Past Canadian Cruisers during COVID Protocols

Razorrayy

My cruise is fast approaching which normally I am excited beyond belief, but this time a little concerned about every protocol to follow. I have searched high and low for information on Canadians that require a PCR test to get back into Canada, will Royal provide this test? Is there a cost? How much? and can I purchase it pre-cruise?

If there is anyone who has gone through this process please advise so I can go back to feeling excited for my upcoming cruise.

11 hours ago, Cirasa said:

Does Royal provide free PCR tests for Canadian cruise across all its ships?  planning a cruise on Symphony of the Seas out of Miami with my wife's family (they live in Canada) and would like to see if we need to take the extra costs into account.

Thanks.

Right now the answer is yes, at least for ships operating from the USA.  It could change at any time though.  

Just got off the Jewel yesterday and back to YYZ. Here are some things to be aware of:

1. Do not assume Royal/Guest Services will reach out to you for your PCR test. Expect to ask.
  2. Testing typically takes place the day before disembarkation.
  3. They currently provide no charge testing for antigen and PCR, make sure they know you need PCR.
  4. There is an app/website to fill in your information, including passport number and some other details before you go for the test (you make your appt here too).
  5. You will receive an email with your results, or, if you don't have email access, Guest Services should have the results by 6:00pm.
  6. Make sure you review your results to ensure it says PCR test. We had a friend travelling with us who got a result saying antigen when he did in fact have a PCR test. It was sorted out by Guest Services, but not without a great deal of stress. If he did not specifically examine all the details on the document, it would have been a big problem at the airport.

Hope this helps.

We were on Freedom of the Seas out of Miami last week. We signed up for the free PCR Test at guest services an hour after we got on the ship. Thursday morning we went for the test at 8am. Apparently it was supposed to be 15 minutes but they had a bunch of people so we ended up waiting a few hours.

Lots of people complaining and a few really freaking out as it cut into time at Coco Cay. We kept a positive attitude as we were just thankful the test was free and they had coffee water and some pastries to tide is over. And let's be honest, not eating for a few hours didn't hurt us!

We received a paper copy that evening from our room attendant and the test itself was easy. 

2 hours ago, Cirasa said:

appreciate the info guys.  "There is an app/website", are you talking about the Royal Carribean app or is this a separate app that you have to download? do you know the name of it?  thank you again.

Separate website, no app to install. You will get a QR code to scan from RCL, it will send you to trustoneapp.com. The testing is done by Eurofins and TrustOne is used for the info and results communication. The test report is not actually produced by RCL.

8 hours ago, Gears said:

Separate website, no app to install. You will get a QR code to scan from RCL, it will send you to trustoneapp.com. The testing is done by Eurofins and TrustOne is used for the info and results communication. The test report is not actually produced by RCL.

So if we go to guest services on the first day - are they able to provide the QR code for this upon embarkation? Would rather get it out of the way fast than to wait till the last day. And in the event of a positive or what not, I trust they pretty much come to you in person is this correct? Kinda anxiety about the unknown. Embarking next week.

8 hours ago, cmariegold97 said:

So if we go to guest services on the first day - are they able to provide the QR code for this upon embarkation? Would rather get it out of the way fast than to wait till the last day. And in the event of a positive or what not, I trust they pretty much come to you in person is this correct? Kinda anxiety about the unknown. Embarking next week.

Yes, go to Guest Services when you can. The test is performed on the last day, but the sooner you get your QR code the sooner you can book your time for testing.

17 hours ago, Gears said:

Does this work if you don't have internet? Hoping it's available on sihp wifi (or they have some other means)

7 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Does this work if you don't have internet? Hoping it's available on sihp wifi (or they have some other means)

As far as I understand you will require Internet. However, the Guest Services on a particular ship may have a way around this. Also, one person can setup/schedule more than one person...so not all people would need Internet.

But...you will need Internet to complete the ArriveCAN app...again, you can register more than one person.

We never had internet on the ship, you can't do any of the flight/arrive can/verifly etc until you have wifi. As soon as we got off the ship and into the cruise terminal we started our arrive can/verifly uploading tests etc. It was fairly smooth, pretty short window where it was pending. 

Got off the ship at 8am and had a 1:04pm flight home from Miami airport. We were still way early with plenty of time to do all of the required apps, signing over our house and kids to the government etc 😂

13 minutes ago, Gears said:

As far as I understand you will require Internet. However, the Guest Services on a particular ship may have a way around this. Also, one person can setup/schedule more than one person...so not all people would need Internet.

But...you will need Internet to complete the ArriveCAN app...again, you can register more than one person.

Thanks.  I just meant on the ship itself.  Once off the ship, we can turn on roaming for a day (so we can complete ArriveCAN for crossing the border).

If you have an unlocked phone you should look into Google Fi, that's what my wife has started, plans are pro-rated depends on when you start the service and you can suspend anytime.  With Google Fi you will get internet when you are on any of the islands where cell services are available.

7 hours ago, Cirasa said:

If you have an unlocked phone you should look into Google Fi, that's what my wife has started, plans are pro-rated depends on when you start the service and you can suspend anytime.  With Google Fi you will get internet when you are on any of the islands where cell services are available.

I was disappointed with Google Fi and an unlocked iPhone.  Even on the Pixel that I ordered with Google Fi they had a tendency to prefer the Sprint network at the time which all but guaranteed a poor cellular experience where I lived. 

Price was great but I got what I paid for.