Who to contact about trying to set up a mix and mingle on board

Jim D

I am not sure if you guys remember me from my post that I was having all sorts of problems that led to some discrimination due to my sexual orientation.  But, I was happy to see that the events and entertainment are starting to be posted on the app (not for reservations as of yet).  What made me happy after all that I have gone thru to get on this cruise and deal with the terrible customer service that I have received, was they have a LGBT mix and mingle onboard.  However, and this is where the disappointment comes in, it is on the last night in Vortex as 11:30pm and that same time and in the same venue as the DJ is supposed to start playing for the evening.  Now I am not expecting to have 6 hours set aside to have a mix and mingle, but if Vortex is opening at 11;30pm for the dance party, however exactly is the LGBT mix and mingle supposed to happen at the same time.  Do I need to wear a sign that says LGBT or do I walk around and ask everyone that walks in what event are they here from.  To me is does not max a lot of sense.  I was curious if there is an email address or anyone to contact onboard to possible set one up earlier in the cruise. It would be nice to meet one another when there is more than 6 hours of the cruise remaining when the vast majority of people will be sleeping.   

27 minutes ago, bryresangel said:

We were just on the Independence, and there was a LGBT event every night (only a 3 night cruise). I'm surprised to see just one event, but maybe someone set all our ship's events up?

Hopefully, maybe something will change!

Yeah, I wouldn't place too much trust into the app/cruise planner for things like that prior to getting on board.  Just checked some of the cruise compass I still have and there was a LGBT event every evening.  You could check and see if anyone's sent Matt a recent one from the ship you'll be on here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass though to get a better idea 🙂

14 minutes ago, joshgates said:

Yeah, I wouldn't place too much trust into the app/cruise planner for things like that prior to getting on board.  Just checked some of the cruise compass I still have and there was a LGBT event every evening.  You could check and see if anyone's sent Matt a recent one from the ship you'll be on here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass though to get a better idea 🙂

I think Matt is on a cruise right now

There was some sort of LGBT event every night on Allure. Also, the app will be a little bit iffy until you sail. So, I wouldn't put too much stock into what is happening. I recall they had 3 events at the same time in Dazzles listed on the app before I sailed. It ended up being just one when I boarded.

4 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

There was some sort of LGBT event every night on Allure. Also, the app will be a little bit iffy until you sail. So, I wouldn't put too much stock into what is happening. I recall they had 3 events at the same time in Dazzles listed on the app before I sailed. It ended up being just one when I boarded.

But if it’s at the same time as other events in the same venue.  Am I supposed to wear a sign saying what event I am thetr for. 

1 hour ago, Jim D said:

But if it’s at the same time as other events in the same venue.  Am I supposed to wear a sign saying what event I am thetr for. 

Lol, no what I mean is that things will be corrected. So, either it will be the LGBT or whatever else is scheduled. They will only have one event .......unless it is a meet up unsanctioned event.

15 minutes ago, Jim D said:

Well I highly doubt they are going to get rid of the DJ on the last night of the cruise 

Well, they aren't getting rid of anything. The venues may change, that's what I mean. You can't base much off the app until the sailing commences. My point was I saw things before I embarked that conflicted. It was changed when the sailing commenced. That mix and mingle will not be the only one. There will be plenty of chances, as I stated there was something every night on my Allure sailing.

32 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Well, they aren't getting rid of anything. The venues may change, that's what I mean. You can't base much off the app until the sailing commences. My point was I saw things before I embarked that conflicted. It was changed when the sailing commenced. That mix and mingle will not be the only one. There will be plenty of chances, as I stated there was something every night on my Allure sailing.

I do hope you are right. But the discrimination I have endured so far with my B2B cruises…I don’t hold out a lot of hope 

I’m in the ‘straight but now narrow” category so cannot speak to what the meetings are like, but I saw multiples LGBTQA+ meetings on each sailing for the two cruises we just completed. I know some meet up’s for groups have changed as a result of covid, but the Friends of Bill, LGBTQA+, and Veteran’s self-led meetings were still listed on the Symphony and Allure 😊

30 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

I’m in the ‘straight but now narrow” category so cannot speak to what the meetings are like, but I saw multiples LGBTQA+ meetings on each sailing for the two cruises we just completed. I know some meet up’s for groups have changed as a result of covid, but the Friends of Bill, LGBTQA+, and Veteran’s self-led meetings were still listed on the Symphony and Allure 😊

Yes I see them listed for my second sailing on Oasis.  Jewel just happens to be a smaller ship.  Thanks for the info! 

In the past I have seen cards posted at guest services (I think it was guest services anyway, maybe it was the library) where people were organizing their own events - a card game, extra Friends of Bill meeting, etc. They were pre-printed by Royal, and you just filled in the what, when, and where details. 

45 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

In the past I have seen cards posted at guest services (I think it was guest services anyway, maybe it was the library) where people were organizing their own events - a card game, extra Friends of Bill meeting, etc. They were pre-printed by Royal, and you just filled in the what, when, and where details. 

