Harmony of the Sea 2023

Laura71

I am thinking of going on the Harmony in April 2023. I have a couple of questions I was wondering if someone might give their feedback to.

Balcony cabin vs non balcony

Fly down the day before we sail vs. flying same day

I think that’s it for now. I’m sure I’ll have questions and need help as I start to plan.

Thank you 

We just got off the Adventure, had our first balcony room. We have decided for us that a balcony is a waste of money. We did not spend any time in our room and never sat out on the balcony.  But this is something that will be a personal decision for you. Personally, I would have liked to sit and read out there, but my husband likes to smoke cigars and unfortunately, I have to be near him so he doesn't get lost.

We were perfectly fine with inside cabins until our first cruise of the restart. Since then, we’ve had two with balconies and one promenade view interior. 

We’ve decided to book balconies from now on. 

I say book a balcony for your first, then book a shorter one in an inside to see what works for you  

Definitely fly down the day before. Too much can go wrong on the day and your trip will get off to a much more relaxing start. 

Room type depends on what you like to do on vacation. If you are active, always out and about, and only use your room to shower and sleep, there really isn't much point in paying extra for a balcony. Conversely, if you like to relax in your room and have a quiet outdoor space where you can chill with a book and your favourite drink, then a balcony cabin would probably be worth the extra $$$.

Note that, very occasionally, balcony cabins can actually be cheaper than non-balcony, so if you do book one without a balcony, it's worth checking the prices regularly in case you get the chance to switch.

Thanks for the input. I went on a cruise over  20 years ago and had a balcony. I love it and used it all the time. But I was single and my friend smoked. 

Now I’m going with my husband and daughter. My husband feels we won’t be in the room much and don’t need a baloney. He’s always on the go when go away and when’ he’s not he’s napping lol Plus the difference is almost $700 so there’s that lol

5 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Unlike the rest of my family, I am an early riser.  I like to have coffee & a light breakfast delivered that I can take out to the balcony.  Then I relax, read a book, watch the ocean or the ship pulling into port.  Peaceful way to start my day.

My wife and I are both early risers, and having a balcony on Adventure back in September is what convinced us to never go back. 

We are both up and moving by 430 at the latest, even on vacation.  We’d go down to the Cafe Promenade at 5.  The crew member overseeing the Cafe from 5-11 just happened to be our head waiter, so he made sure to have a carafe of coffee ready for us so we could go sit on our balcony and watch the daylight arrive  

I'm going to be the oddball who says flying in the morning of the cruise isn't a problem. However, I'm in Atlanta, so I can get a direct flight to pretty much any port, and typically have backup options I could take advantage of in the event my flight was canceled.

That said, if I lived somewhere with a tiny airport and/or multiple layovers, I'd definitely fly in the night before instead. I just like saving the money that I would have spent on a hotel room for other cruise-related expenses.

As far as cabins go, we have no problem with an inside for a Caribbean cruise. We're just not in our room enough to justify the extra money for a balcony, typically.

Balcony yes- my reasons are fresh air, watching sunsets or sunrises, coffee and chilling while the sea passes you by, sunbathing in peace, just being able to relax in your room with the sound of the ocean. 

Day before yes - you never know what delays can cause you to miss the boat, literally. 

On 12/3/2021 at 5:47 PM, Laura71 said:

I am thinking of going on the Harmony in April 2023. I have a couple of questions I was wondering if someone might give their feedback to.

Balcony cabin vs non balcony

Fly down the day before we sail vs. flying same day

I think that’s it for now. I’m sure I’ll have questions and need help as I start to plan.

Thank you 

Balconies (or suites) are clearly more spacious than inside rooms, but the cost can be high.  We did fine with inside rooms when we first started cruising, and it was easier to sleep. 

With any room type, location is important.  There are online videos that explain how to choose the best room locations (e.g., for noise abatement).

When we find that balconies more expensive than we/d like, we often pick ocean view as a compromise.

As many have posted, except for sea days, the room is usually just used to sleep and change clothes.  The balcony views are iffy --- depends whether land (or sunset/sunrise) is port or starboard as you cruise.  On cruises with fjord views, we typically go to the top deck for photos and such.  

The Harmony has inside balconies that offer a different experience, and there are other threads about Boardwalk vs. Central Park rooms.

Whatever you choose, have fun!!