Updated Pre-Cruise Testing Protocols for Children

Email just received from Royal Caribbean:

"Updated North America Testing Protocols

There’s been a change to our Pre-Cruise and Embark testing requirements for unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 for sailings departing
on or after December 17, 2021. 

We'll now only accept a negative PCR test result to satisfy the Pre-Cruise testing requirement for this age group.

Additionally, instead of taking a PCR test at embarkation, unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 will receive a complimentary antigen test. This change will allow for a smoother start to our young cruisers' sailing and embarkation. These protocols are subject to change and we’ll keep you informed."

3 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

I'm assuming they're doing the antigen at the port instead of PCR in order to speed things up as capacity increases?

That's what the email implies

5 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

Wonder if vaccinated kids still have to get PCR

Vaccinated kids follow the existing rules for vaccinated 12+

21 minutes ago, WesKinetic said:

There’s been a change to our Pre-Cruise and Embark testing requirements for unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 for sailings departing

We'll now only accept a negative PCR test result to satisfy the Pre-Cruise testing requirement for this age group.

Additionally, instead of taking a PCR test at embarkation, unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 will receive a complimentary antigen test. This change will allow for a smoother start to our young cruisers' sailing and embarkation. These protocols are subject to change and we’ll keep you informed."

I wonder how many families will be turned away at the port because they didn’t know this?  I’m leaving on a cruise on December 18 with my 10 year old son and a friend with her 9 and 11 year old kids on 2 different reservations ……… neither of us received anything telling us it now had to be a PCR test for the kids!  

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Only the ones that didn't check their email.

AGAIN ……. neither of us have an email about this and we both also just checked our spam folders ……. No email anywhere ….. luckily I’m seeing it here or we’d still be clueless at this point …….. and I always check my email a few times a day 

3 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

AGAIN ……. neither of us have an email about this and we both also just checked our spam folders ……. No email anywhere ….. luckily I’m seeing it here or we’d still be clueless at this point …….. and I always check my email a few times a day 

It's possible you just didn't get it yet.

(reposting here as the original thread is being deleted as duplicate)

On one hand, I understand why Royal is doing this - to accelerate the boarding process in terminals. Rapid antigen can be as little as 15 minutes, versus the 40+ minutes for PCR. 

However, this passes an incredible burden onto the parents to find a PCR test right as the 72-hour window opens, especially if the window or departure are over the weekend. We have three littles that fit into this age group, and trying to find a place that can PCR test us (without symptoms, only for travel clearance) and get results inside 72 hours is difficult. Even getting rapid tests is REALLY hard, as a lot of places (except CVS with advanced reservation) are reserving them for close contact AND symptomatic. 

This rules out @Matts CVS trick, since that's a rapid antigen test. 

This ALSO means that if the PCR test comes back inconclusive, parents are SOL since they won't have enough time to get another test before departure.

Another factor is this passively pressures parents to vaccinate their 5-year+ kids so they don't even have to deal with this in the first place, thus increasing the on-board vaccinated population. 

21 minutes ago, MattG said:

PSA that Walgreens provides a rapid PCR test called ID NOW.  It is a NAAT test which is a type of PCR test that Royal would accept.  The test is performed ON SITE at Walgreens, so you can get your results back in as soon as an hour instead of waiting for results from an offsite lab.

My wife and I used the tests for our trip to Hawaii in May when they required PCR tests within 72 hours of arrival.  Super easy to go through the drive-thru, take a sample, and got the results via email in an hour.  You could always schedule appointments on the third and second days before the cruise in case an inconclusive test came back.

1 hour ago, WesKinetic said:

okay,  Am i reading this correctly?

"We'll now only accept a negative PCR test result to satisfy the Pre-Cruise testing requirement for this age group."    Okay PCR test require to embark.

"Additionally, instead of taking a PCR test at embarkation, unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 will receive a complimentary antigen test"  So which is it?  PCR or Antigen

4 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

okay,  Am i reading this correctly?

"We'll now only accept a negative PCR test result to satisfy the Pre-Cruise testing requirement for this age group."    Okay PCR test require to embark.

"Additionally, instead of taking a PCR test at embarkation, unvaccinated guests age 2 - 11 will receive a complimentary antigen test"  So which is it?  PCR or Antigen

"Pre-Cruise" testing is the test you take 3 days prior. Then at the port you get another one.

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

"Pre-Cruise" testing is the test you take 3 days prior. Then at the port you get another one.

11yr unvaccinated  -   

new US gov requirement:  to fly to Miami requires a test 1 day prior to flight -Antigen??   1 test

Pre-Cruise testing requirement:  a PCR test(3 days Prior)  for Pre-Cruise testing requirement - 2nd test

at Embarkation: an Antigen test - 3rd test 

7 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

11yr unvaccinated  -   

new US gov requirement:  to fly to Miami requires a test 1 day prior to flight -Antigen??   1 test

Pre-Cruise testing requirement:  a PCR test(3 days Prior)  for Pre-Cruise testing requirement - 2nd test

- if the cruise is 5+ days, debarkation antigen test - 4th test

23 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

11yr unvaccinated  -   

Yeah that really sucks for non-Americans

They could be making this adjustment to policy based on the case rate for this age group.  We don't have that data so we can't be sure.  What we do know is that the antigen tests used are less sensitive to identifying positive cases for people younger than 18.  This is especially true for asymptomatic cases.

https://academic.oup.com/jpids/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jpids/piab081/6361004

My guess is that Royal has seen a disproportionate amount of onboard cases within this age group and is deciding to require a more sensitive test (PCR) prior to boarding regardless of vaccination status.

