lost baggage

Hi can anyone help me hear I was on a cruise recently where my baggage was lost by the airline and we ended up on the cruise and having to wear the same clothes for the full duration  of the cruise seven nights 

Has this happened to anyone before and how much compensation did you receive from Royal Caribbean as I feel the $100 I got for onboard purchases was not enough our cruise was a disaster from start to finish 

P.S. We are both Diamond Plus members of the Crown and Anchor Society  

100 obc was a very nice gesture from RC considering your lost baggage had nothing to do with them. 

Airlines are responsible for lost luggage and if they cannot get your luggage to you same day then you can buy new clothes, toiletries etc up to set amount and then invoice airline, Its all in black and white in T&Cs also travel insurance would have covered this. 

I think the OP's question is relevant.  I just read the travel protection fine print, if a person purchased this, and lost luggage is indeed covered.   And the coverage is far higher than the OP received. 

The caveat remains however,  is where the luggage was lost, and to what part of the trip is luggage covered.  Reading my Royal Caribbean Travel Policy, It does not specifically say lost onboard, or lost at any other part of travel.  It is called Travel protection, and not cruise protection. 

Bottom line... If you have travel protection, or even if you don't, you should know what benefits they provide, where they provide them,  when they'll provide them, and you should already have contingency plans.  Lost luggage can severely curtail a vacation.  The folks within driving distance of cruise terminals are lucky.  They remain in possession of their belongings until they reach the pier... The rest of us, who often require a full travel day, and cover 3 or more time zones with multiple connections and even a motel the night before boarding must take care of ourselves.  I travel early, and I don't pack 100% of anything in just one bag.  I know if I have to depend on anybody else, I'm ripe to be stood up.

9 hours ago, James Stewart said:

Hi can anyone help me hear I was on a cruise recently where my baggage was lost by the airline and we ended up on the cruise and having to wear the same clothes for the full duration  of the cruise seven nights 

Has this happened to anyone before and how much compensation did you receive from Royal Caribbean as I feel the $100 I got for onboard purchases was not enough our cruise was a disaster from start to finish 

So the airline lost your luggage but because you are diamond plus you believe Royal owes you some type of compensation?  That isn't how this works.

The DOT does have rules in place covering delayed or lost luggage and your varies because there is a difference between delay luggage and lost luggage.  

My question is has the airline found your luggage and returned it to you?  If they have found your luggage you can file a claim for delayed luggage delivery and the airline has to reimburse you for reasonable verifiable purchases you had to make as a result (meaning you must have the original receipts for anything purchased like clothes, underwear, toiletries, shoes ECT).

If the airline truly lost your luggage you still have to file a claim and they must reimburse you for the contents of your luggage minus depreciation.  The maximum amount of compensation set by the DOT per lost bag is $3,800 dollars.

https://www.transportation.gov/lost-delayed-or-damaged-baggage

I'm sorry your cruise was ruined but Royal Caribbean does not owe you a dime.

57 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

The DOT does have rules in place covering delayed or lost luggage and your varies because there is a difference between delay luggage and lost luggage.  

You are probably correct in your assumption that it was US but OG poster doesnt actually say where they cruised from! Flight could have been Bristol to Barcelona with Wizz Air which would mean different rules apply. 

We once had one of our bags delayed (went to wrong airport) for  2-3 days.  The airline covered the cost of everything we had to buy.  I also learned that you do not pack one persons clothes in one bag, and the other person in different bag.  As all of my clothes were delayed, none of my husbands.  I now mix clothes in the suitcases, and put outfits and shoes together.  That way we both have some clothes, that even go together.   

I also carry on all my bags onto the cruise ship.  It is a hassle but at least you have them.  Plus cruise line has broken several wheels on my bags in the past, that they do not replace or cover in insurance.  

Packing like you suggest is a really good idea. In all our travels, we've not lost or had a bag delayed yet (knock on wood). My bags have taken a beating. Maybe 6 or so years ago I bought a set of Samsonite Soft Sided Spinner luggage. It's as light (the material has carbon fibers interwoven) as the hard sided stuff. It was expensive but aside from one of the zipper pulls coming off (easily replaced) it has held up remarkably well considering what beatings bags go through. I also prefer the durability of soft sided luggage. When the light weight, hard sided luggage first came out, I tried it and in about 6 months I had holes/tears in the sides. I 've found the low cost stuff you find all over that the frames break down and they just doesn't last but maybe a couple of years if you travel a lot on an annual basis. IOW, you get what you pay for. But thanks for that great packing tip. Never thought of it.  

Packing a little of everybody’s stuff in each bag is like Packing 101.  I’ve never packed any other way 🤷‍♀️.  We went to Oakland California. Our bags went to Seattle.  Arrived late the next day and delivered to our hotel.  We each had  2 days worth of clothes in our carry ons expressly for this situation.  No reason not to have something besides the clothes on your back.

