The KEY (includes Wifi) vs Just Wifi

MoMan12

On my cruise planner with the black friday deals the key is $19.99/day, and surf and stream is $14.89/day. 

The Key includes the surf and stream, so it seems like it would only be additional $5/day for all of the other benefits.

Looks like a no brainer to go for the Key since i would buy the wifi anyways. Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, AHollyS said:

Are you a room service person? If you are that might be the tipping point. If you order three or four times you could be to the good with the Key. That is the only other incentive I see that would be a deal maker.

I fear the room service fee waiver was just a short term thing, to make up for the temporary loss of other perks. If they made it permanent I'd likely buy the Key regularly.

22 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Just know that if you're sailing with others, everyone in the stateroom must purchase The Key.

This is one of the main reasons we don't get it.  My wife and I easily split a single login for VOOM and don't have need for the other perks.

That said, if you were looking for two and enjoy the other perks then go for it!  While we don't get it, there clearly is a market for it.

14 hours ago, wozswoman said:

The room service and the additional 25% off food is NOT on the Key any longer at least not on the two cruises I have booked.  One in Feb and one in April.

Can anyone confirm this?  I just purchased The Key for a January 2022 cruise on Odyssey.  The price of The Key was decent compared to the 2 device VOOM.  Room service and 25% off specialty restaurants was what made me want to give The Key a try. 

I went online to see if I could find any mention of the 25% off/free room service and this is what I found.  NOTHING of what I was looking for, but got a chuckle out of the typical Royal IT double-talk.

"Online Only" shown in the top half of the ad and then "Check Onboard" down at the bottom.  So funny...not funny

image.png.f3b4a7fff13152c87d6e3bb409023dbc.png

19 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Can anyone confirm this?  I just purchased The Key for a January 2022 cruise on Odyssey.  The price of The Key was decent compared to the 2 device VOOM.  Room service and 25% off specialty restaurants was what made me want to give The Key a try. 

There was a post awhile back that stated the room service and 25% would be phased out after/during the Dec sailings as the priority boarding and Chops lunch came back. My understanding was that this was only for the people who purchased the Key with this option. So those who purchased it after the announcement was made, even though they might be sailing in Dec/Jan, would get the benefits listed in CP and not the 25% etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m on Anthem now…boarded Nov 28 with the Key. No room service or 25% dining discount. But Chops lunch was great. Carry-on drop off was easy. There was signage for the Key at the terminal entrance, but because there was no line at all when I arrived at 11:30, everyone was just being waved in. There is no early entry for the shows at the Royal Theater or Two70, doors open 45 mins pre-show and anyone with a reservation is welcomed. Key times for the Flow Rider and the Rock wall only. No Northstar or iFly. There is no priority disembarkation for early self-assist walk-off. Just have to stand in the regular line waiting for clearance after the ship arrives. Sit down Key breakfast and Choice Departure is offered and there is the Key luggage area in the customs hall.

23 hours ago, BrianB said:

No room service or 25% dining discount. But Chops lunch was great.

I got The Key for a January cruise on Odyssey that I paid $18 per person per day for 2 people during the Black Friday sale.  I was thinking free room service was included and maybe some preferred seating at the shows would have been nice.  I would like the two device VOOM package but we could get by with one device I suppose.  Unfortunately, a two device VOOM package now costs the same as what I paid for The Key for two people.   What exactly makes The Key worth it because I will probably keep The Key now since I won't save anything if I want VOOM for two devices???

17 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I got The Key for a January cruise on Odyssey that I paid $18 per person per day for 2 people during the Black Friday sale.  I was thinking free room service was included and maybe some preferred seating at the shows would have been nice.  I would like the two device VOOM package but we could get by with one device I suppose.  Unfortunately, a two device VOOM package now costs the same as The Key for two people.   What exactly makes The Key worth it because I will probably keep The Key now since I won't save anything if I want VOOM for two devices???

In my case…being solo it’s just one price, and one device is fine…I switch between my phone and iPad. Priority embarkation makes a big difference for me…I am pretty much guaranteed my specialty dining reservation times because I’m onboard early…plus the Chops lunch. Carry on drop off and delivery is convenient. But I don’t use the Flow Rider or Rock Wall reserved times. It makes sense for me to jump on a cheap Key price especially if it’s just a couple dollars more than getting WiFi for the cruise which I would get anyway.