Alaskan cruise - which stops have a town to just walk around?

Julie.a

I've only been on 2 cruises so far, but I absolutely love them.  We're going to Alaska in July, and I'm curious what the ports are like.  Our first cruise stopped in Key West, and you could just walk around, grab lunch, etc.  Other ports, like Nassau, where you really have to know where you want to go and get transportation into town.  

Of these ports, are any of them like Key West where you can just get off the ship and walk around with no real plan?

Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Victoria

Also, we have 2 boys - 11 and 14.  I'll take any recommendations for things that would be good for kids (dog sledding, gold mining, whale watching, etc).

Thank you!!

Skagway and Juneau, you can just walk around.

Victoria, not so much. Get a tour.

Sitka, don't know, never been.

When you are in Juneau, look into taking the helicopter tour that lands on the glacier. You can save a lot of money if you book through Coastal Helicopters, ours was $300pp instead of RC's $600pp. I am pretty sure this is that this is the same contractor that RC uses. The only thing you lose is the return to ship guarantee. We had the copter ride booked as early as possible and had hours to roam Juneau afterwards. I never felt like I would miss the ship. It is an very expensive excursion, but worth it. Your kids will love it if you can swing the money.