VOOM is down fleetwide?

PG Cruiser

On the Anthem….was out or sporadic most of the day yesterday. Anyone who went to the Voom desk to inquire was given a one day refund. I don’t know if they did it for everyone or just those who went to the desk because he entered the cabin number on a list when we asked. Right now it’s up…8am Wednesday.

This has happened before.  Previously SES/O3b has had an outage.  They are the satellite provider that operates the satellites that many cruise lines use.

Having worked for an internet service provider myself I can confirm that outages happen.  Things break.  Routers running routing protocols do weird, unexpected things.  Sometimes a human makes a mistake, sometimes equipment loses it mind.  Sometimes an evil miscreant from a land far away launches a denial service attack that cripples a network.  They can target one organization and hundreds of innocent organizations are taken down by association.  It's very frustrating for a service provider when that occurs.  

We are onboard Allure - yesterday there was no Voom. We connectivity around 8ish this morning. Wouldn’t matter a lot to us other than being unable to reach those caring for the furkids at home. It was a real frustration yesterday to a cruise friend who had one of her cruise companions die onboard on the first sea day as she needed contact with home/family more than usual ☹️

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Is this someone who passed away on Allure during this cruise ?  How awful.

Yes, on Allure. 😔  I didn’t see myself having to do crisis intervention on the ship, but you do things you have to do sometimes and I was glad to help. She is a dear woman.We’re checking in on her frequently and got in touch with a few others that have met her to try to fill some more of her time. 

P.S. We are so sorry that you aren’t with us!