Media would ignore it until one person said they were on a cruise ship, then it would make headlines. 

Stop reporting these things and stop clicking on the stories.  The site traffic drives media to create more headlines like this.   

14 hours ago, twangster said:

Seriously if every employer and every school tested everyone every week there would be hundreds and thousands of cases popping up.  Media would ignore it until one person said they were on a cruise ship, then it would make headlines. 

Stop reporting these things and stop clicking on the stories.  The site traffic drives media to create more headlines like this.   

Well said. 

Just imagine if everyone had to have a negative test to enter a supermarket 

16 hours ago, twangster said:

well said - in the uk we are testing 15 times more people than other european countries but only have the same numbers of positives per 100k