Cell Phone & European Cruise Question

STB7481

Looking for some advice for an upcoming Mediterranean cruise. It will just be my wife and I, but since our kids will be at home we will need an option to remain in contact.  On-board that will not be an issue, I'm more curious about times we will be out on excursions.

Any insights on adding a temporary international plan to our phones or would an app like Whatsapp work instead?  We do have unlimited data plans which I *think* would still connect us to Whatsapp if we are off the ship without a Wifi connection.  We just need to have a method of communication for the unlikely event of an emergency.

Just curious what approaches others have taken.  Thanks!

38 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

CHeck your carrier. AT&T has $10 international day passes.

Verizon does also. That’s what I always use. Works perfectly. You have the ability to only activate when you’re off the ship. So it’s not even $10 every day. And if you’re strategic you can even activate one afternoon and be able to continue to use it the next morning. Good if you have a late port followed by an early one. 

57 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

CHeck your carrier. AT&T has $10 international day passes.

Yes, you can sign up once and you always have it. It works almost anywhere. I am actually on it right now in St Marten. It only charges you if you use it. 

Make sure you turn your phone back to Wi-Fi once you are on the ship.  We use what's app for texting (android).