Denied entry to Nassau

November 15th Odyssey of the Seas sailing. I booked through Royal Caribbean but was not told my 4 yr old unvaccinated son would be denied entry into Nassau until at the gangway. Guest Services on the ship admitted they enforced the policy since September. I called reservations yesterday for clarity and was again told my son could get off the ship in Nassau. The 2 of us traveled together to celebrate his 5th birthday. I made that clear to the RC agents I spoke with in the 10 days before the cruise, calls totaling over 5 hours as we discussed Covid and document requirements for unvaccinated children.

Anyone else have to watch their son's face melt into sadness and confusion as he was turned away on the gangway at the port of Nassau?

19 minutes ago, GarfieldTravels said:

November 15th Odyssey of the Seas sailing. I booked through Royal Caribbean but was not told my 4 yr old unvaccinated son would be denied entry into Nassau until at the gangway. Guest Services on the ship admitted they enforced the policy since September. I called reservations yesterday for clarity and was again told my son could get off the ship in Nassau. The 2 of us traveled together to celebrate his 5th birthday. I made that clear to the RC agents I spoke with in the 10 days before the cruise, calls totaling over 5 hours as we discussed Covid and document requirements for unvaccinated children.

Anyone else have to watch their son's face melt into sadness and confusion as he was turned away on the gangway at the port of Nassau?

This has been the policy since the restart of cruises.  It is a CDC requirement and is followed the other cruise lines that allow unvaccinated children. It is clearly listed in the many emails that you surely received before your cruise and has been discussed many times here on this website.  All you needed to do was book a tour through Royal and your son would have been able to go on the tour.

Keep in mind that the cruise lines need to follow both the CDC guidelines and the Covid rules in each port that they visit.  We may disagree with the policies, but they are all clearly communicated.

Tours Required for Families With Unvaccinated Children
Families traveling with unvaccinated kids must purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean if they wish to go ashore in ports of call. This applies to all ports of call except Perfect Day at CocoCay, Labadee and Port Canaveral, Florida. Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port.

29 minutes ago, GarfieldTravels said:

This is sad to hear.  Your son must have been so disappointed.
The protocols allow families with unvaccinated youths to disembark with a Royal Shore Excursion.  Are you saying they stopped you from taking him on a shore excursion at the gangway?  Even though they sold you the shore excursions?

1 hour ago, GarfieldTravels said:

You booked an actual Royal Caribbean shore excursion and they wouldn't let you and your 4 year old son off the ship?  That is interesting because I thought the policy was if you booked a shore excursion through Royal Caribbean you could get off the ship but if you booked your shore excursion through a third party then you can't get off the ship at all in Nassau with unvaccinated children.

I actually saw the same thing happen right in front of me on my Oasis cruise last week.  A family was trying to get off in St Thomas and were stopped at the gangway.  The parents were arguing with the office who was dealing with them that they were never told that this was the requirement.  

As I said above, it amazes me that people wouldn't read all of the protocols that Royal sends out in advance of the cruise.

Can you tell us a little more of the story so we can understand?  Did you book an excursion through RCCL, not the cruise itself?  And if you did, was it a "bubble" tour?  I ask these questions because as far as I know, they have been very clear that the only way any unvaccinated passenger can leave the ship is on a "bubble" tour booked through RCCL.  I always am sad when I hear children are in situations like this, but I am not sure where the misunderstanding came in.  However, if you spent 5 hours on the phone regarding this issue, I think it's possible that someone decided to just tell you what you wanted to hear.  I'm not saying that is right, or that it actually happened, simply that it is a possible explination.

Without being privy to the communication you had with Royal it's hard to know where the confusion came from.  

Unvaccinated children can get off in Nassau... as long as they are booked on an excursion through Royal Caribbean.  Other cruise lines are doing the same thing because they have to and other internet sites have similar stories where people didn't understand the requirement to book a ship tour to leave the ship.  

