What test is excepteable, and where can I purchase please?

Kaci

Can anyone tell me If I have to buy the 6 test for $150 from emed please? Is there anywhere else that I can purchase them? We cant get tested on Christmas Eve and have the results by the 26th. First, there are no testing sites open on Christmas day or Christmas eve. Two, even if they were, no one would result them do to the labs being closed. WE board the day after Christmas. These expectations are ridiculous. Thanks for your help in advance.

45 minutes ago, Kaci said:

Can anyone tell me If I have to buy the 6 test for $150 from emed please? Is there anywhere else that I can purchase them? We cant get tested on Christmas Eve and have the results by the 26th. First, there are no testing sites open on Christmas day or Christmas eve. Two, even if they were, no one would result them do to the labs being closed. WE board the day after Christmas. These expectations are ridiculous. Thanks for your help in advance.

Here is the link to the Royal Caribbean site.  While this board is extremely helpful it is a fan site and you should really rely on the Official site for exact details for your situation.

Pre-Cruise Testing -- https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/pre-cruise-testing

Related Royal Page about the tests -- https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/is-there-a-telemedicine-option-for-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

Protocols -- https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center

We did the eMed ones before our cruise last week and it was easy.  You will need to create each adult thier own account for the app /site.  Not sure about kids, since that did not apply to our situation.  

I would recommend you have at least a few extra test kits in case a test is damaged or something goes wrong. Some people recommend 2 test kits per person, but you will need to decide that on your own.  

I agree it is stressful.  

Good Luck!

If you use the eMed tests, you should watch this video it shows the exact process (and even what happens if you make a mistake) -- 

59 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

Walgreens and CVS are not open?  I just assumed they would be open and I could test there.  Guess I should look into that too since we cruise the day after Christmas.

No they will not be able to result them until Monday or Tuesday. We are also cruising the day after Christmas.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a very similar question and didn't want to start a duplicate thread.

In October, my wife and I cruised on Serenade of the Seas out of Tampa. I ordered the three pack of the Abbot Binax tests for $99.99 from the Royal Caribbean page at the Optum store here:https://store.optum.com/royal-caribbean/. It was incredibly convenient and easy, and we still have one test left.

Our next cruise is on Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore in December, and there will be six of us, including a minor child. I see that eMed has a six pack of tests for $150.00 here:https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

I feel like these must be the exact same tests and that there's absolutely no issue ordering from eMed rather than from Optum. But I would feel a lot better if someone could confirm this from personal experience. And it would be $50 to put towards a drink package!

@Kaci The Optum store also has a two pack for $69.99.

Thanks all!

5 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I ordered from EMed - they are the same. Be sure that they won't expire before your testing date, though.

First, get the EMed proctored AG tests direct from EMed - the 6pk costs $150. I ordered mine on their web site and they were delivered in 3 days - no charge. You can pay to get them overnight. Download the Navica App to your phone. Abbot and EMed - the makers of the BInaxNow AG tests (both types - non-proctored and proctored) and the lab Abbot selected to officially result AG tests - have partnered with Navica to provide a means for you to present either a digital QR code or hard copy letter as proof of proctored AG testing. I've used them for boarding Celebrity Millennium out of Fort Lauderdale last week without any problems. IOW, no question they were acceptable proof of a negative test.

Second, the expiration date on the test kit box (only one test in the proctored kit, two in the self test) has probably been extended. I don't have the link but if you Google expiration date extension for Abbot Binax Now test kits, you'll find a letter from Abbot (check to make sure it's the most recent letter, there are several) that shows the extended expiration date for the test kits by product number (also on the box). The ones I bought in July, had an expiration date in October but was extended until February 2022. I carried that letter with me when I boarded Millennium just in case. Didn't need it then but will carry it again in December when I board Equinox and in February, 2022 when I board Reflection. Also, besides your digital proof that will reside in the Navica App (easy to use) you'll get an email from EMed Labs that will have an attachment containing a letter that is a hard-copy of your test results with all the required information on it. Download it to your PC and print it. Carry that just incase your phone or internet connection poops out when someone is asking for your test results in the terminal on boarding.

Finally, the Binax Now unproctored AG tests, although they can't be used for poof of COVID testing to board a cruise ship can be used, for example, as a screening tool for upcoming holiday gatherings with family or friends. It may sound like overkill to some but surveillance testing of attendees to large family gatherings, especially if there are vulnerable, at risk family members attending, is a good way to make sure you won't become one of those super-spreader events. Even if you can get some but not everyone to get the tests (in FL, I see plenty of them in CVS and Walgreens and are about $23 for two tests), its a good step in mitigating spread.   

Finally, screw RCL for charging more for these tests than you can get commercially and direct from EMed.

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Also children aren't allowed to use the test by Binax, so the 6pk will only be good for the adults.

Is that a RC thing or Binax?  Binax website states the following:

Test authorized for use by persons age 4+.

Test takers 14 or younger must be accompanied by an adult during specimen collection.

56 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Finally, screw RCL for charging more for these tests than you can get commercially and direct from EMed.

However they are not charging more than Optum does on a regular basis.  The price for the 2 and 3 packs are the same whether you use the Royal link or go directly to the Optum store.  I don't think you can get 2 and 3 packs on Emed.

1 hour ago, peytonhead said:

Test takers 14 or younger must be accompanied by an adult during specimen collection.

