STAR CLASS 9 night Anniversary Celebration Cruise-Anthem of the Seas February 11th-20th, 2022

Drewtastic86

I cannot wait any longer! I am so STARry eyed 🤩, that my eyes burn with glee! We are a little over two months away from our first Star Class cruise experience on board the Anthem of the Seas.  My husband Rob and I are in the midst of making arrangements for our upcoming dream vacation while simultaneously selling our house and buying a new house around the block lol.  Yes we are crazy, but who isn't LOL? I am driving Rob bananas (I always have to sing that Gwen Stefani song in my head when spelling B-A-N-A-N-A-S!) asking him if we received the Star Class questionnaire yet.  Rob is the responsible one who checks emails every hour so I am at his Mercy LOL. In the meantime, here is the lowdown of our anniversary cruise thus far:

***P.S. SHOUT OUT to @WAAAYTOOO @Jax @Lovetocruise2002 @CravingaCruise and many others for your guidance and blogs that kept me up till 2 AM too many nights LOL

Who: Andrew & Rob 

What: Anthem of the Seas Star Class Cruise 10 year Wedding Anniversary Celebration!

Staying in GLS #10324

When: February 11th, 2022

Where:  Who cares? We are going on a cruise lol

San Juan, St. Maarten, Labadee (probably will change) & 5 cruising days (We love sea days)!!!

I have already made a document of preferences that I have finessed like thirty times so we (me) do not sound completely insane! I have heard good things about both Yen and Jay so we are going to try to request either of them to be our magic Genie!  I am looking forward to posting again soon once our questionnaire comes!

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Same! I am next door in July! (Same sailing as @GregD 😉)

And might I point out again to @Matt that I no longer hold the record for earliest start. 😂

Shoot, you are actually considered to be a “late” starter of your blog now.  People start them now over a year before sail date, which is good for me because I enjoyed reading everyone’s excitement about their upcoming cruise.  One of the first live blogs I read was yours Lovetocruise2002.  You did a wonderful job!  

5 minutes ago, Drewtastic86 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 Lol I couldn’t help myself! The suite looks so beautiful and I feel like we made the right choice moving from deck 8 to deck 10 thanks to multiple recommendations!

I’m looking to book same room on the Anthem.  What are the advantages for your move from 8th floor to 10th floor?

12 minutes ago, Yesiamthere said:

I’m looking to book same room on the Anthem.  What are the advantages for your move from 8th floor to 10th floor?

@Yesiamthere I don’t know from experience yet but have read multiple reviews of both the 8th and 10th deck GLS and at least for me it looked like quite a few people experienced some bleeding noise from two70. Didn’t seem to be excessive but I think people could interpret volume differently so we felt it best to move up a bit just in case we felt it was too noisy.

9 hours ago, Yesiamthere said:

Shoot, you are actually considered to be a “late” starter of your blog now.  

I don't want to jinx anymore sailings lol

9 hours ago, Yesiamthere said:

We also went from Deck 8 to 10 due to a few noise complaints.  Also, according to cruisedeckplans, the balconies on Deck 10 are supposed to be slightly bigger.

I can feel your excitement and you're in good company!  You're going to love it!  Just prepare your budget in advance - it's quite addicting!

On 12/2/2021 at 3:12 PM, Drewtastic86 said:

I have heard good things about both Yen and Jay so we are going to try to request either of them to be our magic Genie!

If I remember correctly, Yen said her contract was ending in January and she was planning to go home over Chinese New Year.  Jay and Simona may still be on in February.  I've heard great things about Jay, and Simona helped us out with our reservation scramble while at the BeachClub on CocoCay.  After that, we saw her everywhere and she's adorable.

Congrats on 10 years! ❤️ 

Had some random questions and in search of some pro tips:

Thoughts on bringing a collapsible hamper for laundry? We plan to get laundry done frequently since it is complimentary.

Are the lights along the stairs in the GLS really that bad? I have read a couple blogs saying they are a bit intense.

If we stayed on the ship while in port, are there enough things to do onboard such as dining venues open and bars? We just did a Virgin cruise and there was only one bar, two restaurants and the spa open.  Normally on Royal we get off the ship but we plan to have no plans and go with the "flow" if you will.

We have been on Anthem before but never saw the Gift....Is it as bizarre as I have seen in other posts lol?