Some ports require a ship tour for vaccinated guests too.  That's not the cruise lines adding that for specific ports, those are the regulations created by the country being visited.  St. Kitts, Barbados and St. Lucia have established this requirement for vaccinated and unvaccinated guests.  

It's unfortunate you were not clear on the requirements for Nassau.  

I personally will never understand this. When I take a vacation of any sorts, I am spending my hard-earned money. Therefore, I always make sure I understand what can and cannot happen.

I see across FB, Cruise Critic, and a few other blogs' so many people who get turned away from: not having the proper documents, people complaining about not knowing certain protocols, people upset at RCG for port requirements, etc. I saw upset families at guest service and the excursion desk when I was on Allure. Covid is/was a global thing. I find it hard to believe that someone who went through the hoops to get on a cruise ship, wouldn't know about vax/unvaxx protocols......or at the very least have questions.

3 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Can you tell us a little more of the story so we can understand?  Did you book an excursion through RCCL, not the cruise itself?  And if you did, was it a "bubble" tour?  I ask these questions because as far as I know, they have been very clear that the only way any unvaccinated passenger can leave the ship is on a "bubble" tour booked through RCCL.  I always am sad when I hear children are in situations like this, but I am not sure where the misunderstanding came in.  However, if you spent 5 hours on the phone regarding this issue, I think it's possible that someone decided to just tell you what you wanted to hear.  I'm not saying that is right, or that it actually happened, simply that it is a possible explination.

The “bubble” tour is just a ticket off the ship to meet CDC requirements. It’s any Royal Caribbean excursion and you can freely roam or do your own tour once off. It’s not an actual bubble as you are mixed with thousands of other passengers for long periods of time, at least for disembarkation process and even worse on tender days.

6238228A-407C-43CF-BC4A-9452675D80F7.thumb.jpeg.95eca4e5be918dcd3a09a4e43fecc07f.jpeg

D1A843E8-8308-4BB1-A567-B013DC64533F.thumb.jpeg.934700c0e5e594b965aedf953b08bd92.jpeg

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

The “bubble” tour is just a ticket off the ship to meet CDC requirements. It’s any Royal Caribbean excursion and you can freely roam or do your own tour once off. It’s not an actual bubble as you are mixed with thousands of other passengers for long periods of time, at least for disembarkation process and even worse on tender days.

6238228A-407C-43CF-BC4A-9452675D80F7.thumb.jpeg.95eca4e5be918dcd3a09a4e43fecc07f.jpeg

D1A843E8-8308-4BB1-A567-B013DC64533F.thumb.jpeg.934700c0e5e594b965aedf953b08bd92.jpeg

I wish you would stop telling people that.  Caribbean nations are trying to rebuild while keeping their citizens safe.  Stop telling people they can just sneak out once in port!!🤬🤬

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

You mean they kept you with the people you had already been sailing with until you got into the port, where you were supposed to go directly to your tour? The "bubble" doesn't start until you are with your tour group, and they assume grown ups will act like grown ups and follow the rule.  Just because you can't seem to follow very simple instructions, don't tell other people they can or should act like you do.

40 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Stop telling people they can just sneak out once in port!!🤬🤬

There will always be people who think that the rules dont apply to them! You only have to look at these threads when people have a moan about something then finish off by saying they are pinnacle, diamond or upside down pineapple because they think that status gives them a god given right to be above others 

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

I wish you would stop telling people that.  Caribbean nations are trying to rebuild while keeping their citizens safe.  Stop telling people they can just sneak out once in port!!🤬🤬

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

You mean they kept you with the people you had already been sailing with until you got into the port, where you were supposed to go directly to your tour? The "bubble" doesn't start until you are with your tour group, and they assume grown ups will act like grown ups and follow the rule.  Just because you can't seem to follow very simple instructions, don't tell other people they can or should act like you do.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

There will always be people who think that the rules dont apply to them! You only have to look at these threads when people have a moan about something then finish off by saying they are pinnacle, diamond or upside down pineapple because they think that status gives them a god given right to be above others 

Love the blind justification for all the senseless protocols. How on Earth does it make sense to socially distance on the ship but then it’s ok to pack in like Sardines for an hour because it’s only with “bubble” from the ship? 

