PayPal gifts selling bogus Royal Caribbean Gift Cards

Dozerhand

I bought one for my wife to use on an upcoming cruise only to find out later that the "Certificate" they sent me is only good for purchases on a new cruise, not for any activities or shops on the ship. Why would you buy a Gift card, which has to be registered to a cruise number before use, before signing up for the cruise?  

I thought the same thing would have been with this card! No refunds, no using it to pay for anything on the ship, there is no exploration date so I might be able to save it for another cruise later. .....I always seem to have to fight my way off Carnival ships with all the drunks and Disney got to expensive.

11 hours ago, Dozerhand said:

I bought one for my wife to use on an upcoming cruise only to find out later that the "Certificate" they sent me is only good for purchases on a new cruise, not for any activities or shops on the ship. Why would you buy a Gift card, which has to be registered to a cruise number before use, before signing up for the cruise?  

Yah the RCL gift cards can only be used towards cruise fare. One tip I did to save additional money is I used a credit card with either points or cash back to purchase those gift cards and I purchase it through one of those deal websites that give you additional cashback or points to use. So on my recent cruise i purchased $1000 in gift cards to go towards the cruise fare. I received 2% cash back on my purchase and then another 7% back through the deal website i went through. So i wound up getting $1000 gift card for $910.  

I really do hate reading the fine print, but its a must nowadays because companies don't care if you didn't see the fine print. 

On 11/29/2021 at 8:06 PM, Dozerhand said:

This has been the rules for RCCL "Gift Certificates" as long as i have ever seen them, at least the past 7 years.

As Matt said the rules for use are very restrictive and the process to redeem is complicated and fraught with pitfalls.

That said I did use them 2+ years ago to save $500 on a 5k Grand Suite cruise.  I purchased mine through the old AARP rewards system.

Based on that experience, I don't see trying it again in the future. 

For anyone considering trying to save money this way, I suggest you heed Matt and Sharla's advice and leave them alone.

Postscript:  Carnival gift cards are much much easier to use and in the rare event I ever sail Carnival again, i would use them