I needed a break from packing up the house. Why did we decide to sell the house right before Christmas and our cruise??? lol  Needless to say, I will need to butter hubby up with a spa treatment or something on board lol.

27 minutes ago, Drewtastic86 said:

Thoughts on bringing a collapsible hamper for laundry? We plan to get laundry done frequently since it is complimentary.

I sent laundry out daily so I put it straight into the laundry bag provided. At the time the laundry bags were paper bags that always seemed to rip. Hopefully that’s changed.  They were a pain. 

Are the lights along the stairs in the GLS really that bad? I have read a couple blogs saying they are a bit intense.

We had no issues with the lighting on the stairs.  Our issues were with the HVAC system. Lol

We have been on Anthem before but never saw the Gift....Is it as bizarre as I have seen in other posts lol?

It received a failing grade from us. ❌ Same as Spectra Cabaret. ❌

If we stayed on the ship while in port, are there enough things to do onboard such as dining venues open and bars?

We never noticed a difference in sea days vs port days and seemed to keep busy. A good genie will factor that into your schedule. 

Your Mileage with the shows my vary.

I didn't get to see The Gift but I loved Spectra. Love the music, the different styles,  and the music. I've heard people go both ways with both shows. My thing is it's included in your cruise fare so why not check it out. If you try to think about the cost of actual shows like this unless you just hate performances in general it's worth trying something new.

Case in point,  My partner is a hater of musicals but loooved We Will Rock You. 

17 hours ago, Drewtastic86 said:

We love the collapsible hamper and bring it on every cruise.  We found it invaluable, even with sending laundry out every day (sometimes more than once a day !!).

Never even noticed them.  

If we stayed on the ship while in port, are there enough things to do onboard such as dining venues open and bars?

It's very rare for any of the specialty restaurants to be open while in port.  There are usually a small selection of bars open but most are not.  Remaining on the ship while in port can be a good time to do some of the activities such as flow rider, iFly, NorthStar.  I can't recall whether bumper cars were operational in port or not.  As @Jaxsaid, your Genie will be particularly helpful with this information.

We loved We Will Rock You but found the Gift to be very odd.  It is worth seeing once.

While scrambling around getting the house ready for "picture day" on Tuesday, I had two thoughts come to mind:

1.  Will all of this lifting and cardio that I am getting from packing the house and moving to another, I wonder if I will be able to fit in my skinny jeans in time for the cruise?

2.  Does anyone know the current cost for the thermal spa pass?  I wonder how different the cost will be since last time I remember it was sold as a 7 day pass.  This is a 9 night cruise so I am curious how the pricing will work in this case.  Lord knows we will need as much spa time as possible after this move LOL!

WE RECEIVED OUR FIRST EVER STAR CLASS QUESTIONNAIRE!!!  However, I do have say some of the questions are a bit strange....I would not ever go to Mars and even if I did I would bring medication and large amounts of wine 🍷 to calm me down during the flight LOL.... I do not think that would be an appropriate answer so I left that one blank! It is real now that I am completing the questionnaire!!!

58 minutes ago, Drewtastic86 said:

WE RECEIVED OUR FIRST EVER STAR CLASS QUESTIONNAIRE!!!  However, I do have say some of the questions are a bit strange....I would not ever go to Mars and even if I did I would bring medication and large amounts of wine 🍷 to calm me down during the flight LOL.... I do not think that would be an appropriate answer so I left that one blank! It is real now that I am completing the questionnaire!!!

I rarely answer most of the questionnaire anymore.  I think some of the questions are silly.  I let them know what kinds of beverages we want in the suite and a few relevant things like that but leave the rest of it mostly blank.

Congratulations !!

Well, it has been a whirlwind of a weekend! Our house was officially listed for sale this past Thursday and we are under contract as of today! It amazes me how fast this happened!  Maybe too fast...LOL We close January 25th and our cruise is February 11th so that is going to be quite interesting! We will make it happen and will definitely need R & R after moving!  

On 12/4/2021 at 3:44 PM, Geektastic said:

Your Mileage with the shows my vary.

I didn't get to see The Gift but I loved Spectra. Love the music, the different styles,  and the music. I've heard people go both ways with both shows. My thing is it's included in your cruise fare so why not check it out. If you try to think about the cost of actual shows like this unless you just hate performances in general it's worth trying something new.

