Roatan Sloth Question

deep1

Fiance and her daughter are sloth finatics.... Never mind 7 days on one of the biggest nicest ships in the world all they seem to focus on for the last few days is Sloths.  We arranged for private tours including sloths. I like to stay ahead of the game and know a really nice souvenir will be in order...  I'm thinking about a really nice stuffed replica sloth for each of them. I see some on line that are nice. Also see some junk as well. National Geographic has a nice one for example. On line could do the job but I was wondering if they had anything like that on island for sale.  I'm good at sneaking away , making purchases, then present when the time is right. Open to suggestions of other momento ideas related to  Sloths as well... 

6 minutes ago, deep1 said:

Fiance and her daughter are sloth finatics.... Never mind 7 days on one of the biggest nicest ships in the world all they seem to focus on for the last few days is Sloths.  We arranged for private tours including sloths. I like to stay ahead of the game and know a really nice souvenir will be in order...  I'm thinking about a really nice stuffed replica sloth for each of them. I see some on line that are nice. Also see some junk as well. National Geographic has a nice one for example. On line could do the job but I was wondering if they had anything like that on island for sale.  I'm good at sneaking away , making purchases, then present when the time is right. Open to suggestions of other momento ideas related to  Sloths as well... 

Surprisingly, they are not easy to find on the island.  My wife always wants to do the sloths in Roatan (admittedly, they are pretty cool) but we have never found good merchandise there.

3 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Surprisingly, they are not easy to find on the island.  My wife always wants to do the sloths in Roatan (admittedly, they are pretty cool) but we have never found good merchandise there.

Kind of follows trend in a lot of that part of the world. In Cozumel you can find Vanilla extract everywhere but cant find tthe beans themselves... I'm good at looking hard (Finding top shelf hammocks off the beaten path in Costa Maya) , (Knowing which roadside stand has the sweetest pineapple or taastiest chili pepper) but often that what I seek just isn't there... Still maybe someone has stumbled on something in a back road shop...

They had some pretty cool Mahogany carvings at the port at one of the shops. They were working on them in front of us..can't recall a sloth but I wasn't looking for one. This was pre pandemic so I don't know how the port is with stores being open, but it's a neat local souvenir to purchase if you come across any that are appropriate!

10 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

They had some pretty cool Mahogany carvings at the port at one of the shops. They were working on them in front of us..can't recall a sloth but I wasn't looking for one. This was pre pandemic so I don't know how the port is with stores being open, but it's a neat local souvenir to purchase if you come across any that are appropriate!

I have a house foull of wood carved animals mostly from Africa... I'm thinking something soft and plush and furry here... Its possible I could find something carved. Fiance' is big into sea horses as awell and often I find them in those stands...  I'm seeing stuff from $25- $250 on line that would fill the bill but would fall short on me sneaking it to them on the trip... 

1 hour ago, Snotarni said:

Do you have a "go-to" recommendation for a Sloth's tour in Roatan?  Looks like Royal's Shore Excursion to the Sloths is sold out for our cruise.  Thanks!

We booked the beach + sloths from  https://www.boddentours.com/roatan-tour-excursion-availability   (Victor's Monkey & Sloth Sanctuary) based on a friend's recommendation (Wonder of the Seas March 11th)  but the other one we looked at was Daniel Johnson's sloth tours which was also mentioned.  (The RC ones were sold out on that)

45 minutes ago, Atricks said:

We booked the beach + sloths from  https://www.boddentours.com/roatan-tour-excursion-availability   (Victor's Monkey & Sloth Sanctuary) based on a friend's recommendation (Wonder of the Seas March 11th)  but the other one we looked at was Daniel Johnson's sloth tours which was also mentioned.  (The RC ones were sold out on that)

I have been on both and they are both really good.  

29 minutes ago, Snotarni said:

Thanks!!!   I just submitted a request for the Beach and Sloths from Bodden

You will love it!  We did the tour in August and the only thing I would suggest is that you skip the zip-line unless you REALLY love zip-lines.  I would also bring an extra shirt, as it was extremely humid and we also got peed on by monkeys. 🤣

• 3 months later...
23 hours ago, KDK said:

How far is it from port to the sloth experience? If I have an 11:30 horseback riding excursion with RCCL, would I have time to do the sloth experience early in the morning or is that playing it too tight? 

