I saw something disgusting last night, in the elevator.

A young gentleman, in his
 20s (I am guessing) not only couldn't manage to put his mask over his mouth or nose, but was sucking on his key card!  (I mean it was all the way in and out of his mouth, like a lollipop.)

I could only watch in horror, thinking about the poor unsuspecting staff member who may touch it next!  

If that guy doesn't care about his health, that is one thing, but to endanger an innocent person who may touch it and get sick (a cold or anything that can be passed by saliva) is another issue all together!  No hand sanitizer will help in this case! 😷🤧🤮🤢🤒

7 hours ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

It's certainly possible that the young gentleman has ASD which makes it difficult for him to wear a mask correctly or compells him to put things in his mouth. The behavior certainly sounds like he might.

Sure.  It doesn't make his germs any less potent.  But, let's believe he has an excuse for disgusting behavior.  Just beware that you have more to worry about than Covid.

45 minutes ago, CarolBCHonkanen said:

Sure.  It doesn't make his germs any less potent.  But, let's believe he has an excuse for disgusting behavior.  Just beware that you have more to worry about than Covid.

I know, so many germs!! I once saw a toddler sucking on its fingers and then it touched a door knob. So incredibly gross. Then the time the guy left the bathroom without washing his hands, heading back to the buffet - are you kidding me?!  I've even caught several colds from being out there - it was terrible. I now wear rubber gloves and a respirator everywhere I go then bath in Neosporin every evening when I get back to my house. Its the only way to be safe out there. Those germs will get ya if you aren't careful. Seriously, we are by design (immune-compromised excluded), able to wade through this filth. Wash your hands frequently, exercise, eat right, and live. You can't change the world or anyone else's behavior, so if close quarters with 1,000's isn't your thing, find another place to spend your time. But I will say, the less you expose yourself to germs the less capable your immune system becomes. Think of it this way, your friend in the elevator was doing you a favor by triggering an immune response, making you stronger and more capable of fighting off the next onslaught.  Cheers!!

5 minutes ago, VolantTraveler said:

I know, so many germs!! I once saw a toddler sucking on its fingers and then it touched a door knob. So incredibly gross. Then the time the guy left the bathroom without washing his hands, heading back to the buffet - are you kidding me?!  I've even caught several colds from being out there - it was terrible. I now wear rubber gloves and a respirator everywhere I go then bath in Neosporin every evening when I get back to my house. Its the only way to be safe out there. Those germs will get ya if you aren't careful. Seriously, we are by design (immune-compromised excluded), able to wade through this filth. Wash your hands frequently, exercise, eat right, and live. You can't change the world or anyone else's behavior, so if close quarters with 1,000's isn't your thing, find another place to spend your time. But I will say, the less you expose yourself to germs the less capable your immune system becomes. Think of it this way, your friend in the elevator was doing you a favor by triggering an immune response, making you stronger and more capable of fighting off the next onslaught.  Cheers!!

The issue is the danger the saliva ridden card is to the poor unsuspecting staff who regularly take our cards and don't have the luxury to wash, as we do, in between guests.

Laugh if you want.  People should pay attention and be more considerate to those around who are serving us.

I laugh too, knowing that the nieve young man will be riddled with the Herpes virus soon, if not already.  Too bad his parents didn't teach him better hygiene.  Girls beware!!!

3 hours ago, CarolBCHonkanen said:

the staff who regularly take our cards and don't have the luxury to wash, as we do, in between guests…….

that same staff may just just taken a massive poop and then not washed their hands before touching your card and then making your drink or serving you meal lol 

35 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Royal gives out small hand sanitizer.  I recommend carrying it and if you fork over your sea pass card or handle the menu, door knob, elevator button etc to use it.  Things many took for granted are now in the forefront of our minds.  I was always germ aware, so the actions of that person do not disturb me. 

Oh thank you so much for making us all aware!  I wonder what it takes to get people to actually read and understand what a post is actually about?!  Hmmmm ...  Amazing how quick people are to be insulting, instead of comprehending what a post actually says.

I think you are misunderstanding peoples replies and wrongly classing it as bullying.

The 1st reply simply suggests that we should NOT judge a book by its cover! In that the person involved may have underlying issues.

2nd reply points out that we need germs to build up our immune system. 

3rd reply points out that staff may also be an issue, lots of threads on here showing that cases of covid are higher in crew members on all ships.

Also staff should be wearing gloves when working and dealing with any passenger 

Now your replies are your opinions and that this person doesnt have underlying issues, has parents who didnt educate him properly and who in your own words will catch herpes and spread it around! 

Yet you call others bullies and insulting when none of the replies launched any personal attacks towards you? 

Ps Herpes (HSV -1) can be transmitted orally simply by giving your 80 year old grannie a kiss at xmas if the bacteria is present around the mouth ( cold sores ) 

On 11/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, CarolBCHonkanen said:

I saw something disgusting last night, in the elevator.

A young gentleman, in his
 20s (I am guessing) not only couldn't manage to put his mask over his mouth or nose, but was sucking on his key card!  (I mean it was all the way in and out of his mouth, like a lollipop.)

I could only watch in horror, thinking about the poor unsuspecting staff member who may touch it next!  

If that guy doesn't care about his health, that is one thing, but to endanger an innocent person who may touch it and get sick (a cold or anything that can be passed by saliva) is another issue all together!  No hand sanitizer will help in this case! 😷🤧🤮🤢🤒

I get your fundamental point, that there are germ risks out there that we might not suspect.  I also appreciate the points made by Ray  I tend to be judgmental, and Ray and others have reminded me that sometimes there are other reasons for strange or inappropriate behavior.  So both messages are valuable -- be an aware traveler, and also a compassionate one.   (And all of this applies on land.)

12 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

I get your fundamental point, that there are germ risks out there that we might not suspect.  I also appreciate the points made by Ray  I tend to be judgmental, and Ray and others have reminded me that sometimes there are other reasons for strange or inappropriate behavior.  So both messages are valuable -- be an aware traveler, and also a compassionate one.   (And all of this applies on land.)

You actually did NOT get the point of my post.  I am not concerned for myself.  I am concerned about the vulnerable servers/staff on the ship who are exposed to this type of inconsideration.

11 minutes ago, CarolBCHonkanen said:

You actually did NOT get the point of my post.  I am not concerned for myself.  I am concerned about the vulnerable servers/staff on the ship who are exposed to this type of inconsideration.

100 % agree

If you dont mind me asking what did the young man say when you approached him about his behaviour? 

Or the crew members when you reported this matter! 

I mean you just said you were concerned so im presuming concerned enough to do something about it while onboard not just wait until youre home then post on a forum. 

2 hours ago, WAYNO said:

, I will continue to wash my hands at every opportunity and otherwise take care of myself.

As 99% of people on here will also do! Myself included! 

Difference is if i see something onboard i will deal with it there not return home then post on forum and critise everyone who try to make valid points or critise the parents of those involed or say those involved will get herpes then accuse eveyone else of being a bully!