xSAILEDx Anthem of the Seas May 2, 2022 to May 13, 2022 Repositioning Cruise

Audrey V.

So by back to back, do you mean going back to the states on Anthem in November 2022, or additional cruising when you get to Southhampton?

I am from Florida originally,  so lots of Carribean cruises. Ironically,  our only other RCCL was in Alaska. 

We are thinking of going back via another transatlantic cruise, but we want to see how we do with our first transatlantic. Our prior European trips have been via plane.

On 11/28/2021 at 6:31 AM, instaGator said:

We are Mike & Lynne from Dunedin, Florida and we are joining you on this transatlantic crossing.  This will be our fifth transatlantic.  We love them!

CocoCay.jpeg

Lynn,

Since you are experienced transatlantic crossers AND Floridians, I have a packing question. We are planning to stay in Europe, and basically backpack around for a few months (just bought our backpack - hurray). I realized after booking that Royal Caribbean does not have self-laundry, which is not a deal killer, but I was wondering how dressed do you need to be for MDR formal nights. Is it about the same for Alaska / Caribbean, where I pair a few dressy blouses with a skirt? Will "smart casual" be enough? Does my husband need a jacket, or can he be seated with a collared shirt? 

High heels and dress clothes are bulky for backpacking, and we are trying to be mindful minimalists doing nomadic travel. I want to know if the vibe for transatlantic is different than other cruises. 

Thanks, Audrey

5 hours ago, Audrey V. said:

Lynn,

Since you are experienced transatlantic crossers AND Floridians, I have a packing question. We are planning to stay in Europe, and basically backpack around for a few months (just bought our backpack - hurray). I realized after booking that Royal Caribbean does not have self-laundry, which is not a deal killer, but I was wondering how dressed do you need to be for MDR formal nights. Is it about the same for Alaska / Caribbean, where I pair a few dressy blouses with a skirt? Will "smart casual" be enough? Does my husband need a jacket, or can he be seated with a collared shirt? 

High heels and dress clothes are bulky for backpacking, and we are trying to be mindful minimalists doing nomadic travel. I want to know if the vibe for transatlantic is different than other cruises. 

Thanks, Audrey

Transatlantics are generally less formal than a Caribbean cruise, and in our experience, similar to an Alaskan cruise.  The weather is usually cooler and everyone is dealing with airline baggage limits, which makes efficient packing a requirement.  You husband definitely does not need a suit or sport coat.  Lightweight dresses that can be rolled are great, and so are pants, along with a very versatile warm wrap that can be worn in the evenings. On this trip, we will be gone for 35 days (the TA is the just the start of our trip as well) and we will pack enough clothes for one week.  We will then re-wear or creatively re-combine our outfits make it seem like we are not wearing the same thing every day.  We use a small clothes line (this is ours: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Lite-Line-Clothesline/dp/B000T28X4E/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B000T28X4E&psc=1) and magnetic hooks (https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Refrigerator-Neodymium-Scratch-Resistant-Base,Ideal/dp/B07XG5HFVW/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=heavy+duty+magnetic+hooks&qid=1638749253&sr=8-15), and hang it in our cabin.  We do a small amount of laundry (underwear, workout clothes, sleepwear, etc) each day of the cruise.  Part of the fun is the planning!!  Let us know if you have more questions.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, instaGator said:

Transatlantics are generally less formal than a Caribbean cruise, and in our experience, similar to an Alaskan cruise.  The weather is usually cooler and everyone is dealing with airline baggage limits, which makes efficient packing a requirement.  You husband definitely does not need a suit or sport coat.  Lightweight dresses that can be rolled are great, and so are pants, along with a very versatile warm wrap that can be worn in the evenings. On this trip, we will be gone for 35 days (the TA is the just the start of our trip as well) and we will pack enough clothes for one week.  We will then re-wear or creatively re-combine our outfits make it seem like we are not wearing the same thing every day.  We use a small clothes line (this is ours: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Lite-Line-Clothesline/dp/B000T28X4E/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B000T28X4E&psc=1) and magnetic hooks (https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Refrigerator-Neodymium-Scratch-Resistant-Base,Ideal/dp/B07XG5HFVW/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=heavy+duty+magnetic+hooks&qid=1638749253&sr=8-15), and hang it in our cabin.  We do a small amount of laundry (underwear, workout clothes, sleepwear, etc) each day of the cruise.  Part of the fun is the planning!!  Let us know if you have more questions.

