Jewel of the Seas - 8 day 11/20/21

theSEAiscalling

It's our first cruise back, so we want to share our experience post covid! 

Details: It's my husband and I cruising and we're in a balcony cabin. We have the soda package only (and the coffee card). 

We've booked specialty dining and RC exursions and we're planning to explore on our own in ports too. So come along... The sea is calling! 

Day 1 - Miami Cruise Terminal seems much easier to access than Fort Lauderdale. Took us 15 minutes to get from our downtown Miami hotel to literally walking in to check in. We were scheduled for a 12pm arrival but got here around 11:15am and they let us in. 

First check was for vax cards and negative tests. We just showed neg test email on phone (had 1hr rapid antigen tests done in our home state at Walgreens on Thursday) and physical vax cards. Then headed to security/ carry-on baggage screening. (Porters had already taken most of our bags from the taxi) Then onto official check in, passport scans, photo, etc.

Made it the Windjammer for lunch by 12pm. Food was good (some stuff could have used more salt/seasoning but that's a preference & easily remedied) WJ was pretty full but not as crazy as we've seen on embarkation day. Crew is serving at stations and it's a little clumsy but they're friendly and trying. 

Rooms were ready by 2pm. Our room is clean but does appear to be a little beat up. Cubbies in the bathroom are scratched/water damaged; drawers @ the vanity don't slide very easily. But honestly, for us thats not a huge deal. The Jewel is an older ship so we figured it would have some wear. 

For now we're waiting to actually sail at 5pm and then tonight is probably just dinner in the MDR and unpacking. Headed to Nassau tmrw and we have an early morning excursion. 

Stay tuned! 

20211120_113934.jpg

20211120_112128.jpg

20211120_122409.jpg

20211120_152444.jpg

20211120_142948.jpg

13 hours ago, Kris816 said:

Looking forward to your blog! I’ll be leaving on the Jewel with the same itinerary on December 4th. If possible, could you take a photo of the showtimes flyer that you are usually given when you board? I am curious about the shows and showtimes for the week. Thanks!! 

I will absolutely look for you. I do know that the West end to Broadway show isn't happening this week because I was excited for it and it's not on the cruise planner. I will say that a lot of stuff has gone to the app (check in/muster /reservations) and it's very easy to view all the activities for each day there.

Day 2 - Bahamas! 

We're headed to Blue Lagoon to swim with stingrays this AM! Weather is beautiful! 80-ish and sunny. After all the Miami rain it's a nice change. We booked this excursion through RC and I think it was a great deal. $60 per adult and includes the stingray swim as well as use of water sports/beach. I'll update later how it all went! 

Dinner at the MDR last night was good. Not great, but waitstaff was friendly. Tables are very close together like pre-covid. Just makes it a little tough to have a romantic dinner (since it's just the 2 of us) but if you're looking for conversation with fellow partners it's a great time for that. I can't stress enough... If you have My Time dining, MAKE RESERVATIONS! The line was super long for people without them but we walked right up and were seated within a few minutes. We were wait-listed for the late dining while we were booking but we were able to make reservations for each night at 8pm, which is what we wanted anyway. 

In regards to the soda package, we bought it because we drink sparkling water most of the time and didn't want to pay for each bottle/can the whole trip. The only Freestyle machines are in the Windjammer. So when it's closed, you're out of luck. Not too happy about that. They should really be in a 24hr accessible area. That being said, all bars have club soda which is close enough for us. Bigger ships likely don't have this issue since they have more machines.

The WJ is officially open for dinner for our cruise! I know a lot of people are hoping to hear that more and more, so it looks like we're on our way back to higher capacities. It could also be that this is a Thanksgiving cruise and they booked higher than normal at the moment to accommodate as much extra holiday money as they could. The ship doesn't feel full but it's definitely not empty. Still waiting to get a head count but, I'll update when I can.

Chops Grille for dinner tonight, looking forward to it! 

Edited by theSEAiscalling

Day 3 and Day 4 AM-

Yesterday was our first full day at sea! We slept in and had a late breakfast. WJ has been decent, but there doesn't seem to be much variety from day to day particularly for breakfast. 

