Cruising during a pandemic - is it still safe and fun?

Remember that everyone is vaccinated on the ship - except kids who couldn’t get nuked yet (better rates than on land).  Most destinations have rules more stringent than the US, so you’re probably good.    Worst case scenario is you make the ship your destination and stay on board and relax for 7 days 🙂

I agree with everyone, we’ve done 2 cruises since August and have felt far safer on the ship than we do at some family gatherings.  For the most part the ship is a controlled environment and at least you know everyone is following the published protocols.

once you get off the ship, you’ll find yourself checking out peoples wrist for a vaccination band 🙂

Did Freedom late July after restart. Protocols in place made us feel safe. Did excursions in Nassau and Coco Cay and neither of us had any feelings of or got sick afterwards. Had lots of fun and it was great to be able to get away and take a break from all the Covid anxiety. Getting ready to go again on Symphony in a few days.

11 hours ago, wordell1 said:

Where else can you go where all adults are vaccinated and everyone is tested in the final 2 days before boarding?

We've had the "Are you crazy?" responses when we tell someone that we're going on a cruise in Dec.  But then we tell them exactly this....plus masks indoors and additional testing for unvaccinated kids under 12

I am on my fourth cruise post-COVID and I have felt very safe sailing.  (Allure in September, Freedom in October, Odyssey and Oasis in November.  On the Jewel next week)

As @twangster would have put it, "I HAVE BEEN very safe" while cruising.  I have done COVID self-tests and gotten PCR tests a few days after disembarkation and so far, so good.

I'm on the more conservative side when it comes to COVID protection - my mask is always on even in "vaccinated only" venues.  Except for the shows and the 70s party, I avoid going to places and events where I'll be very close to people.  The UDP lets me dine in less crowded spaces especially during the early dinner times.

I have been on six cruises so far…two in Sept, two in Oct and two in Nov…my next is in four days. I have felt very safe and comfortable onboard. Knowing every adult is vaccinated, along with the constant cleaning…the ventilation…masking policy…physical distancing protocols…I know I have less risk on the ship than on land when I’m in the general public. I also take my own reasonable precautions; use the stairs as much as possible, don’t squeeze into an elevator, always use the hand sanitizers, avoid crowding. To be honest, it’s almost the same mindset that I have on any cruise pre-pandemic…I cruise mostly over the winter months so I am always aware of respiratory viruses, Flu and Norovirus risks. All of my cruises so far have been to Florida/Bahamas so I haven’t been to the Caribbean yet. I have been off the ship meeting with friends in Florida…I always get off at CocoCay…but I did not get off in Nassau. Once the ship starts cruising to the Caribbean in December, I’ll probably stay aboard at most ports (been there, done that) and enjoy the quiet while most others are on their excursions. But, that’s what I did pre-pandemic anyway. Enjoy your cruise!

23 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on CDC data, only 0.2% of cruise passengers have tested positive on board since the restart.

…and since virtually all are vaccinated, virtually all have had minor or no symptoms. I have not seen any reports of onboard Covid cases taxing any ship medical facilities…and with the media microscope focusing on the industry, I’m pretty sure it would have been a major story.

5 minutes ago, BrianB said:

…and since virtually all are vaccinated, virtually all have had minor or no symptoms. I have not seen any reports of onboard Covid cases taxing any ship medical facilities…and with the media microscope focusing on the industry, I’m pretty sure it would have been a major story.

I believe it was only 3.5% of that 0.2% that ever needed hospitalization.

Most of those who test positive on board would otherwise never have suspected they had it.

There's simply no other form of travel/vacation right now that is safer than cruising in regards to covid

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I believe it was only 3.5% of that 0.2% that ever needed hospitalization.

Most of those who test positive on board would otherwise never have suspected they had it.

There's simply no other form of travel/vacation right now that is safer than cruising in regards to covid

…and to answer the question that will probably be asked…many who tested positive without any symptoms were tested because they were close contacts and/or members of the same travel party of someone who did have symptoms resulting in a positive test.

6 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

A lot of first time posters do that even though the box says "Title".  Maybe it would be better if it said "Subject" but I don't know if @Matt can change that part of the forums.

Any of the admins or the OP can change the title. I was going to suggest that this please be done.

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to Cruising during a pandemic - is it still safe and fun?

The cruise lines are fighting for their very survival.  They are presented with an ever-changing list of protocols, and in spite of their customers grumbling over every change, they must continue to do whatever is necessary.  I believe they are doing a good job.

My wife very recently cruised on Oasis.   She said everything about the entire cruise went smoother than on any other cruise.  The ship departed an hour later than originally scheduled, and folks bellyached, but again, they are doing the best they can in spite of the never ending changes placed upon them.  Already, our next cruise is impacted on allowable ports, and one change so far, has happened.  So be it. 

Agree with protocols or not, she said there was quite some comfort in seeing all the blue wrist bands, indicating folks were vaxxed and tested, and for the few younger folks that were not, they were kept completely separate from the masses.  The constant sanitizing also was comforting.

And yes,  she had fun.🎉

As others have stated this is the safest form of vacation right now. I also believe that it is one of the more fun as well. We did WDW and universal right before our cruise and the magic wasn't there. There was little character interaction, barely any shows and enough people who didn't care about protocols and rules, to make you feel unsafe.

I think the biggest thing to cruising during these times, is to have understanding and patience. Ports and itineraries will change, we are trying to visit these beautiful places but must remember they aren't as well off as others. So, we need to understand that they need to protect themselves in the long run. Unfortunately, mask is a thing, imho it is not as bad as you think. There will still be chances to laugh, dance, sing and mingle. 

19 minutes ago, baltodave said:

I agree with all the comments about being initially safe on ships since everyone is vaxed and tested.  Is there a concern with guests who get off at ports, exposed to the virus and then coming back on the ships?

Unless you go visit a crowded indoor venue with no ventilation, there should be no concern.

Totally comfortable with my first cruise back this last week.  I felt more safe on board than I have at any point at my job in the last two years.  On the 1st cruise for Navigator, I thought Royal did a great job of following guidelines.  We noticed a handful of people who were not willing to mask-up, but it was quickly addressed.

I am currently at Coco Cay finishing my 2nd cruise back  on Freedom at 80% capacity or so depending on who you ask.  We feel safe with the protocols but also make choices based on our comfort level. 

We have left a number of elevators when 10 plus people decide to crowd on ignoring the signs for five max.  Also about 80% mask inside while walking but not sure if the others are indifferent or ignorant of the protocols. 

Yes, I know it's safer than many other land options but people make the choice to cruise based on what the published protocols are. It would be great if everyone followed what we all signed on for. 

I will agree with pretty much everyone's reply. I just got off the Anthem OTS. My family and I felt very safe with the protocols. Cruising is different, but I will say that it is still fun. There are some few annoying portocol issues that RCL still needs to improve upon. As a parent that had to get my kids tested prior to boarding I would say that If RCL could play something entertaining on the screen that would of helped. I would also say that due to the wait for test results, I would come prepared with things to do and snacks to eat while waiting. At Bayonne, there were alot of hangry children including my own. I think next time I will make sure that our carry on has a snack  and something to keep the kiddos occupied while waiting. 

RCL also has really kept their ships clean. Every time I take the stairs I have seen the staff wiping down the railings.

The only time I felt uncomfortable was when a group decided that they just had to get on a pretty full elevator. I didn't mind the influx of people, but what I did mind was that the group decided to take off their mask as soon as their whole group entered the elevator. This really isn't an RCL issue, its more of a people issue.