Labadee rumors

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Puerto Plata is a new stop that ships were scheduled to begin to call upon in the fall of 2021.  That was announced before the shutdown.  My first visit was supposed be in January 2022 but then Royal chartered that ship.  Other ships were supposed to go there in December.  My visit was not the very first Royal ship to make a call there but it was the first or second visit for that ship, at the time.  

As of now, it looks like there are only a two RC ships per month scheduled to stop there in January, February, and March, and all but one is an Oasis class ship. 

7 minutes ago, JT2 said:

Do you think that has anything to do with ships being scheduled at Labadee? With all the upcoming cruises having to alter away from there, that could change.

For sure, but until they actually start replacing Labadee with DR there's no precedent for it (I don't think?) Also, honestly, there is way more at play here than we know about as far as docking fees, COVID restrictions, and other logistics, so who knows?

On 12/14/2021 at 6:02 PM, b0o5h said:

What cruise are you doing in Feb? I am on Symphony Feb 5th and still haven't heard anything about Labadee. I don't want to go to Nassau either, went there on the Mariner in 2019 and I could do without, I would much rather go to Labadee since I have never been. Interested to see what happens, we already have a coco cay stop so I would think they won't add a second stop there.

I’m on the February 5th Symphony cruise also. They are still booking excursions in Labadee, not that it means anything.

Yes, we need to know what our itinerary will be on the Harmony Jan 23rd so we can book any excursions.  We pretty much KNOW Labadee is s 'no go' which will probably cause the entire itinerary to shift in some way or change altogether.  RCI surely must realize they are losing money by people not being able to book things like excursions.  How can we plan? Waiting until last few days before embarking doesn't work IOI. Just sayin'..

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I haven't even seen any recent mention of Labadee (or, Labadie in local parlance) on the Haitian news sites.

Other island nations with cruise limitations have had plenty of articles.

Exactly, its weird that there is zero news about Labadee in the media. 

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I guess my take on it is that I wouldn't expect there to be any news.  It's not in a populated part of Haiti, so it's really not Haitian news.  Royal is deciding not to go, so it's not being turned away by Haiti.  It's not really very interesting, from a news standpoint.

There are articles though on economic impact on Haiti, like an article in early 2020 talking about how over 700k people visited in 2019.

25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There are articles though on economic impact on Haiti, like an article in early 2020 talking about how over 700k people visited in 2019.

Yeah, but between the recent assassination and the recent natural disaster, is Royal not stopping by really much of a news story there?  I'm thinking not so much.

At some point the Haitian government is going to need the $8 per head they have been losing for months.

An Oasis class visit nets over $50k in head tax.  A Voyager class visit closer to $30+k.

The Haitian government loves money so at some point they'll be motivated to clean up and deal with any Haitians that are speculated to be squatting in Labadee.  

If the average ship visit generates $40k and the destination had a ship in port 80% of the month that's roughly $1M per month lost in just the per guest fee alone.

The Haitian government will soon want that income stream restored.

15 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yeah, but between the recent assassination and the recent natural disaster, is Royal not stopping by really much of a news story there?  I'm thinking not so much.

I agree. As far as US news media…if they can’t squeeze it into their ‘Covid! Cruising Bad! Covid! Cruising Bad! Covid!’ agenda, then it’s just not newsworthy.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the trip to the top of the hill for the Zipline being very scary.  You are transported in an open sided truck like cattle and then at some point it takes you outside of the Royal facility. IIRC, the gate is made of galvanized sheets. (I know, I should stop watching movies about abduction in foreign countries)

Now with the present situation, it is probably a hundred times scarier!

I am hoping Labadee is open by May.  We really don't want to go to Coco Cay again.  Not that is wasn't great, but it wasn't for us.  Granted we had a rather unpleasant experience with the weather, but that wasn't within Royal's control.  I get cold doing water related activities if the temperature is under 90 outside haha, so a November trip to the Bahamas wasn't gonna pleasant anyway.  Also, we like to go to new ports, and try to avoid repeats.

31 minutes ago, Flopper said:

I just want a Labadoozie, is that too much to ask?

Quick trip to the grocery and liquor store should take care of you! 

1/2 oz Orange Juice Concentrate
1/2 oz Pineapple Juice Concentrate
1/2 oz Papaya Juice Concentrate
1/2 oz Coconut Cream
3/4 oz Dark Rum
3/4 oz Coconut Rum
1/4 oz Grenadine
Crushed ice