We spent the afternoon in the Solarium, which was so relaxing. Got an official count of about 1750 guests, which I believe is about 75-80%! So the ship is definitely fuller than the last few capacity reports that I could find. We were able to find 2 pool chairs pretty easily but I think we got lucky with timing because a lot of people came through in the afternoon and didn't have any luck since they were all taken. 

The shows and activities seem to be changing in the calendar day to day. So just stay on your toes if you're planning to do something. They swapped shows a few nights already and added/subtracted activities multiple times. I haven't been able to find a show listing for the entire cruise (I know someone asked) I think that is related to the fact that the shows aren't really set in stone.

Last night was formal night but it looked like semi formal at best (at least for the late dinner seating) We saw plenty of jeans and more casual looks, which is kind of a bummer for us. We like dressing up, but I know some people out there will love the relaxed rules for dressing. 

We sailed into Puerto Rico this morning and were off to the Citadel and for a walk around Old Town San Juan! No booked excursions today, just on our own time and feet! 

20211123_102121.jpg

Day 4- Puerto Rico 

We caught a cab right outside the port up to El Morro. Our plan was to see the fort and then meander back down through Old San Juan. Which worked out perfectly. We were able to stop at see some sights along our way back. And we found some great food at a place called Vaca Brava. 

The hubs and I are absolute foodies so we always look for authentic, regional food and this place didn't disappoint. 

Speaking of food, I forgot to mention how Chops Grille was the other night. It definitely was worth every penny. If you have a foodie heart, I would absolutely recommend buying at least one specialty dining night if not a package with several. 

Back to Old San Juan... Lots of little shops for souvenirs and local wares. Everyone seems friendly and the area felt safe. The ship is here until 830pm but I think we're going to head back to ship by about 6pm. Lots of sun and almost 90° has worn us out a bit! 

St Marteen tmrw! 

IMG_20211123_155733_409.jpg

IMG_20211123_155812_863.jpg

IMG_20211123_154224_164.jpg

IMG_20211123_155601_339.jpg

20211123_154223.jpg

20211123_154858.jpg

5 hours ago, theSEAiscalling said:

Day 3 and Day 4 AM-

Yesterday was our first full day at sea! We slept in and had a late breakfast. WJ has been decent, but there doesn't seem to be much variety from day to day particularly for breakfast. 

We spent the afternoon in the Solarium, which was so relaxing. Got an official count of about 1750 guests, which I believe is about 75-80%! So the ship is definitely fuller than the last few capacity reports that I could find. We were able to find 2 pool chairs pretty easily but I think we got lucky with timing because a lot of people came through in the afternoon and didn't have any luck since they were all taken. 

The shows and activities seem to be changing in the calendar day to day. So just stay on your toes if you're planning to do something. They swapped shows a few nights already and added/subtracted activities multiple times. I haven't been able to find a show listing for the entire cruise (I know someone asked) I think that is related to the fact that the shows aren't really set in stone.

Last night was formal night but it looked like semi formal at best (at least for the late dinner seating) We saw plenty of jeans and more casual looks, which is kind of a bummer for us. We like dressing up, but I know some people out there will love the relaxed rules for dressing. 

We sailed into Puerto Rico this morning and were off to the Citadel and for a walk around Old Town San Juan! No booked excursions today, just on our own time and feet! 

20211123_102121.jpg

Thanks so much for checking for the entertainment schedule. I’ve been trying to follow your cruise in the app and I noticed that the shows (both times and the performers) keep being revised. When I was on the Odyssey in September, I noticed that the buffet didn’t have much variety. I thought it had to do with the reduced capacity (25%) but I appears it may be because the crew is serving us. Was the solarium roof open? I am curious if they are going to open it, now that they are in the Caribbean. Thanks! 

49 minutes ago, Kris816 said:

Thanks so much for checking for the entertainment schedule. I’ve been trying to follow your cruise in the app and I noticed that the shows (both times and the performers) keep being revised. When I was on the Odyssey in September, I noticed that the buffet didn’t have much variety. I thought it had to do with the reduced capacity (25%) but I appears it may be because the crew is serving us. Was the solarium roof open? I am curious if they are going to open it, now that they are in the Caribbean. Thanks! 

