Omicron (not nice to meet) and possible impact to the cruise industry

WHO organization  just announced the new C-19 variant which currently spread very fast in South Africa .
This variant is highly suspected to be more contagions than the delta variant (which is 4 times more contagious from the pervious one). Still not clear the vaccine efficiency against this variant.

Currently RCL and other cruise line stock are trade 10% to 13%  down  .

Lets hope it will be another false alarm. we will know in about 10 to 14 days.

• Traveler changed the title to Omicron (not nice to meet) and possible impact to the cruise industry

It's all conjecture at this point.  It's way too early for anyone to be making definitive conclusions about it.  It's worth noting that South Africa's big surge last fall started pretty much this exact same time.

There have already been three post-Delta variants that were a hyped as a big cause for concern but they never amounted to anything.

This variant has been found in mainland Europe including the UK.

Measures have been reintroduced to slow the spread.

These measures include the wearing of masks and PCR test on day 2 for ALL entering country no matter vaccination status. 

Also ANYONE coming into close contact MUST self isolate for 10 days again this applies to all even if fully vaccinated.

I was speaking to a guy working for Qantas call v=centre who is based in South Africa. He told me that in lock down they are not allowed to buy alcohol as the Government mediated all the bottle shops to be closed. Now that in in-human. Funny story about how many people are getting sill from drinking various concoctions of home brew.

On 11/26/2021 at 1:02 PM, smokeybandit said:

It's all conjecture at this point.  It's way too early for anyone to be making definitive conclusions about it.  It's worth noting that South Africa's big surge last fall started pretty much this exact same time.

There have already been three post-Delta variants that were a hyped as a big cause for concern but they never amounted to anything.

Exactly this whole Omicron variant is being blown out of proportion first by the WHO now by governments all across the world looking to scare people.  They are still trying to use this virus as a means to control peoples lives regardless of vaccination status 

Covid is the new flu at this point. We will be doing yearly boosters for the rest of our life and in a few years the media will drop the circus parade amd move on to something else. Even if we had 100% worldwide vaccination this would still stick around unless extreme measures were put into place like a multi month quarantine on top of vaccination and a few other things. 

Could I be wrong. Sure. If so I have an old shoe to eat. But at this point these topics are beating a horse that had been dead for 6 months. Let's just bury it here and now...

I am really tired of ‘the sky is falling, the sky is falling’ mentality from the press and politicians every time a new variant arises.  I know the drama sells for news sites, and allows politicians to be able to be able to hold onto unreasonable control a while longer, but so far, as contagious as this is, the cases presenting are milder:

https://nypost.com/2021/11/27/omicron-variant-symptoms-unusual-but-mild-says-south-african-doctor/

Yes, I believe we will always need to monitor variants and work on the un-vaccinated (those who can vaccinate) to support public health, but we also have other global concerns that need addressing (not just COVID).  We don't know that much about omicron, but what we do know doesn't frighten me at this point; I am hopeful that the measures in place for cruising are adequate.  I remain optimistic about 2022 and 2023.  Frankly, I am more concerned about the airline industry (sufficient preventive measures?!)  than the cruising industry.  I want to thank all of the cruisers and crew who are making my planned trips possible and enjoyable!!

• Matt locked this topic