The local ports and tours even promote self-exploration and shopping. No one is breaking any rules, just checking arbitrary box from CDC. At least in North America, things may be different in Europe.

5 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Love the blind justification for all the senseless protocols. How on Earth does it make sense to socially distance on the ship but then it’s ok to pack in like Sardines for an hour because it’s only with “bubble” from the ship? 

The local ports and tours even promote self-exploration and shopping. No one is breaking any rules, just checking arbitrary box from CDC. At least in North America, things may be different in Europe.

I am far from being a CDC fanboy, far from it,  but letting unvaccinated guests free to roam around foreign countries that have low vaccination rates then allowing those same people to return to the US, doesn't seem like a blind justification.  

As much as I despise the CDC I can see logic in their decision that vaccinated guests have a lower risk profile while unvaccinated guests are more at risk.  An unvaccinated person freely roaming a foreign country is at a higher risk compared to a vaccinated person doing the same.  It seems to me this CDC requirement will lessen the opportunity for infection & spread.  That seems like science I can get behind.   

10 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I'm not sure anyone is defending the justification for the rules, just stating that we think you should be following them regardless.

The CDC is one of the drivers of the on board protocols,  but each port is a separate foreign government with their own rules. They are graciously allowing us to visit, subject to the port agreement that states that non vaccinated people will be on "bubble" tours. By not following the rules,  you put all of us in jeopardy of not being able to visit that port in the future.

If you don't like the rules, your recourse is to not go on the cruise.

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

I am far from being a CDC fanboy, far from it,  but letting unvaccinated guests free to roam around foreign countries that have low vaccination rates then allowing those same people to return to the US, doesn't seem like a blind justification.  

As much as I despise the CDC I can see logic in their decision that vaccinated guests have a lower risk profile while unvaccinated guests are more at risk.  An unvaccinated person freely roaming a foreign country is at a higher risk compared to a vaccinated person doing the same.  It seems to me this CDC requirement will lessen the opportunity for infection & spread.  That seems like science I can get behind.   

9 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

I'm not sure anyone is defending the justification for the rules, just stating that we think you should be following them regardless.

The CDC is one of the drivers of the on board protocols,  but each port is a separate foreign government with their own rules. They are graciously allowing us to visit, subject to the port agreement that states that non vaccinated people will be on "bubble" tours. By not following the rules,  you put all of us in jeopardy of not being able to visit that port in the future.

If you don't like the rules, your recourse is to not go on the cruise.

1. What do you all think one does on does on a “bubble” tour? It’s often nothing more than a bus ride to a public beach where you mix with thousands of others, some from other ships, local island, etc. Nice ones have drinks and food included.

2. Where is there a rule that says you have to B-line back to the ship? You go as the the tour guides you. There was never ever any instruction given that says otherwise. You all are just assuming without any experience.

6 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

1. What do you all think one does on does on a “bubble” tour? It’s often nothing more than a bus ride to a public beach where you mix with thousands of others, some from other ships, local island, etc. Nice ones have drinks and food included.

2. Where is there a rule that says you have to B-line back to the ship? You go as the the tour guides you. There was never ever any instruction given that says otherwise. You all are just assuming without any experience.

Actually it does say you have to return to the ship in the tour group.  

You are going out of your way to sensationalize something that is isn't occurring in broad practice.  Has someone broken the rules and gotten away it?  Perhaps, but that is the exception and not the general practice.

8 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

1. Again, I'm not arguing that the covid protocols make sense. 

You are making an argument that you should be able to disregard the rules that a business has told you in advance that you need to follow because you disagree with them.

You have certain freedom to act as you wish at home and even in certain public places. Businesses have the same freedom to set rules for how they operate. If you want to start your own cruise company, you can run it as you see fit.