Surprisingly the roof has been closed. I was commenting about this to my husband because I was surprised. The weather has been pretty beautiful so I don't know why it isn't open.

This reminded me of something else. They are 100% adhering to the posted number of people in the pool and jacuzzi at time. I saw people turned away from both yesterday afternoon. It wasn't a huge deal in the pool since people get in and out pretty regularly but the jacuzzi is another story. Some people camp in there for a long time and no one is telling them they have to leave. Not a big deal for me (I'm not a jacuzzi fan) but I'm sure others were annoyed.

You mentioned the windjammer not having a variety at breakfast, I hope this changes, only time we visit there is breakfast for the variety. Do you know if you can still get the omelets made to order, thanks for the pics, weather looks great, we are just a little over two months til our cruise on the Jewel, safe travels.

37 minutes ago, Dan Curtis said:

You mentioned the windjammer not having a variety at breakfast, I hope this changes, only time we visit there is breakfast for the variety. Do you know if you can still get the omelets made to order, thanks for the pics, weather looks great, we are just a little over two months til our cruise on the Jewel, safe travels.

Omelets and fried eggs to order are still available. But I don't think I was super clear about the variety. What I meant was essentially all the stations remain the same for breakfast. So the same things are available each day. 😊 Unlike lunch/dinner options which change day to day. 

Day 5 - St Marteen

Well... The day definitely didn't go as planned. My husband got hit with a horrible gastro issue over night and ended up in medical by about 10am. So unfortunately, we never made it off the ship. I figured I'd take to opportunity to talk about the health procedure since I know norovirus and gastroenteritis have been ongoing ship problems long before Covid. 

If you're experiencing any symptoms of Covid or gastrointestinal issues they ask that you stay in your room and call medical. They will send someone up to the room to perform a PCR test (yes, even for just gastro issues) Once they got the test back and it was negative they asked my husband to head down to medical so they could assess and treat. Not to elaborate too much but it was coming out both ends so he was feeling very poorly and running a fever. They medical staff was amazing and got an IV going to hydrate him and also gave him some Tylenol/anti nausea meds via IV. Once he was feeling a bit better they sent him back to his room where he had to isolate for 24 hrs from the last symptom. During this time, he's been able to order from room service and receive bottled water/soft drinks for free. In room movies would also be free, if they were available on this ship. His sea pass has a hold/block on it that will be lifted once he gets the all clear after the 24 isolation. This is to ensure he doesn't access places like the WJ or try to go in port. Both guest services and medical have called a few times in the last 24 hours to check on him and they've all be very sweet. We pulled into Antigua this morning (Day 6) with about 3 hours of time left on his isolation so we're waiting it out to go ashore. 

I have been able to come and go from the room and around the ship (could have gone onshore too but didn't want to leave the hubs alone) and didn't have any symptoms or issues. (We think it might just have been something he ate) I do think it's a bit of that they didn't want me to late with him but I'm thankful I didn't have to honestly. We're both bummed we missed St. Marteen since we had an ATV tour booked that we were looking forward to. Alas, it'll have to wait for next time. 

Hopefully we'll be on a beach shortly and we can share some pics. Weather has and continues to be GORGEOUS! Mid 80s and sunny! 🌞🏖️

Day 6-8 Antigua and Sea days back to Miami

Sorry for the delay in the last few days of the trip. Internet was spotty and I couldn't get my pay to actually go through. So here's the last bit of our cruise... 

Antigua... Weather was absolutely beautiful again. We spent Thanksgiving morning and afternoon our on Runaway Beach and our was so relaxing. Roundtrip taxi right from the port was $24 and 2 loungers with an umbrella was $20 at the beach. Runaway is pretty bare bones... Loungers and umbrellas with a beach bar is what you get. So if you're looking for water sorts or snorkeling this isn't the place for you. In fact snorkeling from the shore can be rough because the under row can be strong in some places. The port day was short with an all aboard at 330pm but we were ready to get a break from the sun and get ready for Thanksgiving dinner. 

