Covid test upon Trans-Atlantic arrival in Southampton, England?

PandK

We are sailing on the Anthem of the Seas trans Atlantic cruise in May 2022. I realize that covid rules will probably be changing a few times before we sail.  My question is as of today, England is requiring the covid test within 2 days of arrival into their country.  Would Royal Caribbean be giving tests while on board (or at the Southampton arrival dock) just before the cruise ends in Southampton?  Or does anyone know of a place in Southampton to get the covid test done as we are planning on traveling in England for several days after the cruise drops us off.

Travel to England from another country during coronavirus (COVID-19) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Its within 2 days after, not before arrival, you have to have a test booked and paid for before arrival (links available in the link above). You also need to complete a Passenger locator form (PLF) 48 hours before arrival Fill in your passenger locator form - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

But May 2022 is a long way off and extremely likely this will all change.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 9:04 AM, PandK said:

We are sailing on the Anthem of the Seas trans Atlantic cruise in May 2022. I realize that covid rules will probably be changing a few times before we sail.  My question is as of today, England is requiring the covid test within 2 days of arrival into their country.  Would Royal Caribbean be giving tests while on board (or at the Southampton arrival dock) just before the cruise ends in Southampton?  Or does anyone know of a place in Southampton to get the covid test done as we are planning on traveling in England for several days after the cruise drops us off.

Most major UK airports have COVID testing centres which are open all hours, are bookable in advance (online), payable (online), and reasonably priced. They are open to the public including all travellers, not just airline passengers. So, if you're going to be anywhere near a major UK airport (e.g. Heathrow [LHR] or Gatwick [LGW]) during the two days after your arrival, why not book an appointment? Some centres are drive-in, as well as walk-in. Just google 'COVID testing UK', and you'll eventually find the right websites. What you'll need is a "Mandatory Day 2 PCR Test" to be taken before the end of Day 2 in England (your arrival day is Day 0).  

As regards Southampton, there's at least one convenient testing centre waiting for you: try this URL: https://www.dam-health.com/southampton/

Good luck! See you on Anthem! I'll be interested to hear how things worked out. (Though all the protocols will probably have changed by then!).

Cheers, Adrian 

• 4 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for Summer 22 cruises for US Citizens.  I have been tracking the June 17th on Anthem for my family of 4.  I have a FCC buring a hole in my pocket.  But no way I will book with current restrictions or even if UK will allow US citizens to cruise.  As of today, it appears a clean covid test is required before departure and then quarantine upon arival with a clean test required within 2 days of arrival.  The logistics and timing of having to have entire family tested upon arrival and then waiting for all clear prior to boarding seems to make this cruise out of question.

Rolled the dice and I booked air months ago when prices were very very reasonable in the hopes of making this cruise.  Still have time - hope things open up.  

4 hours ago, therealbigredrules said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for Summer 22 cruises for US Citizens.  I have been tracking the June 17th on Anthem for my family of 4.  I have a FCC buring a hole in my pocket.  But no way I will book with current restrictions or even if UK will allow US citizens to cruise.  As of today, it appears a clean covid test is required before departure and then quarantine upon arival with a clean test required within 2 days of arrival.  The logistics and timing of having to have entire family tested upon arrival and then waiting for all clear prior to boarding seems to make this cruise out of question.

Rolled the dice and I booked air months ago when prices were very very reasonable in the hopes of making this cruise.  Still have time - hope things open up.  

New restrictions are simply politics, either they or Boris will be gone come June!! Maybe both lol

23 minutes ago, Audrey V. said:

So as a US citizen planning to go on the Anthem transatlantic,  we booked a hotel for the first 7 nights in London which we can cancel by May 10th or so. Assuming all is well, we will figure it out from there. But, if we test positive, can we quarantine in Bristol or Southhampton? 

As things stand right now you dont even have to test positive to be sent into isolation.