Oh thats so cool.  So you fill them out and give them back to guest services and then how does the word get out, or do they post them somewhere?

4 hours ago, Jim D said:

Oh thats so cool.  So you fill them out and give them back to guest services and then how does the word get out, or do they post them somewhere?

I recall the cards were all posted together on a board or something. Anyone who walked by could look and see what was posted. Our first cruise back isn't for 80 more days, so hopefully they are still doing this.

5 hours ago, Jim D said:

I guess that just went over my head since I was talking about setting up more LGBT mix and mingle groups

With all the love in my heart, you are kinda needy.  People have been trying to provide some direction but sometimes the community doesn’t have the exact answer for which you are looking.  Sometimes you have to get on board & look around.  Take the initiative!  I’m sure if anyone gets more concrete information, they will post.

And sometimes these threads go off on little tangents.  The friends of Matt H was an aside and not meant to change the purpose of your original post.

4 minutes ago, Pooch said:

With all the love in my heart, you are kinda needy.  People have been trying to provide some direction but sometimes the community doesn’t have the exact answer for which you are looking.  Sometimes you have to get on board & look around.  Take the initiative!  I’m sure if anyone gets more concrete information, they will post.

And sometimes these threads go off on little tangents.  The friends of Matt H was an aside and not meant to change the purpose of your original post.

You are such a lovely person. With all the love in heart.  If you didn’t have constructive info on the content of the post you didn’t need to insult me.  And I have been taking the advice, like the cards you can fill out and having it posted on board.  I asked if anyone knew anyone onboard to contact in regards to this. Now you are the one that has changed the purpose of this post.  Happy cruising!  

They used to call the LGBTQ meetups Friends of Dorothy gatherings.

As for arranging meetups..ask at Guest Services what they can do or what they are offering on your sailing. I have seen the bulletin boards with cards before on the smaller ships such as Jewel. The larger ships will usually have dedicated meet up times in the Cruise Compass but these are self-led meet ups. The cruise staff doesn't organize anything other than printing a date, location and time and you may need to be proactive in approaching folks that show up at the specified place and time to see if they are looking for the same meet up.

I definitely think this is something you will have to do on board. You could call and speak to a rep but they will have little control over what happens on the ship. I would also imagine unless it is a chartered large group renting out spaces, they won't allow it until you board.  Even though Jewel is small, I am sure they will have, if not every night, at least 3 or 4nights of LGBT meet ups. Maybe you will have to wear certain things or go up to people to see if they are participating. But the whole point is to meet people, so it shouldn't be an issue.

6 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

They used to call the LGBTQ meetups Friends of Dorothy gatherings.

As for arranging meetups..ask at Guest Services what they can do or what they are offering on your sailing. I have seen the bulletin boards with cards before on the smaller ships such as Jewel. The larger ships will usually have dedicated meet up times in the Cruise Compass but these are self-led meet ups. The cruise staff doesn't organize anything other than printing a date, location and time and you may need to be proactive in approaching folks that show up at the specified place and time to see if they are looking for the same meet up.

Thank you. Contrary to popular belief.  I was just looking for suggestions like this.  I haven’t cruised in about 15 years, never solo and never on RCL. 

5 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I definitely think this is something you will have to do on board. You could call and speak to a rep but they will have little control over what happens on the ship. I would also imagine unless it is a chartered large group renting out spaces, they won't allow it until you board.  Even though Jewel is small, I am sure they will have, if not every night, at least 3 or 4nights of LGBT meet ups. Maybe you will have to wear certain things or go up to people to see if they are participating. But the whole point is to meet people, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you. Contrary to popular belief.  I was just looking for suggestions like this.  I haven’t cruised in about 15 years, never solo and never on RCL.   much appreciated 

18 hours ago, Jim D said:

Thank you. Contrary to popular belief.  I was just looking for suggestions like this.  I haven’t cruised in about 15 years, never solo and never on RCL. 

No problem. Just remember you're seeking a small subset of your fellow cruisers to begin with...and some of that subset may be in the same situation as you with being new to the environment and not knowing these meetups even happen! You should look through all the activities onboard and go to any that interest you and socialize with others with those shared interests. They typically have solo cruiser meetups listed as well. 

5 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

No problem. Just remember you're seeking a small subset of your fellow cruisers to begin with...and some of that subset may be in the same situation as you with being new to the environment and not knowing these meetups even happen! You should look through all the activities onboard and go to any that interest you and socialize with others with those shared interests. They typically have solo cruiser meetups listed as well. 

That was my thought as well. First time on RCL. And first cruise solo and first cruise at all in about 15 years. I’m just trying to meet other “like minded” folks.  I’m not trying to find a love match that lives half-way around the country or the world.  Just trying to meet new people.  I’m not exactly sure how this makes me needy? (not that you said that). I appreciate all the advice that people have been giving me.  I’m just trying to figure out what to expect!   Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...