Transportation from Bayonne to La Guardia

Vbrandt

Hello, new to the site!

We are taking a cruise which ports at Bayonne and we need to fly back home to CA from La Guardia. We chose that airport instead of EWR because we are flying Southwest, all on points.

What are some other transportation options besides Uber/Lyft to get to the airport?

Disembarkation starts at 6AM (Sun) and we don’t fly home until 5:45pm so we were thinking of heading into Manhattan for a few hours then head to the airport.

TIA!

LaGuardia is one of my home airports...Uber/Lyft is your best bet. There are no air trains at this time and no direct trains to LaGuardia. Leave extra time for traffic - most days are a mess traffic wise and Sundays after the early morning are no joke. 

You can take an LIRR train from Penn Station to Jamaica or Woodside but you'd still need a Lyft/Uber/car service to the airport.

Uber is going to be the simplest, most convenient way. And probably the most expensive.

You can make your way to Manhattan, take a train, then Uber...but do you want to do all that with luggage? 

It's a shame SW pulled out of EWR, especially with the new terminal getting closer (Terminal A really is one of the worst in the country).

I was a fish out of water in Bayonne.  We had a high-end (read high-dollar) hotel there at the airport, but they were completely unwilling to help me with transportation suggestions, even to the ship.  "You'll have to google that yourself, sir".  My daughter on the west Coast ordered us an UBER.  If not for her bailing us out, I think I'd still be stuck in Metro New York City.  This I'm sure is quite normal if you're accustomed to the Northeast culture, but it's tough for a tourist from the West Coast.   

7 hours ago, ellcee said:

LaGuardia is one of my home airports...Uber/Lyft is your best bet. There are no air trains at this time and no direct trains to LaGuardia. Leave extra time for traffic - most days are a mess traffic wise and Sundays after the early morning are no joke. 

You can take an LIRR train from Penn Station to Jamaica or Woodside but you'd still need a Lyft/Uber/car service to the airport.

A friend of mine who lives in Manhattan suggested we Uber/Lyft to Grand Central station, check in our luggage at one of those luggage lock up things by the hour in Grand Central, go around Manhattan, come back to GC, then take a train to La Guardia. Are you saying there isn’t a train that will go directly there from GCS?

5 hours ago, XtremeGK said:

Uber is going to be the simplest, most convenient way. And probably the most expensive.

You can make your way to Manhattan, take a train, then Uber...but do you want to do all that with luggage? 

It's a shame SW pulled out of EWR, especially with the new terminal getting closer (Terminal A really is one of the worst in the country).

Yes! We really wish we could fly into EWR. We have family in Jersey for hat we will visit with for a few days before the cruise. So we will fly into La Guardia Rent a car, go to Jersey, then drop off the car to EWR take a shuttle/Uber to the port.

After Disembarking we were going to store our luggage in those store by the hour places maybe in Grabd Cebteal Station.

2 hours ago, Vbrandt said:

Are you saying there isn’t a train that will go directly there from GCS?

It's been awhile since I've been through LGA, but unless things have changed there aren't any train lines that run out there.  My admittedly dated recollection is that from Grand Central you'd take the 6 train to 125 St., then transfer to the M60 bus.  It's a bit of a PITA trip, and I'd much sooner just pay for the Lyft/Uber to get me out there.

From Grand Central you can take the #7 train to Queens.    Get off at any of the 3 stations I circled on the #7 line list of stops  and take an Uber/Lyft…it’s not far from LaGuardia (I circled the airport on the “street map”)

the #7 train is underground in Manhattan , and will go above ground in Queens.

your biggest difficulty will be getting the luggage up/down the stairs.   

40CBA56B-0F34-4C16-9895-AF24F1816D84.jpeg

80655EA9-D95A-499F-8151-98EC7B417336.jpeg

16 hours ago, Vbrandt said:

Are you saying there isn’t a train that will go directly there from GCS?

There is no train that goes directly to Laguardia. You can take an LIRR train/subway to somewhere nearby and Uber/Lyft.

If you can spare the extra $$ it's worth the Uber/Lyft for as far as you want to go. I wouldn't take the subway with all of that luggage if I didn't know the area (I do and I wouldn't). The LIRR is fine and an easier option but NOTHING goes to Laguardia.

We have a large number of rewards points with Southwest.   We live in the midwest and have to include air transportation costs in the total cruise cost.  Using points helps us reduce that cost.  SWA leaving EWR forces us to take Port Liberty off our list of possible departure ports.  The hassle of transit from LGA to Port Liberty just isn't worth it.

On 11/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, BrianAlt said:

As I’ve stated on other threads, you’ve unfortunately made a mistake flying into LGA. The time, hassle and cost will make flying on your favorite airline not worth it. 

When we priced out flights from CA to EWR it was going to be $1k round trip x4. $4k vs paying $5.50 in tax x4 for using points was a no-brainer.

12 hours ago, Vbrandt said:

When we priced out flights from CA to EWR it was going to be $1k round trip x4. $4k vs paying $5.50 in tax x4 for using points was a no-brainer.

Yikes. Where in CA? I'm a little bit surprised because there's a good bit of competition on the NYC-CA routes (especially EWR and JFK).

45 minutes ago, XtremeGK said:

Yikes. Where in CA? I'm a little bit surprised because there's a good bit of competition on the NYC-CA routes (especially EWR and JFK).

I live in NJ and find domestic flights out of EWR to generally be somewhat more expensive compared to LGA.  UA sort of has a monopoly there, so they can charge whatever they want.

50 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

I live in NJ and find domestic flights out of EWR to generally be somewhat more expensive compared to LGA.  UA sort of has a monopoly there, so they can charge whatever they want.

Yeah, more expensive than LGA...but $1k to CA just seems obscene, even for UA. I fly them quite often and can get to most CA airports for well under $500 RT, even on the premium transcon routes.

5 hours ago, Vbrandt said:

SF Bay Area. But this is also over Spring Break.

I know you said you're using points, so obviously that's your best bet there...but I'm stunned you can't JB or UA for under $300pp. A cursory look in March & April was almost all under that. Must be hitting the perfect (worst possible) days.