Specialty Restaurants Booking??

Jolly Ogre

Well I have a weird issue. I am trying to book a specialty dining pkg in the cruise planner and I get a message as follows:

SELECTION NOT AVAILABLE

We're sorry, this restaurant is not available during this meal time or one or more of your selected guests do not meet the minimum requirements. Please check onboard.

How can I book this prior if it wont let me? If I wait till I am on board prices usually are higher.

If you have a package (like Chops +1 or 3-Night), I believe that RCL will set your first reservation (which, I understand, you can change once you're onboard and find out when/where it is), and that you make the other reservation(s) once you're onboard.  I don't know how that fits into the "minimum" message you received, unless it's simply "wait until you get aboard to make the other reservations" stated in "Royalese."

If you're trying to book a package, maybe there aren't enough left for your entire party to purchase them?

9 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

If you have a package (like Chops +1 or 3-Night), I believe that RCL will set your first reservation (which, I understand, you can change once you're onboard and find out when/where it is), and that you make the other reservation(s) once you're onboard.  I don't know how that fits into the "minimum" message you received, unless it's simply "wait until you get aboard to make the other reservations" stated in "Royalese."

If you're trying to book a package, maybe there aren't enough left for your entire party to purchase them?

It wont let me book at all. It is just me and my wife. I can book individual restaurants just fine but not a pkg. So they have spots for dining but not for the pkg? That does not make any sense. 

1 hour ago, Jolly Ogre said:

It wont let me book at all. It is just me and my wife. I can book individual restaurants just fine but not a pkg. So they have spots for dining but not for the pkg? That does not make any sense. 

I would keep checking it.  I was trying to purchase a second 3-Night Dining Package for my daughter, and it didn't show up for several weeks -- then one day (and just for one day!) it reappeared and I purchased it.  

9 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

I had the same problem and got the exact same message when trying to book “the key” for 2 people on the cruise we just came off.  It turned out they only had 1 slot left so it wouldn’t let me book it for 2.  I eventually got them to agree to open a second slot and then they were able to book both of us with the key. That’s most likely the reason for the problem you’re having as well …….. only 1 slot left for the package.

Just checking to make sure we're interpreting your question correctly.  Are you trying to buy the package itself or make dining reservations for the package (specific times at specific restaurants)?  All reservations for packages are done on board.  They only sell a certain number of packages and they hold enough reservations at the specialty restaurants for all the package holders.  But there is a trade off.  You pay less with the package but you might not get exactly the times and locations you want.

Ran into the same issue on Symphony in October. Despite the UDP showing up (various times) in Cruise Planner, when I tried booking I got the same message. 

Even when calling Royal they confirmed the package was not available for Booking online.  I learned that it was simply “sold out” online despite it showing up as an option in the planner. I was able to upgrade on the ship from 3night to UDP without any issues.