5 hours ago, JeffB said:

Packing like you suggest is a really good idea. In all our travels, we've not lost or had a bag delayed yet (knock on wood). My bags have taken a beating. Maybe 6 or so years ago I bought a set of Samsonite Soft Sided Spinner luggage. It's as light (the material has carbon fibers interwoven) as the hard sided stuff. It was expensive but aside from one of the zipper pulls coming off (easily replaced) it has held up remarkably well considering what beatings bags go through. I also prefer the durability of soft sided luggage. When the light weight, hard sided luggage first came out, I tried it and in about 6 months I had holes/tears in the sides. I 've found the low cost stuff you find all over that the frames break down and they just doesn't last but maybe a couple of years if you travel a lot on an annual basis. IOW, you get what you pay for. But thanks for that great packing tip. Never thought of it.  

I usually do not buy inexpensive  off-brand baggage.   Most is Samsonite.  I use hard sided and soft sided.  Have about 10 nice pieces right now.   The ones I was losing wheels off of were the  large bags.  Just too heavy for me now anyway.   And boy do I like wheeled luggage.  In the old days going to Europe with no wheels and 70 lb luggage bags!   yikes.  Can't do that now. Medium luggage sizes about 35 pounds is tops for me.  We travel quite a bit for just vacations.  I live in Montana and always visit many airports to get where I am going.  haha

On 11/21/2021 at 5:41 AM, James Stewart said:

We lost bags in New Zealand and here is what we did, keeping in mind that we had insurance through Allianz as the final resolution post-cruise.  

1. Filed claim with airline at airport when no bags found.  NZ gave us $$ for "essentials" which surprised us.

2. Having flown in a day early, notified our hotel to stand by for late luggage delivery.  No luck with that but bought some items pre-cruise

3.  At check in, talked to Customer Service who put a "team" on alert to work with airlines.  Meanwhile, our TA was working behind the scenes to track down bags.  Apparently American Airlines lost them in Los Angeles when we connected to Air Tahiti Nui.

4.  While talking to Customer Service, Royal provided each of us a little bag of toiletries that contained a T-shirt, and they also gave us a coupon for free wash and fold.

5.  We notified the Diamond Club concierge who assured us we could attend the first formal night in MDR with our current clothes -- no problem.  We had a few items in our carryon, like a clean shirt and underwear.

6.  On our 3rd day into the cruise, Royal's staff finally got our bags, which had arrived late in NZ and were forwarded by the airline to one of our port calls.

7.  Upon returning home, we filed our claim for delayed baggage and were reimbursed for out of pocket expenses on/off ship.

8.  So we didn't receive any OBC from Royal, but they worked with airlines to find our luggage. That effort plus their understanding attitude helped us greatly.

9.  I always travel wearing long pants and a light sport coat on Day 1 and follow some of the other packing guidelines explained in the other posts--Just in case. 

18 hours ago, WAYNO said:

The question remains however,  is where the luggage was lost.  It does not specifically say lost onboard, or lost at any other part of travel.

The OP specifically said the luggage was lost by the airline. There was no mention of travel insurance either.

8 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Looks like OP didn’t care for the answers or we got a troll!

So I don't have to feel bad Hyjacking post to add other packing tips 🤣 

ever since i watched a bag take a suicide leap off the lugage cart into the water I have used waterproof packing cubes , I'm sure the cruise line did a wash and dry for them but thats no way to start a cruise 

1 hour ago, SPS said:

The OP specifically said the luggage was lost by the airline. There was no mention of travel insurance either.

Yes, we know it was lost by the airline.  The question was in the context of a travel policy, if it covers luggage during the entire trip, or only while it was in possession of the ship.  No, there was no mention of if there was or was not  travel insurance, but I suspect there is more to this story.   I cannot imagine a passenger expecting help from the cruise line if travel insurance was not purchased from them.  Only questions... Trying to connect the dots.

1 hour ago, SPS said:

I hope @JamesStewart (I don’t know how to get that @ and shading bubble) finds the courage to come back to this topic to defend his original statements.  I would probably be frightened away by some of the comments he (or she) has received here.  I recall a recent comment by someone being nervous to say something for fear of reactions and Matt answered that we are here to support each other.  I’m not sure all of the comments above would be considered “supportive”.   I get that the original comment leaves us wondering about things but in all fairness to the originator of this topic we should ask for further information before jumping to conclusions…just my humble opinion.

lol I remember when I first joined this message board and stated my opinion about something…I received a few not so nice responses and actually contemplated not continuing with this blogging.  I am glad I chose to continue because I have learned so much.  This is the first time I am expressing how I felt after that…what I felt was a public shaming for my opinion about something !  And perhaps I will get some negative responses today too but I just wanted to point out that we are here to help each other…not make anyone feel bad about themselves.

Thank you for your insights…knowledge…and recommendations.  And thank you for listening.World Kindness Day GIF by Kindness Wins

• 1 month later...

Hi to everyone 

just to let you all know I have received my compensation from Royal Caribbean to my satisfaction  it did take many phone calls  and although Royal booked the flights and I did have insurance cover they did pay me compensation for the lost luggage 

My wife and I will be cruising TA on Wonder of the seas and first Med cruise this year and we hope we do not have any problems like we did oh Harmony of the seas that was our 24th cruise with Royal and was certainly the worst cruise we have had to date 

Thanks to everyone for there comments