Friends of Bill W?

bryresangel

6 hours ago, teddy said:

I’m guessing they can’t call it an AA meeting if it’s not officially sanctioned, so they do it this way. 

Kinda like when we were onboard Mariner during the Super Bowl and they had to call it “The Big Game”. 

At the 70s Disco Inferno Party, they have stopped introducing the men as the  "Village People", they now call the "The Macho Men"

38 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

At the 70s Disco Inferno Party, they have stopped introducing the men as the  "Village People", they now call the "The Macho Men"

Thats probably a copyright thing! 

Theres a lawsuit in Germany right now where the real tina turner is suing a tina turner tribute act because she looks like her ( no joke ) 

I would like to know which one is simply the best? 

16 hours ago, Beth Davis said:

This is actually very common across the community. I've heard it announced in Airports, etc. My mom is in recovery and it's helpful to know that when a craving comes through, as they do at the most random times, she can request support. 

I love this and am so happy that this type of support is available. It cannot be easy to deal with, especially on a cruise where it's everywhere.

17 minutes ago, bryresangel said:

I love this and am so happy that this type of support is available. It cannot be easy to deal with, especially on a cruise where it's everywhere.

My SIL is recovering and he still cannot be in a situation with that much alcohol.  Maybe one day they will be able to cruise but not right now.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 9:22 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

My SIL is recovering and he still cannot be in a situation with that much alcohol.  Maybe one day they will be able to cruise but not right now.

My mom says that it doesn’t bother her to be around it, however, I don’t drink around her whatsoever because she’s still very early in recovery and I don’t want to put her in that situation. I hope that I can take her on a cruise one day, and not be concerned. I will say that she used to not be able to fly without some liquid courage and she has now done that numerous times without. Good luck to your SIL, it is a tough process and thank goodness for your support and understanding! 

On 11/30/2021 at 7:04 AM, bryresangel said:

Thanks everyone. First time I have seen that and thought it was just some really popular guy who was having some party or something on board. COMPLETELY different than the actual meaning!

Years ago I did not know what Friends of Bill W was either.  I figured it was a travel agent with lots of customers on the ship!

Didn't know what this was either. Have been on multiple cruises but just saw it on the Cruise Planner (multiple events) for the first time this past Thanksgiving cruise on Symphony.  Thought it was a memorial cruise gathering for some guy named Bill, celebrating him and he must have been really loved. Not till seeing it here did we know what it really meant. 

Good luck to all "Friends of Bill W"!

And their family and friends too!

• 2 weeks later...

I find it fascinating that folks do not know.  My spouse quit drinking 20 years ago.  He still finds cruises a bit of a challenge even though none of our large family group drink at all on cruises with him in solidarity.  The friends of Bill meetings definitely help.  I don’t know that he would cruise without them.  We often have Star Class — I let the genie know and usually everything goes very well!!

I luckily have never had to deal with any type of addiction, nor has anyone close to me. But it seems it's a great program. You hear of people going to meetings for years and years almost every day even after their addictions subside because it helps them so much. And because it's totally 'anonymous', people can't talk about the other people they see. 

In Elton John's book, he talks about how obsessed he became with going to meetings everywhere he went and how many random people over the years were probably stunned to see Elton John in their AA meeting. Elton is also Eminem's sponsor, which I always thought was a fun fact. 

It's a really nice thing to have on board, although I find the meeting times inconvenient.  But when I need a meeting it's there.  You can also meet others who you can reach out to on board if the meeting time isn't available and you need someone to talk to.  We so enjoyed the last cruise I didn't go to a meeting, but there were times I was happy it was so large and we could leave the situation.

I am a bartender as well as in recovery, so I thought I would be ok on board the ship.  With our upcoming May cruise, it's 8 nights, so we shall see how that goes.

• 1 month later...

I went to the Friends of Bill W on Liberty on the Dec 19th Christmas Sailing. It was a great life line to have as my sobriety date is December 6th just 2 weeks prior. The family Holiday cruise had been shifted from 2020 and many plans were in place already so I went for it and survived without drinking even though I still had a DBP (we got a bundle and it was simpler to leave it than to try to shuffle) 

It's definitely easier to keep sane when there is support on hand. With Voom I was able to text or facetime my sponsor back home every day. 

We had Chef's Table the first night and I was served fruit smoothies and selected non alcoholic beverages instead of the wine. Our Waiters in the MDR once told were conscientious to make sure I knew which dishes might be prepared with wine sauces and would check if it wasn't listed without me asking. 

Over all I was treated with quiet respect and it was handled as smoothly and professionally as something like an allergy to nuts. 

We did get some confused looks when  other passengers wandered through to see the chapel where we met.

Still knowing some was else was on board I could reach out to meant a lot to me. 

Looking forward now to Grandeur leaving Galveston on June 6th. Another one that got shifted from 2021. I will be celebrating my 50th Bday on my 51st!