If you come into close contact with someone who tests positive you must self isolate for 7 days in England 10 days in Scotland, if you take a test and it shows negative it means nothing you still got to see out your isolation days as do those you share a home with. A family of 4 could potentially have 28 consecutive days isolation in England and 40 in Scotland 

You will have to fill in a PLF form for entering the country, on this form you have to say where you are staying. As a tourist you may find you are told what hotels you have to isolate in! If you need to self isolate and wanted to stay with friends or family then they would also need to self isolate even though they have no symptoms or have had a negative test.

As mentioned previously its all politics right now as none of the above makes any sense and will change soon

7 hours ago, Ray said:

As things stand right now you dont even have to test positive to be sent into isolation.

If you come into close contact with someone who tests positive you must self isolate for 7 days in England 10 days in Scotland, if you take a test and it shows negative it means nothing you still got to see out your isolation days as do those you share a home with. A family of 4 could potentially have 28 consecutive days isolation in England and 40 in Scotland 

You will have to fill in a PLF form for entering the country, on this form you have to say where you are staying. As a tourist you may find you are told what hotels you have to isolate in! If you need to self isolate and wanted to stay with friends or family then they would also need to self isolate even though they have no symptoms or have had a negative test.

As mentioned previously its all politics right now as none of the above makes any sense and will change soon

Thanks for the info Ray.  The close contact issue is something I had not heard about yet  Just crazy.  .  

Just sad really.

16 hours ago, Ray said:

If you come into close contact with someone who tests positive you must self isolate for 7 days in England 10 days in Scotland, if you take a test and it shows negative it means nothing you still got to see out your isolation days as do those you share a home with.

Not sure that's correct in England, I believe this weeks rules are you can leave the home you share but should test every day

From the NHS website :-

When you do not need to self-isolate

If you live with or have been in contact with someone with COVID-19, you will not need to self-isolate if any of the following apply:

• you're fully vaccinated – this means 14 days have passed since your final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine
  • you're under 18 years and 6 months old
  • you're taking part or have taken part in an approved COVID-19 vaccine trial
  • you're not able to get vaccinated for medical reasons

Even if you do not have symptoms, you're strongly advised to:

• do daily rapid lateral flow tests (1 a day for 7 days), if you’re fully vaccinated, to protect yourself and others from COVID-19

There's every chance this will change a number of times before your trip

Good info. We are currently nomadic, and had postponed Europe during Covid. I think I will speak to my husband about changing our first stay in Britain to someplace quiet, in the event we have to isolate post cruise. We are both vaccinated and bolstered, so not sure what we will have to do by May 13th, but perhaps a quiet stay for our first week out, instead of London. For some reason,  Bristol is still in my thoughts.  

Any suggestions of a small town to consider?

16 hours ago, Audrey V. said:

Good info. We are currently nomadic, and had postponed Europe during Covid. I think I will speak to my husband about changing our first stay in Britain to someplace quiet, in the event we have to isolate post cruise. We are both vaccinated and bolstered, so not sure what we will have to do by May 13th, but perhaps a quiet stay for our first week out, instead of London. For some reason,  Bristol is still in my thoughts.  

Any suggestions of a small town to consider?

Not sure if you have been to London before if you havent then you will regret not staying there.

Book a hotel with pay at hotel and cancellation a few days before you arrive and another somewhere else with the same, then cancel whichever you decide against

We have been to London before. Since we are planning a six month trip and being in the British Isles for a few months to meet Schengan rules, I meant that we could start somewhere where socially distancing is really easy in the event we need to isolate and then go to London later into the summer. 

• 1 month later...

Bump.  Looks like protocols may have changed some.  If understand correctly - US / foreign travelers to UK do not have to quarantine upon arrival?  This was a big sticking point as flight time and itinerary would have made the cruise, we are looking at most likely out of the question.

Even after reviewing UK gov site, still not completely clear on current requirements.

Will be curious to see if RCCL offers more detailed process / procedures to ensure compliance and process is met for their guests traveling from US...

Stil have my eye on June 17th out of Southampton for family of 4.   Hopefully things open up even more and make this a possibility.  

Anyone else on this cruise??  Nothing showing up on roll call section yet.

Welcome anyone's input as we learn more.