Most cool. I did not even think about clotheslines,  but that will help with the rest of Europe too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Not many posting on this TA. I'm on May 15th Voyager of the Seas Baltic out of Copenhagen after this ship docks so appreciated the magnets and clothesline info. Most of the other ships I've sailed have had clothesline in shower. Hilton Garden Inn at Heathrow has coin laundry so I will be clean for next leg of this trip.

I am Sandra age 78 (solo) and resident of Punta Gorda little further South of Dunedin. I use a walker so will be limited on the port trips but thats okay love being on the ship.

This is my first TA but have been to Europe on Land trips, although the ports on Baltic will be new except for Copenhagen. 😃

23 hours ago, skings8 said:

Hello, Not many posting on this TA. I'm on May 15th Voyager of the Seas Baltic out of Copenhagen after this ship docks so appreciated the magnets and clothesline info. Most of the other ships I've sailed have had clothesline in shower. Hilton Garden Inn at Heathrow has coin laundry so I will be clean for next leg of this trip.

I am Sandra age 78 (solo) and resident of Punta Gorda little further South of Dunedin. I use a walker so will be limited on the port trips but thats okay love being on the ship.

This is my first TA but have been to Europe on Land trips, although the ports on Baltic will be new except for Copenhagen. 😃

We look forward to meeting you onboard!  Yes, most of the ships have clotheslines in the shower, but we find it more convenient to keep the drying clothes out of the bathroom.  

I'm a member on another forum annnnd a few comments have indicated that some are canceling European cruises. I will wait until March to make

decision on these 2 cruises. Hate to think about canceling after the hassle of 2020,  but dont want to be stuck in Europe either. My Voyager of the Seas cruise is port intensive and

may decide to just cancel that one and come home when this one ends. 😑

LOL...yeah me too. We have planned a Europe trip twice before and they were both cancelled due to RONA (Corona). Those trips were land trips. When I found this one, I couldn't pass up the price and so far I have gotten another $900.00 or by calling and price checking. I don't think I will ever find it any cheaper. 11day, 2 ppl, unobstructed balcony, total to date is $2,100.00 🙂 Love it! Now lets hope it doesn't get cancelled

30 minutes ago, Audrey V. said:

That's awesome.  We are staying in an inside room (I like the darkness). Part of a longer trip (using the cruise as a one way to Europe, and if we like it, will book a return trip in October) backpacking through Europe.  

My daughter is also booked. She is in an inside cabin with a virtual balcony. I’ve never seen that, so that will be a treat 

Hello folks I too am on this cruise (covid willing🙃) My first time on Anthem and TA. 78 year old widow from Gulf Coast in Fl, in  virtual on deck 11. I will be connecting with

Voyager of the Seas in Copenhagen on May 15 for Baltic cruise, that's a first also. Had same itinerary for 2020 but we know how that went. Hoping that the ports are open

when we sail. Just wondering if Royal will give us free testing in Southampton. I will make a decision in March on these 2 cruises would hate to cancel and go through the  trouble of 2020 again, but not worth the Baltic cruise if ports continue to be closed.

The cruise cancellations have got me thinking too. Since it is a repositioning cruise,  they will eventually need to move the boat, so Plan B (choice 1) would be to go when they go. Choice 2 would be to go on another repositioning and choice 3 to fly over and then rebook on the way back another repositioning cruise.  We are purposely not booking stays overseas that we cannot cancel. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are also going on this cruise with another couple and was scheduled to cruise  February of 2020 and now hopefully we can go May 2,22. Have never experienced a transatlantic cruise before. Booked a balcony to observe the big waves 😮😮 and hoping to spot some marine life. 

We are in our nomad portion of retirement,  and this cruise is taking a slower than flight route to Europe where we will stay for awhile before starting a home base again, all COVID-19 willing. 

I love when I spot marine life. Have seen whales and dolphins hanging around the ship in Caribbean and Alaska. Did not think there would be much in an Atlantic crossing.  

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Anthem of the Seas May 2, 2022 to May 13, 2022 Repositioning Cruise