Have A Story to Tell

I have a story to tell. I just got back from a Panama Canal 14 day cruise, (not RCCL). I ate in the MDR with the same woman 5 different night, she was a solo cruiser like myself. She explained to me that flying was her greatest fear and she refused to do it, so every year she plans a 4 to 5 month cruise, (many different cruise lines, a few hotel stays), to not fly. She has done this for the past 5 years.

Her starting point was San Diego, we ended in Miami, from there she was spending a day or two in a hotel and then doing a 4 day RCCL cruise, hotel again, then a 7 day Allure cruise, getting off of Allure and doing a 15 day TA, I think on the Independence, this would take her through most of November. While in London she was doing a HAL cruise of the Mediterranean, 10 days I think, doing another HAL with Spain, Italy, etc. Until at the end of February, beginning of March, she would board a TA that would bring her to Vancouver or Seattle and then a cruise from Vancouver/Seattle to San Diego. On the Panama Canal cruise she had an interior, all other cruises were an ocean view or a balcony.

All of this so she doesn't have to fly. My first question, after her cruise itinerary, was "Isn't this expensive" and of course it is, but it is only once a year and she said you told me that you have 6 cruises booked for 2017, with another possibly being booked, (SNAP, she showed me). Next question, "Aren't you seeing a lot of the same ports" and of course she is, so she doesn't get off, she reads, she does needlework.

She explained to me she led a very frugal life, she was married, now a widow, had no children, and when her husband passed she sold her home in Denver and moved into the RV that she and her husband vacationed in, after moving the RV to her sister's farm, so no rent.

If you were able, would you do something like this? I am not afraid of flying, and to me, it is way too much trouble to set all of this up, just so you don't have to get on a plane, plus being on a ship for 4 months is just mind boggling to me.

Sorry to go on and on, but I found this to be so interesting. 

Candie

plus being on a ship for 4 months is just mind boggling to me.

A few years ago on Adventure out of PR, we were at the top tier event where a whole bunch of D+ members got recognized. At least 4 couples, I want to say there were more. All of them were doing multiple back to backs. At least one couple was doing 8 back to backs.

There are also cruise ships where you buy the rooms (like condos) and live on the ship full time. I've also heard some of these are set up like time shares so you can purchase a couple weeks or a month tho I can't see the practicality of doing that.

I have a story to tell. I just got back from a Panama Canal 14 day cruise, (not RCCL). I ate in the MDR with the same woman 5 different night, she was a solo cruiser like myself. She explained to me that flying was her greatest fear and she refused to do it, so every year she plans a 4 to 5 month cruise, (many different cruise lines, a few hotel stays), to not fly. She has done this for the past 5 years.

Her starting point was San Diego, we ended in Miami, from there she was spending a day or two in a hotel and then doing a 4 day RCCL cruise, hotel again, then a 7 day Allure cruise, getting off of Allure and doing a 15 day TA, I think on the Independence, this would take her through most of November. While in London she was doing a HAL cruise of the Mediterranean, 10 days I think, doing another HAL with Spain, Italy, etc. Until at the end of February, beginning of March, she would board a TA that would bring her to Vancouver or Seattle and then a cruise from Vancouver/Seattle to San Diego. On the Panama Canal cruise she had an interior, all other cruises were an ocean view or a balcony.

All of this so she doesn't have to fly. My first question, after her cruise itinerary, was "Isn't this expensive" and of course it is, but it is only once a year and she said you told me that you have 6 cruises booked for 2017, with another possibly being booked, (SNAP, she showed me). Next question, "Aren't you seeing a lot of the same ports" and of course she is, so she doesn't get off, she reads, she does needlework.

She explained to me she led a very frugal life, she was married, now a widow, had no children, and when her husband passed she sold her home in Denver and moved into the RV that she and her husband vacationed in, after moving the RV to her sister's farm, so no rent.

If you were able, would you do something like this? I am not afraid of flying, and to me, it is way too much trouble to set all of this up, just so you don't have to get on a plane, plus being on a ship for 4 months is just mind boggling to me.

Sorry to go on and on, but I found this to be so interesting. 

