Unlimited Dining time frame question

infosec123

So we are doing our first RCL trip (B2B) in January on Freedom of the seas. I have OBC so I want to use it for the unlimited dining package to try the premium restaurants. It is myself, wife, and 2 young children. I booked my unlimited dining package with a 5:30 time slot and applied the OBC, but left the wifes in the cart. Went to check out today and apparently there were no more 5:30 reservations available, only 9pm which obviously doesnt work for us, so I had to cancel my dining package. My question is, if we rebooked for 9pm, would they be able to change the time onboard to a 5:30 timeslot? Or is it not worth it since we cannot take young children (less than 5 years old) to dinner at 9pm and its likely not to change.

I had a 3-night dining package booked on Oasis and it selected Chops for me, with 5:30pm being the only available time. On embarkation day I went down to a restaurant (Giovanni's) and the hostess was able to set up all my dining for me and it was all over the map. Day one we switched to 150CP at 7:30, Day 2 at Giovannis at 6, Day 3 Chops at 8. I think you guys should be fine as long as you make getting reservations at better times your #1 priority on day one. 

4 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The time you select is just a placeholder. You can change that initial reservation once you get onboard and make the reservations for the week. You aren't guaranteed to eat every night in the timeslot you purchased.

Oops I commented prior to refreshing and seeing your answer! 

20 hours ago, DDaley said:

I had a 3-night dining package booked on Oasis and it selected Chops for me, with 5:30pm being the only available time. On embarkation day I went down to a restaurant (Giovanni's) and the hostess was able to set up all my dining for me and it was all over the map. Day one we switched to 150CP at 7:30, Day 2 at Giovannis at 6, Day 3 Chops at 8. I think you guys should be fine as long as you make getting reservations at better times your #1 priority on day one. 

Is it safe to say that there are timeslots available on the ship that arent available pre-purchase? The restaurants seem kinda full when I try to book them directly, is it safe to say what I see does not represent the true availability?

2 hours ago, infosec123 said:

Is it safe to say that there are timeslots available on the ship that arent available pre-purchase? The restaurants seem kinda full when I try to book them directly, is it safe to say what I see does not represent the true availability?

Yes, very safe to say. Additionally there are cancellations also to consider so availability is very fluid. When you are onboard you can make and cancel reservations at any restaurant onboard and also through the app.

19 hours ago, infosec123 said:

Every restaurant has at least 3 pools of reservations:

• X% available to be sold online for direct reservations (for those that plan ahead)
  • Y% held for those that purchase the UDP package (must be reserved on board except for the first night placeholder which can also be changed)
  • Z% held for anyone to book on board (because many people don't do any pre-cruise planning)

If you absolutely must eat at a specific restaurant at a specific time, you want to book directly but it will cost more.  If you are willing to have some flexibility, the UDP will be cheaper and generally get you the right restaurants at about the right times.

9 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Every restaurant has at least 3 pools of reservations:

• X% available to be sold online for direct reservations (for those that plan ahead)
  • Y% held for those that purchase the UDP package (must be reserved on board except for the first night placeholder which can also be changed)
  • Z% held for anyone to book on board (because many people don't do any pre-cruise planning)

If you absolutely must eat at a specific restaurant at a specific time, you want to book directly but it will cost more.  If you are willing to have some flexibility, the UDP will be cheaper and generally get you the right restaurants at about the right times.

Awesome, thank you! One last question, we are in a grand suite, would concierge be able to take care of these reservations for us beforehand or when onboard. I assume the answer would be yes but hate assuming anything.

2 hours ago, infosec123 said:

Awesome, thank you! One last question, we are in a grand suite, would concierge be able to take care of these reservations for us beforehand or when onboard. I assume the answer would be yes but hate assuming anything.

Your assumption is correct. Yes, the concierge should be willing to care of dining reservations beforehand.