Drinking package

The drink package is something that in my opinion requires a lot of drinking to really break even.  If the prospect of drinking 6-8 drinks per day sounds okay to you, then do it.  Otherwise, you are probably better off saving your money and buying your drinks a la carte.

Don't forget port days, where when you are off the ship most of the day you lose time to drink back onboard.

Also on a 3 night cruise in August and playing around with the package.

It will depend for me on whether I can buy it on morning of day two or not :)

Embarkation day I rarely drink significantly since we are usually exploring the ship, unpacking, etc. So paying $55 for limited drinking on day one doesn't work for me, plus it gives us a chance to use the BOGO coupons first night.

Day 2 is Nassau and we probably wont leave the ship, Day 3 is CocoCay and package counts so day 2 and day 3 will probably be worth it, if I have to buy day 1, I will give it a miss :)

Our kids will be 17 and 15 when we cruise next year. I'm thinking one of the non-alcoholic drink packages may be in order - but I really have no idea what the packages cost or what sodas cost purchased a la carte.

More info on the drink packages: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-beverage-packages

Soda package is pretty cheap $5-6 a day depending on age I think? So if they are soda drinkers that might be worth it.

If they have the freestyle machines on your cruise you can also get flavored Dasani water instead of soda so it doesn't have to be an unhealthy drink choice :)

The package for about $20 a day I believe adds the frozen "virgin" cocktails to the package as an additional option if they would be into that.

Pretty sure the package is ONLY on cruises 4 days or longer.

Never a question if worth it in my case.

It's very easy to go through a few drinks even before supper. Plus drinks on the island are included in the pass as well.

At $5-9 drink plus tips, doesnt take long to add up.  Plus it includes your soda's etc as well.

It depends on the individual, and cruise.  In my case, on my last Oasis cruise, with so many sea days I probably should have sprung for a package.  Our next cruise is port intensive, so I'll be off ship most days, and likely won't be worth the cost.

I'm also now a Diamond member, so there are three free drinks per day between 5-8:30pm put on my card that can be used in many locations (not dining room though), so that's another consideration...

There's no "one size fits all" to the "worth it?" question. 

I have read that it's now 3-night cruises too but haven't been able to confirm it 

I will be very happy to know if this is the case. Please let me know if you find anything confirming it. I have not looked at a 3 day cruise based on this. Would open up the possibility of me booking a 3 day.

I didnt understand why they dont offer it on a 3 day. If it makes them $ on a 4day and longer, why wouldnt it on a 3 day. Perhaps cause they are more considered "party" weekend cruises and people tend to drink more or a younger crowd?

I could see not offering it on a 1 day cruise...but a 3 day and up should be a option!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I saw a post, but cant find it now, talking about Starbucks. Has anyone been on with a royal replenish or ultimate package to find out if they fall under their definition of 'specialty coffee'? I'm so gonna get my moneys worth on Navigator if so. Muahaha!

I thought I saw a post, but cant find it now, talking about Starbucks. Has anyone been on with a royal replenish or ultimate package to find out if they fall under their definition of 'specialty coffee'? I'm so gonna get my moneys worth on Navigator if so. Muahaha!

On Navigator Starbucks was included in Royal Replenish package back in Feb

On Navigator Starbucks was included in Royal Replenish package back in Feb

You just made my day sir. $20 a day is a steal if you like Starbucks. Ok well its a pretty good price i think for what you get already with the Royal Replienish, the Starbucks just makes it a crazy good deal.

• 2 months later...

I have rulled out the alcohol packages, I just don't think I would get my moneys worth without drinking the entire cruise. I have been debating the Royal Replenish package. I am not much of a soda drinker, but I drink water all day long. The replenish says it offers bottled water. Can someone that has purchased this package tell me the pros and cons. Looks like it will cost $306 for the two of us to have this package. Will it be worth it. What are your drink options without a package?

Can someone that has purchased this package tell me the pros and cons. Looks like it will cost $306 for the two of us to have this package. Will it be worth it. What are your drink options without a package?

The Royal Replenish package is a pretty good deal if you want to drink juices, bottled water, etc every day.  Just like the alcohol package, it can be a good deal if you have a few non-alcoholic drinks per day.  It's certainly easier to "break even" on this package.

My husband and I will be getting the Premium Drink Package on Quantum. 