Candie

Wow. Sounds great. But I think after awhile I'd just want to either cruise year round or get tired of it.

My 9 year old is ready for this lifestyle. I just received something in the mail from Holland America advertising a 134 cruise and the first thing my son asked is if we could go on it.

Personally, I'd get tired of the food as there's not that much variety from week to week.

I don't understand this woman's motivation.

Why would she cruise all over the world (exaggeration intentional) and then not even get off the ship ?

Is she cruising from port to port just to get to another port...just to stay on the ship ?

I agree with Bill. All that packing, unpacking and getting on and off ships is for the birds !

I love the idea of living on a ship. I could totally do that. But no way do I want to have to keep moving around to different ships.

Raye,

The way Susan (the non-flyer) explained it to me was that her travel agency, (has 3 of the first letter of the alphabet), sets this up, trying to make her embarking and disembarking on the same day, if not she stays in a Holiday Inn Express to wait for the ship. If she has to go to a different port, Miami to Fort Lauderdale, she catches the ship's shuttle, it is cheaper. She does get off in some ports, she got off in Cartagena, but didn't in Cabo or Acapulco, because of the armed military and police presence. What I got from talking to her, she is frightened to fly, and certain ports frighten her, but she loves to cruise. I asked about laundry and she brings a box of gallon sized baggies and the detergent pods with her. She washes all underwear in these, which I did on my 14 day and it worked out perfect. One baggie is for washing, then dry it out, and the other is for rinsing, then dry it out. She also does her tops the same way and only wears knit pants that she can hand wash in the sink. Since I live in denim most of the time that wouldn't work for me. I brought 14 pairs of pants with me for my cruise. She said if she has to, she will use the ship laundromat.

Some of her cruising is port to port to get to another ship, but the 4 day Bahama on Royal was just to waste time and not sit in a hotel. She said she wouldn't get off on the private island or Nassau but would get off in Key West. 

I also agree that packing and unpacking would be a hassle. Susan did say that she brings 2 big suitcases she checks, but leaves one packed and unopen for the 4 to 7 day cruises. Crazy, huh!

I guess it is according to her taste. To me I would become a land cruiser, doing all the land tours I could book and see the USA, I wouldn't spend 4 months on different ships and not get off. I want to see the ports at least once.

Candie

Our goal is to retire or semi-retire (come on solid worldwide broadband coverage...) in this way.

The difference is that we'd aim for a much smaller number of ships/changes (perhaps just one) on a cruise line that doesn't repeat itineraries as often.  I can imagine staying on an Oceania or similar type line (I'd say Crystal or Silver Sea, but I don't anticipate that being in the budget).

As a side note, I've always found it funny that RCI doesn't put self-service laundy facilities on their ships, as it's pretty common - even on ultra-premium lines where you'd expect people to pony up for dry-cleaning and such.

I believe some of the older Royal ships did have laundry facilities at one time, but they were removed to add cabins.  My assumption is that they don't feel the need for laundry facilities as they don't do that many long itineraries.  Even in Europe, most are 12 nights or less. Other lines, like Holland America and the ultra luxury lines, are known to have itineraries that go from 21 days up to 150+ days, where a laundry is needed.

While I can't say that I enjoy doing laundry on vacation, I did find it convenient when on Holland America previously.

• 2 weeks later...

My 9 year old is ready for this lifestyle. I just received something in the mail from Holland America advertising a 134 cruise and the first thing my son asked is if we could go on it.

Personally, I'd get tired of the food as there's not that much variety from week to week.

My Inlaws did a world cruise on the QM2. Its not the same food. The food changed depending on where they were. Asian food in China, Italian food in Italy, African food in Africa, etc. They spent 144 nights on the ship and loved it. I hope I could do a trip like that one day. 

My Inlaws did a world cruise on the QM2. Its not the same food. The food changed depending on where they were. Asian food in China, Italian food in Italy, African food in Africa, etc. They spent 144 nights on the ship and loved it. I hope I could do a trip like that one day. 

Ok Brian...how do you add that cruise clock on your profile? :-D  I created the clock but can't figure out where and how to add it to my signature.