The dining room was expectantly a bit busier than other nights but it wasn't bad since we had a reservation. The show once again was changed so we ended up just relaxing in the room after dinner. 

The last two days just consisted of pool time, playing cards, some trivia and eating. 😁 We enjoyed having a solid two days to just hang out on the ship before heading back to reality this week. 

We did book a transfer from the ship to Miami Airport which was $16 per person. We were given an estimated disembark time of 9:20am but they had already called all tag numbers by around 830am. Customs was literally a walk through for us with no delays. 

Our big takeaways from the trip... 

We learned we like a bigger ship. We've sailed Voyager class and up previously and just like that size or bigger. A bit more to do, places to eat and more venues can make a big difference. (We haven't done mega yet... So not sure if that's our cup of tea either 🤷🏼‍♀️

Ship shops seem to be running a little low in stock on some things. So if you see something you want (particularly liquor) buy it when you see it. 

Guest count is likely going up, so be prepared. That being said, we came back to news of another Covid variant so this could affect that plan. We were at about 75% so the ship felt pretty full. 

We hate My Time dining. Even though we made reservations for each night and requested a certain table we never sat at the same table. And only had the same serving team twice. This is our own fault as we didn't specify to our TA when she booked our cruise. 

Shows, events and activities changed all the time. You had to refresh the app calendar basically every morning to see what was happening. So if you're an activity planner than you might get frustrated.

In regards to Covid protocols and cleaning, we thought the staff did a great job. And we didn't really see anyone disregarding the mask rules. Occasionally you'd see someone without it but for the most part it was all good. That being said, since everyone essentially was vaccinated (young children excluded) with negative covid tests, I think the masks should have been optional. Just my opinion but if we have to wear one to sail, we're happy to do it. 

So I'll end with some pics from the week. Thanks for coming along! Let me know if there's anything you're wondering about! 

20211126_223312.jpg

20211125_172737.jpg

20211125_130150.jpg

20211124_093230.jpg

20211121_140134.jpg

20211121_062018.jpg

20211120_233000.jpg

6 hours ago, theSEAiscalling said:

Shows, events and activities changed all the time. You had to refresh the app calendar basically every morning to see what was happening. So if you're an activity planner than you might get frustrated.

Thank you for your live blog! With regards to the constantly changing schedule, we’re noticing the same as we prep for our upcoming trip on Anthem. The schedule in the app is pretty generic, but prior sailings have many more activities. Definitely frustrates the planner in me, but also forces us to be more spontaneous.

For the regular, plan-heavy cruisers: is it common for the events/activities in the cruise schedule to fluctuate throughout the cruise, or is this a COVID thing? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! Thanks for sharing - we're looking forward to sailing on Jewel in just under 2 months! 

Curious if you heard anything regarding passenger capacity? Did the ship feel fairly empty or did it feel like pre-Covid times (since the Windjammer is open for dinner and all)?

I'm getting the sense that some of the smaller/older ships have been slower to fill to capacity while some of the bigger ships are increasing more quickly. 

3 hours ago, KLA said:

Hi there! Thanks for sharing - we're looking forward to sailing on Jewel in just under 2 months! 

Curious if you heard anything regarding passenger capacity? Did the ship feel fairly empty or did it feel like pre-Covid times (since the Windjammer is open for dinner and all)?

I'm getting the sense that some of the smaller/older ships have been slower to fill to capacity while some of the bigger ships are increasing more quickly. 

We are cruising on the Jewel in late January, wondering the same thing, we live across the river in Northern Ky from you and hope it’s really cold hear when we leave, ha.

6 hours ago, KLA said:

6 hours ago, KLA said:

The ship was actually pretty full. About 75-80% capacity. It was a holiday sailing though (Thanksgiving) so that may have impacted the number of bookings. I would say to plan on capacity being up, the impression we got was that they were going in that direction. Outbreaks and potentially this latest variant could affect that.