Case in point,  My partner is a hater of musicals but loooved We Will Rock You. 

We saw Spectra and WWRY this past week - Spectra was REALLY good, and we had seats right in front of the bar, up next to the stage. I think this show requires immersion - you need to be down front, or real close. Distance (back of the lower deck, or the balcony) work against you. 

WWRY was NOT our cup of tea. My wife and I were giggling at the ridiculousness of the entire plot. The tech was good, the band was good, but we just couldn’t get past “Scaramoosh, we have to get back to the Hard Rock Cafe!” Much cringe was had by all. 

12 hours ago, MattG said:

Spectra was REALLY good, and we had seats right in front of the bar, up next to the stage. I think this show requires immersion - you need to be down front, or real close. Distance (back of the lower deck, or the balcony) work against you. 

It's interesting that you say that.  When we were on our B2B SC cruises on Anthem in 2019 we did Spectra twice.  The first cruise the Genie sat us up front but I felt like I was constantly having to turn around in my seat to see what was happening behind me.  The second week we sat a bit farther back (so that we were at least behind those pedestals that come out of the rear stage) and I thought the show was much better on the second showing.  Now...we had already sat through the show once and knew what was coming so that may have had something to do with it.  Either way, we enjoyed both Spectra and WWRY.  I know that @Jaxreally did not enjoy Spectra but I thought it was at least sensually stimulating and that's about all you can expect for a ship show (did I just say that ??). 

Truthfully, I have never ever seen a show on a ship (with the possible exception of Cats and Grease. Mama Mia has a plot but it is to asinine that I refuse to include it in this list) where there was any plot to speak of.  I have come to expect for the show to NOT have any plot and it makes it a lot easier when my expectations are confirmed and there is not....  And just so ya know, I am a fan of neither Cats nor Grease...but I will begrudgingly admit that there is at least a semblance of a plot there.

16 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

know that @Jaxreally did not enjoy Spectra but I thought it was at least sensually stimulating and that's about all you can expect for a ship show (did I just say that ??). 

Sensually stimulating 😆 It was over stimulating for me. 😆 I think it was a combination of factors but now that the seating is mentioned that may have played a small part. We had the lead entertainer and others running behind us and it was a bit creepy and very loud. If I recall Lindsay’s review, he said it was 60 minutes too long and 59 minutes we can’t get back. 😆 But on a serious note, entertainment is subjective; we all walk away with a different feeling. I say if you are curious about a show, what’s the harm in going. 

45 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The first cruise the Genie sat us up front but I felt like I was constantly having to turn around in my seat to see what was happening behind me.

Now that I think back, this makes a lot of sense, as the lifts are out of your peripheral if you're down front. 

21 hours ago, MattG said:

We saw Spectra and WWRY this past week - Spectra was REALLY good, and we had seats right in front of the bar, up next to the stage. I think this show requires immersion - you need to be down front, or real close. Distance (back of the lower deck, or the balcony) work against you. 

WWRY was NOT our cup of tea. My wife and I were giggling at the ridiculousness of the entire plot. The tech was good, the band was good, but we just couldn’t get past “Scaramoosh, we have to get back to the Hard Rock Cafe!” Much cringe was had by all. 

Yeah see! I think everyone's a little different but I enjoy that I don't have to pay a lot to try an experience I might not otherwise. I can get the cringe lol it's a little weird lol

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas everyone!!! So excited our dream cruise is quickly approaching. A little nervous about how Omicron is impacting things. However, from what I have been seeing lately in blogs/posts, things have been relatively smooth and the new protocols do not seem to limit a great cruise experience. We would rather be safe then sorry, so personally I am fine with mask wearing indoors. Completed the survey two weeks ago and now anxiously awaiting to find out who our genie is!!! 