My suggestion would be to ditch the RC excursion, and hire a driver for the day.  Then you can do both easily.  I use Rony's Tours - He offer's both.  

Rony’s Private Tour – (Free Style) EXCURSION YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN!! - Roatan Tours, Cruiseship Activities, Excursions, Zipline Canopy Tours with Ronys Independent Tours, Roatan (ronystours.com)

1 hour ago, wordell1 said:

My suggestion would be to ditch the RC excursion, and hire a driver for the day.  Then you can do both easily.  I use Rony's Tours - He offer's both.  

Rony’s Private Tour – (Free Style) EXCURSION YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN!! - Roatan Tours, Cruiseship Activities, Excursions, Zipline Canopy Tours with Ronys Independent Tours, Roatan (ronystours.com)

Thank you so much for this suggestion! I sent an inquiry to Rony's just now to see if it is possible! So appreciate this advice. 

On 3/22/2022 at 4:43 PM, wordell1 said:

I just did a tour with Rony last week. He is awesome.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. They were able to curate a perfect 1/2 day tour for us that included both of those activities. I wish you were on our ship so that my family could thank you with a drink! We truly appreciate it.  Do you have suggestions on how much to tip the driver if there are 3 of us in the "party?" I am new at all of these things!

2 hours ago, KDK said:

Thank you so much for your suggestion. They were able to curate a perfect 1/2 day tour for us that included both of those activities. I wish you were on our ship so that my family could thank you with a drink! We truly appreciate it.  Do you have suggestions on how much to tip the driver if there are 3 of us in the "party?" I am new at all of these things!

I think $10 a person - You will have a great time.

I know nobody will believe me, but as a former zookeeper and someone who still has a friend involved in a very respectable sloth rescue, physical sloth encounters are so bad for the animals.  It's so incredibly stressful for them, not to mention the pressure that increased desire for sloth encounters put on wild populations.

I won't debate it, it's up to each individual to decide to do what their conscious allows.  I just hope people think about it first.

18 hours ago, Jaynice said:

Why skip the zip lines? Are they just ‘eh? We’re to do zip line and ATV. 

There are quite a few different zip lines on Roatan - We have done 3 of them and enjoyed all of them.  Roatan is set up perfectly for zip lines with lots of valleys to run the lines across.  They are also reasonably priced vs other places.

17 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I know nobody will believe me, but as a former zookeeper and someone who still has a friend involved in a very respectable sloth rescue, physical sloth encounters are so bad for the animals.  It's so incredibly stressful for them, not to mention the pressure that increased desire for sloth encounters put on wild populations.

I won't debate it, it's up to each individual to decide to do what their conscious allows.  I just hope people think about it first.

We went to Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout back in February and are going to go back in July with our teen boys.  I'm not a zookeeper, nor have I been to any of the other sloth encounters, but I was unbelievably impressed with the way Daniel Johnson runs his operation.  He has only his family working for him there.  He tells everyone that comes there that the sloths come 1st .  He said they will only let people hold a sloth that wants to be held.  You were not allowed to pet them, you just had to stand there very still like a tree.  He started the place as a sanctuary and would take the sloths to schools to show the children that the animals aren't dangerous.  He said  that most Honduran people are scared of sloths and find them dangerous and they kill them.  I can't convey in this small paragraph how much we liked him and his business .  You could see how much himself, his mother, his brother his sister, and the whole family loved and cared for their animals.

26 minutes ago, need2cruz said:

We went to Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout back in February and are going to go back in July with our teen boys.  I'm not a zookeeper, nor have I been to any of the other sloth encounters, but I was unbelievably impressed with the way Daniel Johnson runs his operation.  He has only his family working for him there.  He tells everyone that comes there that the sloths come 1st .  He said they will only let people hold a sloth that wants to be held.  You were not allowed to pet them, you just had to stand there very still like a tree.  He started the place as a sanctuary and would take the sloths to schools to show the children that the animals aren't dangerous.  He said  that most Honduran people are scared of sloths and find them dangerous and they kill them.  I can't convey in this small paragraph how much we liked him and his business .  You could see how much himself, his mother, his brother his sister, and the whole family loved and cared for their animals.

Didn't realized you could hold them.  Didn't think they'd like people.