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Another thing that will make it harder than it used to be....since the unvaxxed children must have a PCR test, they cannot use the at-home tests.  That makes it a bit more difficult.

Preach! Finding a provider that can offer a 48-hour* turnaround on a PCR test for someone with no close contacts/no symptoms is HARD. 

* I know this age group is 72 hours before embarkation, but no parent should wait until EMBARKATION DAY for results!

6 minutes ago, MattG said:

Preach! Finding a provider that can offer a 48-hour* turnaround on a PCR test for someone with no close contacts/no symptoms is HARD. 

* I know this age group is 72 hours before embarkation, but no parent should wait until EMBARKATION DAY for results!

@MattG Take a look at my post above regarding ID NOW tests from Walgreens.  Less than 24 hour turnaround time.  No potential exposure requirement and it's free.

5 minutes ago, MattG said:

Preach! Finding a provider that can offer a 48-hour turnaround on a PCR test for someone with no close contacts/no symptoms is HARD. 

We have a local for profit testing facility that opened that performs rapid 2 hour PCR.  $235-$250 per person.  No insurance accepted and a credit card processing fee applies if you use a cc.  They also charge $100 for a rapid antigen.  Amazingly, they’re doing a brisk business.  

It reads to me any proctored molecular COVID test that is not classified as an antigen or antibody test since they don't have a set list of acceptable tests. PCR is just a subset of NAATs. They do mention the ID NOW as an acceptable test on their site as well as differentiate the difference between molecular and antigen tests.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

22 minutes ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

It reads to me any proctored molecular COVID test that is not classified as an antigen or antibody test since they don't have a set list of acceptable tests. PCR is just a subset of NAATs. They do mention the ID NOW as an acceptable test on their site as well as differentiate the difference between molecular and antigen tests.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

The RC rule tends to mirror the CDC rule and CDC says NAAT or antigen. So theoretically RC would take NAAT where they say PCR (which, as you note, is a NAAT) . That said, it'd be nice if RC clarified.

4 hours ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

@MattG Take a look at my post above regarding ID NOW tests from Walgreens.  Less than 24 hour turnaround time.  No potential exposure requirement and it's free.

Here in Orlando, FL , you have to tell Centracare, CVS, and Walgreens that you’re testing because you were “exposed” ….. if you tell them it’s for a trip, they’ll say insurance is cracking down and won’t cover it for vacations and they will make you pay $175 ….……………… it’s happened to friends of ours, and it happened to my spouse before our October cruise because I didn’t warn him not to say it was for a trip before he went for the test.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:07 PM, MattG said:

(reposting here as the original thread is being deleted as duplicate)

On one hand, I understand why Royal is doing this - to accelerate the boarding process in terminals. Rapid antigen can be as little as 15 minutes, versus the 40+ minutes for PCR. 

However, this passes an incredible burden onto the parents to find a PCR test right as the 72-hour window opens, especially if the window or departure are over the weekend. We have three littles that fit into this age group, and trying to find a place that can PCR test us (without symptoms, only for travel clearance) and get results inside 72 hours is difficult. Even getting rapid tests is REALLY hard, as a lot of places (except CVS with advanced reservation) are reserving them for close contact AND symptomatic. 

This ALSO means that if the PCR test comes back inconclusive, parents are SOL since they won't have enough time to get another test before departure.

Another factor is this passively pressures parents to vaccinate their 5-year+ kids so they don't even have to deal with this in the first place, thus increasing the on-board vaccinated population. 

Luckily my 6 and 10 are fully vaxed, but my 4 year old can't be.  I have ZERO clue how I am going to be able to do this as we cruise on Jan 26th and a PCR is going to be a tough squeeze with the holidays.  I am already concerned we won't have time for our antigen and I knew I was safe for him since he had 3 days, but now I am really going to have issue with him.

On a side note for the longest time my cruise stated testing protocols were not released yet and I thought they would change and well they did, but for the worse not better.  Ugh.  They now state the PCR for unvaccinated.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:00 PM, ChrisK2793 said:

Here in Orlando, FL , you have to tell Centracare, CVS, and Walgreens that you’re testing because you were “exposed” ….. if you tell them it’s for a trip, they’ll say insurance is cracking down and won’t cover it for vacations and they will make you pay $175 ….……………… it’s happened to friends of ours, and it happened to my spouse before our October cruise because I didn’t warn him not to say it was for a trip before he went for the test.

That is so odd I am in Central Florida and CVS even has travel as a reason and it stated it would be no charge.

4 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

5FAFFEA7-7D09-438F-9744-D5D1FA825F98.jpeg

This is really nonsensical; as the federal CARES act covers the cost of travel related testing done by participation members, of which CVS is one. My family has had no less than a dozen tests at CVS in the last 8 weeks, all scheduled truthfully as travel requirements, and never charged a dime. This is in TX

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

This is really nonsensical; as the federal CARES act covers the cost of travel related testing done by participation members, of which CVS is one. My family has had no less than a dozen tests at CVS in the last 8 weeks, all scheduled truthfully as travel requirements, and never charged a dime. This is in TX

It apparently seems to depend on the person checking you in and on their mood that day as to whether they charge you or not at CVS’s in Orlando for travel testing if you’re truthful.  I’ve talked to friends who were charged there after being honest and friends who weren’t charged when being honest at CVS.  Across the board though, it seems like everyone who is honest at Walgreens and Centracare here is charged.  Centracare is who charged my spouse $175 in October for the testing after he told the truth about why he needed it.  It seems like it’s best to just say you’re being tested because somebody you were around tested positive if you don’t want another expense.