Trying to figure out about tuxedo rentals.  I chatted with @Booscruize (Shout out!!!) about this since they had a similar question for their fabulous wedding sailing.  Has anyone had recent experiences with Royal's tuxedo rental service?  My husband is going to call tomorrow and try to get more info on if the rentals are still available (He is off tomorrow from and I am not so he gets to wait on the phone for a frustratingly long time 🙂 lol).  Since we are celebrating our 10 year anniversary, we wanted to have something special to wear on formal nights/Valentine's Day.  We also need something that is guaranteed to fit since moving has brought us to ordering take out 😬.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year! Chomping at the bit here as February 11th is only a little over a month away. A lot can happen in a month, hopefully for the better! At this point, we have decided that the only way we will cancel the cruise is if Royal cancels cruises completely which I do not foresee.  We need to get away especially since it will be about two weeks after we move into our new house. Our backs will be screaming for a massage lol.  Also, while I love snow and cold weather, we are already kind of over it lol. Had a big winter storm here yesterday and Delaware freaks out when it snows lol.  Hope to check in soon with our genie letter! 

ALERT! ALERT! 

We received our Genie letter this evening! I literally ripped the phone out of my husband's hand as he began proclaiming we received the letter!  I had to see it for myself! He puts up with so much from me LOL 

Drumroll......

We have Genie Jay Galagate! Have heard good things about him and we are looking forward to hearing more from him as we get closer to cruise day! 

Stay Tuned!

12 hours ago, Drewtastic86 said:

ALERT! ALERT! 

We received our Genie letter this evening! I literally ripped the phone out of my husband's hand as he began proclaiming we received the letter!  I had to see it for myself! He puts up with so much from me LOL 

Drumroll......

We have Genie Jay Galagate! Have heard good things about him and we are looking forward to hearing more from him as we get closer to cruise day! 

Stay Tuned!

I'm sailing star class 9 days after you on Oasis. I can't wait for our Genie letter. This blog will help me get through that last week before my cruise!

So Jay has been communicating with us and he is very nice!!! He is also quick to respond which is awesome! I asked if he knew whether Labadee will be cancelled (which I am sure it will be) and he said we will be contacted of any changes closer to the time of cruise which I understand.  I did ask about Thermal spa amenities and he said Star Class gets one day complimentary at the Thermal Spa.  I asked if he could book us passes for the remainder of the cruise.  On cruise planner, it only sells the passes for a 7 night cruise and we are on a 9 night.  He said he will take care of it and it will be no problem.  Also he is going to reserve us a table by the window with a server he feels is really great at Coastal Kitchen.  We like to have consistency with servers on a cruise so can develop a rapport.  Jay has been so great with making things happen! I love Star Class already !

It’s a mixed bag, for me, with a table near the window.  I HATE to have the sun glaring in and I absolutely canNOT sit looking into the sun so it almost always works out better for me to be away from the window unless it’s after dark.  It is a beautiful view though, Looking out over the pool area.  Glad to hear that Jay is being so helpful and responsive.

22 hours ago, Drewtastic86 said:

Also he is going to reserve us a table by the window with a server he feels is really great at Coastal Kitchen.

We had Sid on a recent sailing and he was great, but Jacob (Manager) was phenomenal!  He doted on us the entire time and was an absolute joy.  I'm sure he will do the same for you.  If you're not opposed to being spoiled, get ready!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!  10 more days and we are onboard the Anthem of the Seas. I have been a little MIA for a couple of weeks. We moved into our new home and 2 days before we started the move, I tested positive.  Imagine moving furniture and boxes while not feeling well and masked up. Yeah it’s as inconvenient as you would think! Two days ago during the blizzard we had in Delaware (that was fun lol) I tested negative finally!!! However, after having Covid I really can see that this virus is nothing to mess around with! I am trying to remain hopeful that we will be cruising but a little part of me is nervous since I just stopped being symptomatic! Cross your fingers we can still go!

Covid anxiety aside, here is a little cruise update. We received correspondence from Royal stating our itinerary has changed. We will not be stopping at San Juan and Labadee (which I figured). Instead, we are planned to stop at Puerto Plata and St. Thomas, along with St. Maarten. My husband and I are fine with these changes. In fact the ship could be circling the Statue of Liberty for the whole 9 nights at this point lol. We just need a vacation! And this being our 10 year wedding celebration cruise means so much.

We booked one excursion which is in St. Thomas. We decided to try that jet pack water rocket contraption that is the latest craze. I totally think I’m going to propel myself into an embarrassing and painful belly flop. But hey, when in Rome (or in this case St. Thomas). 

Our Genie Jay has been very good with communication and is quick to respond to any questions we have. We are looking forward to meeting him!  

Talk soon!