Aspirin not for sale on ships

BillB

Does any one know if it is true that the CDC forbids ships to sell aspirin, Tylenol, etc.?  My back has gone out and I could not find any pain relievers in any of the shops on board.  I asked at guest services and was told that the cdc does not allow them to sell pain relivers due to covid. I looked on line and could not find anything that suggests that this is true.  I ended up having to buy Midol to help with my pain since it does have acetaminophen in it.  Does anyone know  if this is true that they can not sell plain aspirin or acetaminophen?  Thanks.

An abject lesson in taking any OTC meds you might need.  I have a small pharmacy I bring with pain relievers, cold meds, pepto, Imodium, bandaids, mole skin, sunburn cream.  Ok you get the idea.  You can’t rely on any of this being readily available. Not to mention the outrageous prices!

3 hours ago, BillB said:

Does any one know if it is true that the CDC forbids ships to sell aspirin, Tylenol, etc.?  My back has gone out and I could not find any pain relievers in any of the shops on board.  I asked at guest services and was told that the cdc does not allow them to sell pain relivers due to covid. I looked on line and could not find anything that suggests that this is true.  I ended up having to buy Midol to help with my pain since it does have acetaminophen in it.  Does anyone know  if this is true that they can not sell plain aspirin or acetaminophen?  Thanks.

There generally a vending machine down in the medical center. I’d check that out and then you could always ask and explain why you need it.  Couldn’t hurt.

53 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Thank you so much. I will have to try this.

You know what works even better than moleskin?  a Compeed patch.  We've been using these for years and have had great success.
image.thumb.png.aa7d4aa8466b94474d7aac461d22a210.png

https://www.compeedusa.com/products/

We get them at Walgreens / Walmart / Target 

47 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Just like packing a little bit of everyone’s clothes in each bag in case a bag is lost, I thought packing OTCs was Packing 101 🤷‍♀️ People don’t necessarily know to do this??

Exactly

I have one of these, it stays packed and is ready to go anytime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFTFN72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

10 hours ago, SPS said:

It's a self-adhesive patch you can place over corns, callouses, or "friction areas" on your feet that can help prevent blisters.

I used this in the military on my heels and the balls of my feet when we had to do road marches.

Amazon.com: Dr. Scholl's Moleskin Plus 4 5/8-Inch X 3 3/8 Inch Padding,  3-Count Packages (Pack of 8) : Industrial & Scientific

We would get big rolls of this from Amazon when my daughter was doing serial casting for her scoliosis.  It helped on the edges of the cast to not rub as much.

1 hour ago, IzzyB said:

We would get big rolls of this from Amazon when my daughter was doing serial casting for her scoliosis.  It helped on the edges of the cast to not rub as much.

How well does the adhesive stick? I have eczema on one foot and I have to use a steroid cream on it similar to vaseline. Do you think they would stick with that?

12 hours ago, Pooch said:

For blisters on your feet.  We do a LOT of walking on vacation.  If you get a hot spot from footwear rubbing, moleskin works better than a bandaid.  A lesson learned after MANY trips to Disney!

It’s quite the lifesaver when you feel a blister coming on and you’re a few days hike from any civilization and carrying a 40lb pack. 

4 hours ago, The Fox said:

How well does the adhesive stick? I have eczema on one foot and I have to use a steroid cream on it similar to vaseline. Do you think they would stick with that?

It probably wouldn't stick where the vaseline is.  It is very sticky, but once it starts peeling off it will keep going.  We had to normally tape the edges of it down with Duct tape so that we wouldn't have to change it often.  But the bottom of her cast would sometimes get wet when her dry suit leaked a little during swimming and if it got wet it would all come off really easily.

I took photos of all the available items in the Unboxed machines on the Oasis and you’re right…there is no OTC pain/fever medication. But…I guess that’s makes sense. If anyone develops symptoms requiring Tylenol or similar (fever, body aches, chills, etc) they would want them to report these symptoms to medical…and not self-treat. They can then test and give OTC symptom-relievers.

18 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Exactly

I have one of these, it stays packed and is ready to go anytime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFTFN72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

19 hours ago, Pooch said:

Just like packing a little bit of everyone’s clothes in each bag in case a bag is lost, I thought packing OTCs was Packing 101 🤷‍♀️ People don’t necessarily know to do this??

I'm a pharmacist -- you have no idea what I consider necessary to pack & hope to not need!!! Cold/cough medicines, analgesics (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Tylenol), bacitracin & bandaids, hydrocortisone cream, antihistamines, PLUS all the prescription meds our family uses-- we use a small rolling bag for all our health related items

On 12/1/2021 at 7:53 PM, Pooch said:

An abject lesson in taking any OTC meds you might need.  I have a small pharmacy I bring with pain relievers, cold meds, pepto, Imodium, bandaids, mole skin, sunburn cream.  Ok you get the idea.  You can’t rely on any of this being readily available. Not to mention the outrageous prices!

I do as well . Hubby laughs but it has saved us and fellow passengers countless times ! we're bring the Grands with us this time , there will be a basket with assorted " goodies " on the counter , and speaking of Midol , with a 16 year old grand daughter that needs to go in the basket too 😄