Advice Needed - Wet Clothes

Funeegal

I know the topic title is kind of stupid.  We flew to FLL today for our cruise tomorrow.  It was pouring rain when we landed and once we got to our hotel and opened up the luggage, many of the items inside are wet (hardcase and solftside suitcases).  We do not have a rental car.  There is not a laundromat nearby.  There is too much to hang and let dry overnight (only to re-pack again) tomorrow morning.  The hotel does not have a coin laundry machine.

What is the best method to get clothes to dry on a ship?  It seems like even when we hang stuff on the balcony or on the line in the bathroom, it takes forever to dry.  Would RCL have a dry only service?  We are a family of 4 and I don't want to have the equivalent of 2 large suitcases sent out for laundry on RCL.

Looking for reasonable ideas please....

50 minutes ago, Funeegal said:

I know the topic title is kind of stupid.  We flew to FLL today for our cruise tomorrow.  It was pouring rain when we landed and once we got to our hotel and opened up the luggage, many of the items inside are wet (hardcase and softside suitcases).  We do not have a rental car.  There is not a laundromat nearby.  There is too much to hang and let dry overnight (only to re-pack again) tomorrow morning.  The hotel does not have a coin laundry machine.

What is the best method to get clothes to dry on a ship?  It seems like even when we hang stuff on the balcony or on the line in the bathroom, it takes forever to dry.  Would RCL have a dry only service?  We are a family of 4 and I don't want to have the equivalent of 2 large suitcases sent out for laundry on RCL.

We had this happen to us on one of our trips to Disney world.  we just hung things up in the room and let them dry over a couple of days.  What I suggest to you is that you hang up some things and use the hair dryer to get them "dry enough" and then once on the cruise, hang things in the closet of your cabin to dry (and use the hair dryer again)

Also, I would ask your cabin steward for some options and explain the situation.  Royal may dry your things for you at no or low cost.  The worst they can do is say no.  My wife once got something on her shorts while at a show and when we asked if they had some detergent we could "borrow" they just washed and dried them for us.

Because of this situation, we have since lined our suitcases with a garbage bag while packing just in case it gets left in the rain.  Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Reigert2008 said:

Because of this situation, we have since lined our suitcases with a garbage bag while packing just in case it gets left in the rain.  Good Luck!

Or use packing cubes from now on which not only keep things dry but also makes packing a suitcase very easy and neat!  You can unpack the cubes with your clothing that needs to be hung up but the smaller ones with underwear…sleep wear…swim wear…exercise clothes can just be placed  in drawers or on shelves!  I will never travel without them!

I was also going to suggest a hair dryer for some items.   Once when I left my luggage with porter before boarding the ship they were left in rain.  One suitcase everything was wet.  Blue color faded onto whites, etc.  The cruise ship ship then washed and pressed them all for us.  

6 hours ago, Funeegal said:

I know the topic title is kind of stupid.  We flew to FLL today for our cruise tomorrow.  It was pouring rain when we landed and once we got to our hotel and opened up the luggage, many of the items inside are wet (hardcase and solftside suitcases).  We do not have a rental car.  There is not a laundromat nearby.  There is too much to hang and let dry overnight (only to re-pack again) tomorrow morning.  The hotel does not have a coin laundry machine.

Your not going to have luck tonight drying off clothing on the balcony. It’s raining on and off all day and night. There’s laundry places all over East Fort Lauderdale as we are the yachting capitol of the world and just about all the crew from these yachts needs these laundry mats. If your on 17th street then you are not far from a couple. Depending on your boarding time tomorrow you could easily UBER to one of these locations and solve your issue before getting on the ship. 

Thanks for all of the advice. We use packing cubes, we tried the hair dryer. I neglected to mention the suitcases themselves are soaking so drying clothes only to put them back into wet suitcases would make them wet/damp again. 

we dried some items overnight in our room. We have 2 carryons that are dry so we have clothes for a day or two. 

What we can dry in our staterooms will help and we will send other items to the ship laundry (maybe with that $20 bill) to get us through. 

Of all the years I traveled for business, I haven’t seen suitcases soaked like this. I swear they were left in puddles out on the tarmac. LOL

How can I be that upset?  We all have clothes and we are on vacation!

1 hour ago, Funeegal said:

I swear they were left in puddles out on the tarmac. LOL

How can I be that upset?  We all have clothes and we are on vacation!

Exactly this happened to my sister-in-law and her family when they were flying home from Miami. The skies opened and threw a week's worth of rain down in about 20 minutes. The baggage handlers ran for cover and left the bags out in the rain. SIL was "lucky" insofar as they were on their way home and not just starting their trip.

I'm glad you're able to take it philosophically. Hope you have a great cruise! 🙂

Sorry this happened. Happened to us flying home from Aruba several years ago. Had to connect in Atlanta (who doesn’t lol) and it was incredibly stormy and flights got delayed. All the while our luggage sat on the tarmac in a luggage dolly. We had to throw the suitcases out. Everything was soaked. 

This is a good reminder for me as we have 2 cruises this year requiring flights and an international trip as well. One is Alaska and one is Scotland and both can be rainy destinations. Looks like we will be investing in those vacuum sealed ziplock bags. 

Hope you have a great trip and skies clear! 

I may be a little late to the conversation, but I have a trick that shortens the drying time. Roll your item up in a towel then a step on it. It sucks the water out pretty well and you start with damp clothes instead of wet. one towel works on about two swim suits, but towels in a hotel, or cabin, are usually easy to come by... Have fun!

Hello from Symphony of the Seas!  Well…we arrived with wet clothes. We spoke to our cabin steward and handed him the huge pile of wet clothes and asked if they could be dried only. Told him what happened and asked if there was anything that could be done (with a $20). 

We got our clothes back, dried and folded just about 15 minutes ago. 

Thanks for all of the advice!  

13 minutes ago, Funeegal said:

Hello from Symphony of the Seas!  Well…we arrived with wet clothes. We spoke to our cabin steward and handed him the huge pile of wet clothes and asked if they could be dried only. Told him what happened and asked if there was anything that could be done (with a $20). 

We got our clothes back, dried and folded just about 15 minutes ago. 

Thanks for all of the advice!  

$20 handshake solves all kinds of problems! Enjoy your cruise!

On 11/19/2021 at 4:23 PM, teddy said:

Can you talk to the desk person and see if they can help you?  The hotel must have a dryer, even if it’s not for public use. 

Maybe offer to toss them a $20?

I know I'm late to the conversation, but I worked in a major hotel chain for 10+ years. Early in my career, I accidentally ruined someone's clothes after only 15 min in the dryer. Hotel dryers (if the don't have guest laundry) are really only used for linens, they dry on ultra high heat and are really rough on regular clothes (there is no "low" setting).

Sometimes the front desk is super willing to help but they may be new, and/or don't realize the in and outs of the housekeeping facilities. 

That being said the FD WILL know where a good laundromat is, or even friendly partner hotels that have guest laundry. If the hotel has a shuttle, they will be more than happy to take you to the best places. Just be nice to them, and they will take care of you!