3 minutes ago, Pooch said:

So tired of the people who think they don’t have to follow rules with which they don’t agree.  Don’t like the rules?  STAY HOME!!!!

Exactly, RCG gives you the option of a refund if you don't want to comply. We had issues with people who wanted to force themselves in the elevator when I was already with my party of 5. People who took issue with washy, washy and the mask. 

Also, if you look at the excursion protocols objectively, they make sense. Yes, they can pack people on buses who have been vaccinated and/or taken a test in the past two days. They will be able to easily trace if someone does test positive. Most places you take an excursion to are outdoors and not filled with thousands of people. I just wish people would stop trying to justify unsafe behavior. 

👏 Not 👏 Breaking 👏 Any 👏 Rules

It says you mush purchase a tour though Royal if you wish to go ashore. Period. End. Have yet to see anything that says otherwise.

Families traveling with unvaccinated kids must purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean if they wish to go ashore in ports of call. This applies to all ports of call except Perfect Day at CocoCay, Labadee and Port Canaveral, Florida. Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port

15 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

It says you mush purchase a tour though Royal if you wish to go ashore. Period. End. Have yet to see anything that says otherwise.

Families traveling with unvaccinated kids must purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean if they wish to go ashore in ports of call. This applies to all ports of call except Perfect Day at CocoCay, Labadee and Port Canaveral, Florida. Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port

Quit trying to act like it's "letter of the law" vs "spirit of the law."

Go on the bubble tour and stay with the group, or stay on the ship while in port. Period. End.

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Apparently you never learned that the world is not based on you and your thoughts or feelings.  SO let me be the first to tell you, it doesn't.  Neither I nor RCCL care what you think about science or the CDC.  RCCL makes the rules and if you go on a cruise you agree to follow them.  All.  Period. No matter what you believe, think or feel.  And read the actual rules and laws for most of these countries, especuially when it comes to unvaccinated people.  Apparently they made their rules without consulting you.  If you don't want to follow the rules, don't go.

25 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Wow.  That's all that I can think to say that won't get me in trouble.  Wow.  But wait, that might be the explanation.  You don't follow the rules because they are beyond your comprehension.  You need to learn to ask someone when you don't understand things.

And this is why dealing with the public is so difficult. I've worked retail my entire career and the sense of entitlement has gotten progressively worse. OP was ignorant of the rules but some people are the "special" people that the rules don't apply to.

Is it too much to hope they end up getting kicked off the cruise and left behind? Nope, I'm just going to enjoy my vacation.

It’s clear that no one here has had any first hand experience in these tours and they just have a fantasy idea of what the tours really are all about. Some of the tours even include the option to return to the ship at your own leisure. Don’t believe me? READ THE TOUR DESCRIPTIONS.

1 hour ago, uhclem42 said:

There have been several publicized cases where passengers that didn't stay with the tour were thrown off the cruise.  I'm sure you wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.

Google it.

Yes, again not talking Europe or the three restricted islands here. I’m talking general cruise ports from US. 

3 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

It’s clear that no one here has had any first hand experience in these tours and they just have a fantasy idea of what the tours really are all about. Some of the tours even include the option to return to the ship at your own leisure. Don’t believe me? READ THE TOUR DESCRIPTIONS.

Honestly, after reading your posts, I wouldn't believe you if you said the sky was blue.  Those descriptions make no difference.  But why would the descriptions even matter?  According to you, the rules don't require you to actually go on the tour anyway.  It's clear that you feel that you do not have to follow the clearly stated rules.  Stop trying to justify it, own it.  

9 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Honestly, after reading your posts, I wouldn't believe you if you said the sky was blue.  Those descriptions make no difference.  But why would the descriptions even matter?  According to you, the rules don't require you to actually go on the tour anyway.  It's clear that you feel that you do not have to follow the clearly stated rules.  Stop trying to justify it, own it.  

I think you’re in for a big shock come your mid December cruise. 🤷‍♂️