The amount is about what we spend on our bar bill but there is one big advantage we are looking forward to;  We are going to try all kinds of different cocktails that we would not normally try because I hate to spend good money on a drink I may not like.  It's going to fun finding new drinks that we like.

The only real difference between buy ahead and buy onboard is whether you charge your credit card now or have On Board Credit to use to offset the cost when on board.

Potentially if there were a price increase/decrease between now and your sail date you might benefit/or not from todays price booked and paid vs. a higher future price but who knows.

I've only experienced the machines on Freedom and Quantum and they were pretty much full. 

You've been on Quantum already? Lucky you! ;)

BTW, now that Oasis is heading off to Europe, I wonder what they're going to do with the Freestyle machines. I would assume that they have enough refills for it to last a few weeks of sailings before she returns to the US. I think that this may be the first time that Freestyle machines will have been on a cruise ship in Europe.

You've been on Quantum already? Lucky you! ;)

BTW, now that Oasis is heading off to Europe, I wonder what they're going to do with the Freestyle machines. I would assume that they have enough refills for it to last a few weeks of sailings before she returns to the US. I think that this may be the first time that Freestyle machines will have been on a cruise ship in Europe.

:lol: Sorry I meant Oasis. I've got Quantum on my brain

It's a good question.  RC has told me Freestyle machines are limited to US only for maintenance reasons so it would make sense they would remove them or temporarily put them away.

Just got off Navigator this morning. Debated long and hard beforehand, and decided to go with the Premium Package ($55 per person/per day). There's no way I will do this again. Even at $6-9 per drink, and $4.75 per beer, there noooo way I got my money's worth. There were quite a few times when my wife and I were sitting at a bar having drinks simply because there would be no charge. If I were to add up all the drinks we really, really wanted, it wouldn't be half of the $770 I paid. As far as the "Royal Replenish" for $20 per person/per day, here's the skinny,, soft drinks in the dining room and Windjammer were free anyway, as were quite a few that I saw poured at bars. So for $140 (7x $20 per person/per day), you get a souvenir Coke cup, and "free" Coke. People, that's $280 for a couple,, to drink Coke for a week. Make your own decision, but unless you plan on doing nothing but drinking all day, and not getting off the ship at the destination ports, I suggest not getting ANY beverage packages, and just pay the tab at the end. Just one mans opinion.

For us it depends a lot on the itinerary and who we are with.

On Allure we had a Western itinerary, from memory we had 3 sea days + Labadee and for Falmouth planned to stay onboard so we had 5 "drinking" days. We held off on buying the first night so we only paid for a 6 day package anyway, so basically on 5 of the 6 days had a shot at drinking enough to make it work.

Basically thought we broke even on the deal but we enjoyed the ability to "try" drinks we usually wouldn't pay for.

On Vision we had day one, 2 sea days and Cozumel. Ordinarily wouldn't have bought the package but we were doing a first time cruise with friends that border on alcoholic so we went ahead and bought it. Came out way ahead on the deal after spending most nights parked at a bar doing shots, etc.

Will be on Indy for Thanksgiving with my family and wont even think about buying the package, different group of people, most likely to be a couple of beers a day if that so no sense forking out for it.

Like I said the value of the package for us is heavily dependent on who we are with and what the itinerary is, but our default setting is "not worth it".

As far as the "Royal Replenish" for $20 per person/per day, here's the skinny,, soft drinks in the dining room and Windjammer were free anyway, as were quite a few that I saw poured at bars. So for $140 (7x $20 per person/per day), you get a souvenir Coke cup, and "free" Coke. People, that's $280 for a couple,, to drink Coke for a week. Make your own decision, but unless you plan on doing nothing but drinking all day, and not getting off the ship at the destination ports, I suggest not getting ANY beverage packages, and just pay the tab at the end. Just one mans opinion.

I agree with your conclusion, but to clarify: we bought the Royal Replenesh package because it includes virtually all non-alcoholic drinks (bottled water, sparkling water, all Starbucks drinks, non-alcoholic bar drinks, coke, etc.) not just coke.

We drink a lot of bottled water and I found it a hassle to stop at a bar many times during the day to buy a water and wait for the server to print a ticket for us to sign every time. I also found myself drinking drinks that I really didn't need just because I had the package. You really must drink early and often every day just to break even on the packages.

Next time I would have a case of water delivered to our cabin and pay for any other drinks as we go. I would save a lot of money that way. You still have an opportunity to buy the souvenir cups for $5 each (6 for $25) near the end of the cruise.