Internet - Black Friday deals

BarbT

We are a family of four cruising for the first time in April 2022 Jewel of the Seas. We have two teens that absolutely will not live without internet on their phones. My husband and I can do without. Any advice on which internet package to buy ? Are current Black Friday deals good or should we wait to buy the internet package ?

Current Back Friday deals on internet are the best I’ve seen in at least 6 months.  As the mom of 2 teenage boys, you need at least the Voom 2-device Surf and stream. Nothing worse than hearing bickering over whose turn it is to use it on vacation.  Depending on how often you or your husband want to check email, you may want to consider getting the 3 device package.  

44 minutes ago, STB7481 said:

A related question, do you sign in with a code to access?  My wife and I have an upcoming cruise and we don't think a 2 device plan is necessary as long as we can just use our own phones to log in when we need it.  Is that possible?

This is what we do on our cruises, we just get the one device plan and sign in on whoever’s phone is using it at the time.

1 hour ago, STB7481 said:

A related question, do you sign in with a code to access?  My wife and I have an upcoming cruise and we don't think a 2 device plan is necessary as long as we can just use our own phones to log in when we need it.  Is that possible?

I had a 1 device for myself on our last cruise.  I sometimes wanted to use it on my phone, sometimes on my iPad.  It was no problem to sign off, sign on depending on which device I wanted to use it on.  

6 minutes ago, Sapphire said:

Is surf+stream worth the extra money? 4 Device Surf + Stream 35$ per day and stream 23$ per day

It depends on what you want to do. If it's just texting and checking Facebook or simple news sites then Surf is fine. But if you want to stream/record videos (YouTube, Netflix, etc) you'll need Surf & Stream.

19 hours ago, STB7481 said:

My wife and I always share one login.  If I'm on and she logs in, it usually just kicks me off, rarely an issue though and I just log back in later.  We have usually have our two phones and an iPad between us and have never felt the need for more logins.

@codyh21I'm really happy to hear that you can share internet access amicably, but that is NOT the case for us !!  We did the "multiple device, single log-in" plan ONCE and it nearly ended our relationship !  LOL  Just kidding of course...but we found it extremely frustrating to share a log-in.  NEVER AGAIN.  First of all, whenever we are "relaxing" and online for whatever reason, we generally do this at the SAME time so it is virtually impossible to share a log-in.

For simplicity's sake I only purchase the DBP+Voom option anymore.  Sure, I could save a few bucks by using my free D+ days and then buying the plan on board on day 3 or later but it's too much of a hassle for me.  I would rather pay a little more and not have to worry about the internet plan once I'm onboard.  Having said all of that, I have not yet sailed since the start-up and there's a possibility that I MAY decide to try and skip the DBP since we both now receive 5 free beverages daily....but I haven't decided if THIS hassle is worth it or not so for now, I'm sticking with my DBP+Voom scheme.  Of course, all of this is prefaced by the fact that we may never sail again, but that's another issue altogether !

21 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

@codyh21I'm really happy to hear that you can share internet access amicably, but that is NOT the case for us !!  We did the "multiple device, single log-in" plan ONCE and it nearly ended our relationship !  LOL  Just kidding of course...but we found it extremely frustrating to share a log-in.  NEVER AGAIN.  First of all, whenever we are "relaxing" and online for whatever reason, we generally do this at the SAME time so it is virtually impossible to share a log-in.

I agree I got lucky on that account, definitely doesn't work for everyone.  I only use it a couple times a day so for the most part it's for my wife.  If I used it anymore than I do we'd definitely have to look at separate logins!

1 hour ago, miles4us2go said:

So, I am cruising with a friend. Do I buy 1 Voom, with two devices, or do I buy voom with one device for each person? (It's cheaper to buy 1 voom with 2 devices)?

Also, if you book voom with 2 device, can you cancel one device without canceling the entire order?

You can't cancel one device without canceling the entire order. You would have to cancel the 2 device and order a 1 device package.

As for sharing, a 2 device package means only 2 devices can be logged into an account at once. So if you are going to have phones, tablets and laptops connected there is a possibility you may boot each other off when switching between devices. If that won't cause an issue then it's more cost efficient to buy q 2 device package. 

You can book internet for 2 devices under one person. The surf will probably be all they need. I booked it for 1 device under 1 person and you can switch back and forth. I’m sharing it and you login and can just switch devices you’re connected to. The internet isn’t always the best. I had trouble with snapchat and Instagram, 2 apps your boys will probably be wanting to use

18 hours ago, Eggbert said:

The sales this week are such a bust for those of us who had had big itinerary changes last week. I have three new ports and zero excursions listed yet because of the changes.

Sadly I have seen better prices over the last year than I have in the last couple months Black Friday included.  It sucks they can't get the changes made sooner but I actually ended up doing an excursion booked through my travel agency vs through RCCL because it was cheaper when I was on my cruise earlier this month.  And I bought internet for 3 devices at around 15.00 per day and now the cheapest is around 35 per day for the same plan on my next two cruises.  For that I will do without.  

4 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

Sadly I have seen better prices over the last year than I have in the last couple months Black Friday included.  It sucks they can't get the changes made sooner but I actually ended up doing an excursion booked through my travel agency vs through RCCL because it was cheaper when I was on my cruise earlier this month.  And I bought internet for 3 devices at around 15.00 per day and now the cheapest is around 35 per day for the same plan on my next two cruises.  For that I will do without.  

We changed from Barbados and Antigua to St. Thomas, San Juan, and Coco Cay. We mostly do 3rd party tours, I just wanted to see what Royal was offering before I booked something else. Not much choice on Coco Cay so I was hoping to get a "sale price." We shall see.