Going Back to Europe for Greek Cruise with Kids-Need Help!

Va4fam

Have you ever sailed on Royal Caribbean with teenagers or young adults?

Have you ever taken them on a port intensive weeklong trip?

Have you been to Greece and visited the Greek Islands?

Are you familiar with Vision class and Radiance class ships?

Have you ever been guilty of trying to pack too much into one vacation and feel like you need another vacation just to rest up?

If you answered "yes" to any of these, I could really use your help.

In 2017, We took our family of 4 on Freedom of the Seas for a weeklong Med cruise.  Our daughter had just graduated high school and our son had just started high school.  It was a great trip but very port intensive and by the last day everyone was grumbling and tired and didn't want to go see Naples/Pompeii.  Even though we did our excursions that day and had a great time, that feeling of grumpy family time has stayed in the back of my mind.  

Fast forward 4.5 years later and our daughter has graduated college, our son will be finishing his first year in college, and we are returnning for an Eastern Med cruise in May of 2022.

We are booked on Rhapsody departing Athens with stops in Mykonos, Chana (Crete), Zakynthos, a sea day, Kotor, and Split before disembarking in Venice.  We plan on adding a few days before the trip to explore Athens and adjust to the jet lag from our East Coast US overnight flight.   One additional day to explore Venice after the cruise and fly home the next day.  We have booked a JS for us and a separate balcony cabin for the kids so everyone has room.   We have asked the kids for input on what they want to do and see during the trip but they typically leave the planning to me.  It will be a fantastic trip and hopefully one that will bring us many adventures and memories.

So what's the issue you say?  I am a chronic overthinker/overplanner and a lot has changed since we did our last European cruise.  The "kids" are older now and prefer to spend a lot more time going at their pace instead of ours.  Frequently that means sleeping until noon and staying up late when possible.  My son likes history in smaller doses and said he would prefer to not have to get up at 7:30 AM each day and go from port......to port.......to another port.    My daughter loves to travel and take pictures but also not an early riser.  They both are world class "relaxers" and would be perfectly at home with a 7 day trip to CocoCay and a lounger at the Oasis Pool.    So with multiple sightseeing days in Athens, 5 ports, and more sightseeing in Venice, I may have recreated the not so happy/tired and grumpy family experience.

2nd issue is the ship-Rhapsody.   My wife and I just came off of Oasis and Symphony this fall and love the experience but we have also sailed on Empress (also loved it) and Enchantment (not as much).  The smaller ships seem to have more of a laid back and relaxing vibe.  The kids have only sailed on Freedom and Anthem.  This ship is smaller and doesn't seem to have much to do for young adults their age but please tell me that I am wrong and why we will all love it.

3rd issue-the itinerary.  Not only are we flying in and out of different airports, but some of the Greek Island ports seem to be similar.   What are some of the things we can do and see at each port that will stand out and not seem redundant?   This trip also has a stop in Kotor which is exciting but does not include Santorini which even though it can be overcrowded seems to be a real bucket list destination.   Again, correct me if I am wrong and let me know these ports are amazing and we will have the time of our lives.

Final issue-Travel restrictions/Europe/pandemic etc.  Right now there are no excursions listed for this cruise on the Royal Caribbean site.  None.  The cruise is less than 6 months away.   Remember the overplanner syndrome and know that not knowing what we are doing is very stressful for me.  

Solutions?  We don't want to postpone the trip and wait another year.   But we could change ships and go on Brilliance instead.  That itinerary starts and ends in Venice with stops in Dubrovnik, sea day, Mykonos, Santorini, sea day, Split, and back to Venice.  We would gain another sea day allowing everyone to rest and recharge.   We would miss out on Athens and Kotor but gain Santorini and Dubrovnik.  We are huge Game of Thrones fans and seems like a fun stop.  The ship is still small but seems to offer more food options and  activities like a sports court and mini golf.  What else is there to do that a 20 and 22 year old might enjoy?

Am I overthinking this and should I keep the current itinerary on Rhapsody or switch to Brilliance?

Appreciate you reading this and talking me down from my ledge.  Any suggestions and idea you have are much appreciated.

I know what you mean about history/church burn-out. I have to contend with that with DH, SIL and BIL and they're all grown adults! When we were in Florence a number of years back, having spent the previous day in Rome, all I got was grumbles about a "bellyful of churches"!

I don't suppose Odyssey would work for you? Brand new, bigger ship with lots of fun stuff and also sailing the Med/Greek Isles next summer, but round-trip from Rome. 

This is the itinerary for mine on 7 May:

image.png.93340a7cd3d0f99744e7fef16e4c4d33.png

The one after, departing on 16 May, has Athens instead of Rhodes.

So you get two Italian ports as well as the iconic Greek islands and Ephesus in Turkey. Plus, Mykonos, Rhodes and Chania can all be done as DIY just wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere, making it a lot more relaxing or, if Athens is a deal-breaker, it's sandwiched between two chill ports.

We are doing Brilliance for 2 weeks (back to back with different itineraries) in Sept.   The itinerary I think is so much better that the other cruise you mentioned.  I did not like Kotor much.  We did a tour to beach with lunch.  The lunch was fairly good but mats all over sand to walk, as was very rocky. We do have a port to Kotor in Sept. and plan to stay on the ship.  Santorini and Dubrovnik are fabulous ports.  2 of my all time favorites. I think Santorini is best port in Greece and not like the others.  

Also you embark/depark in Ravenna now which is over 2 hours from Vencie.  We will stay 3 nights in Venice before our cruise.    Venice airport is only like 10 miles into Venice, and there are no cars in main part of Venice, you take a water taxi.  So the travel, to or from  Ravenna to Venice will take  2-3 hours, each way.   Just something to consider.

Enjoy

3 hours ago, Linda R said:

I think Santorini is best port in Greece and not like the others.  

Also you embark/depark in Ravenna now which is over 2 hours from Vencie.  We will stay 3 nights in Venice before our cruise.    Venice airport is only like 10 miles into Venice, and there are no cars in main part of Venice, you take a water taxi.  So the travel, to or from  Ravenna to Venice will take  2-3 hours, each way.   Just something to consider.

Enjoy

Thank you @Linda R, good to get feedback about the ports at Kotor and Santorini.  When you look at the Royal promotional ads, they always seem to show Santorini and the white buildings/blue rooftops and ocean vistas.  

I forgot that the Ravenna port is so far away.   Thank you for the reminder.  

6 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I don't suppose Odyssey would work for you? Brand new, bigger ship with lots of fun stuff and also sailing the Med/Greek Isles next summer, but round-trip from Rome. 

Odyssey would be great but we were hoping to see Venice and go to Croatia.  Our daughter has a day planned for us in Split since she has been there when she studied abroad.  

One of the  main different between western   Europe   and Greek Island cruise is the proximity of the attractions to port.

While you need 1.5 hours drive to Rome , 2 hours to Florence and 1 hour boat ride to Capri most of the Greek ports/other ports in that itinerary are quite close (15 minutes tender to Kotor , 10 minutes tender to Mykonos and around 15-20 to Santorini. So its less intensive. Its quite easy to take the tender to Mykonos and just wonder for an hour or so in the village and go back. 

Adding two links  for a live blogs we done in Greece cruise , let me know if you have  questions .

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/15034-rhapsody-of-the-seas-24-31-august-2019-greek-island-take-2/#comment-150164
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9042-rhapsody-of-the-seas-greek-islands-25-aug-1-sep-semi-live-blog/