It isn't actually a child thing.  My 5 and 10 can do the at home because they will be fully vaccinated by the cruise.  Because my 4 year old son is not vaccinated he can't do at home test.

1 hour ago, peytonhead said:

It is a RCG thing. The test say they can be used by those 4+ but RCG will not accept these test for unvaxxed children. They do allow those who are fully vaxxed over 5 to use them.

On 11/16/2021 at 6:31 PM, Kaci said:

No they will not be able to result them until Monday or Tuesday. We are also cruising the day after Christmas.

When I had my daughter tested due to exposure they had the results to me in an hour.  I just figured I would make an appointment for all 5 of us for Christmas Eve morning to do our test and have the results back within an hour.  Christmas day I expect them to be closed, but not Christmas Eve morning.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:42 AM, leesam82 said:

For my sailing I went thorugh a site called curative www.curative.com. They partner at major sites throughout the united states. I was told by the testing center that I will be going to that they do open on christmas and christmas eve for limited hours. I do not know if its all sites on that do testing. 

I've personally used Curative about five times for myself and my son (under 12).  Our local site does PCR testing and they are always easy to schedule, and the testing is typically back quickly.

On 11/17/2021 at 9:19 PM, JeffB said:

RC literally redirects you to the Optum store. Same price as Optum direct.  

EMed only offered a 6 pack.  Buy in bulk on EMed for a discount if you like. However the 6 pack would be overkill for some.  Two people going on a cruise don’t need a 6 pack so they can use Optum for their needs. Optum only offers 2 & 3 packs at a higher per unit cost compared to EMed. That’s on Optum, not Royal. 

Truthfully, Royal had been providing free tests for consecutive cruisers and international travelers on US home port sailings.  They are not and have not tried to turn testing into a profit item. 

I know you pride yourself on detailed and lengthy posts to support those details but you are wrong shaming Royal for Optum offering smaller packaging and charging more per unit then EMed does who only sells the 6 pack.

I bought a package of six from the Optum store via Royal. $199. I received them, and it turns out they were to expire before the Feb 3 +3 months stated on their website. I called them, and the two reps I spoke with said they saw the same thing on their website, and they refunded all my money and said to keep the tests (which expire on 12/19), and told me to order directly from eMed. So I ordered a package of six from eMed for $150 plus shipping. See below. eMed was cheaper for the same number of tests, and the tests expire in February. Caveat: YMMV.

image.png.68de655184866c347934238792717dbe.png

I stand by my "screw RCL's" use of Optum although I regret the use of the term "screw."

One can parse the numbers but the more reliable vendor of rapid at home AG tests offering the best value is probably not RCL's Optum. It may or may not be an accurate position to say RCL wanted to use the purchase of rapid AG tests via Optum as a revenue stream. That's becasue we have no idea, at least I don't, what the contractual arrangements are between RCL and Optum. But knowing what I know about corporations and RCL in general, they're not looking for the best deal for their guests but rather to optimize profit margins in a very difficult time to do that - IOW, anything helps.

Ask yourself why would RCL offer one single vendor and set up a link at the RCL web site to that vendor instead of providing a list of the many vendors out there offering the Abbot Binax Now test kits if there wasn't some  kind of contractual stipulation that RCL will derive some benefit ?    

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

I stand by my "screw RCL's" use of Optum although I regret the use of the term "screw."

One can parse the numbers but the more reliable vendor of rapid at home AG tests offering the best value is probably not RCL's Optum. It may or may not be an accurate position to say RCL wanted to use the purchase of rapid AG tests via Optum as a revenue stream. That's becasue we have no idea, at least I don't, what the contractual arrangements are between RCL and Optum. But knowing what I know about corporations and RCL in general, they're not looking for the best deal for their guests but rather to optimize profit margins in a very difficult time to do that - IOW, anything helps.

Revenue stream - you don't buy it from Royal Caribbean!  Where is the revenue stream?

Optum direct:

317876999_ScreenShot2021-11-20at4_37_24PM.jpg.09b375b26d852c4b82b16e015d137aaa.jpg

Optum redirected from Royal Caribbean:

1990274774_ScreenShot2021-11-20at4_42_39PM.jpg.b869ea7a55f655223946c9f1675dd47f.jpg

SAME PRICE

So how is Royal turning this into a revenue stream when they don't sell them?  They redirect you to Optum where you pay the same price!  You buy it from Optum and Optum ships it.

As far as eMed and their 6 pack, most groups boarding a Royal cruise are not a party of 6.  Kids can't use these so how many people need more than two to board a cruise?

Plus eMed charges for shipping while Optum includes shipping.

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Ask yourself why would RCL offer one single vendor and set up a link at the RCL web site to that vendor instead of providing a list of the many vendors out there offering the Abbot Binax Now test kits if there wasn't some  kind of contractual stipulation that RCL will derive some benefit ?    

eMed had no inventory when Royal introduced this.  Only recently has eMed started taking orders again.  

What wild accusation would you level against Royal for offering eMed with no inventory to offer and a backorder status?

You are just wrong dude.  Enough fake news and wild unsupported accusations. 

Welcome to the block party.  Ignored.

Buh Bye.

On 11/16/2021 at 6:31 PM, Kaci said:

I actually now realize it was CVS I took my daughter and had the results within an hour.  They are right across the street from each other so I mix them up all the time.  But CVS is also antigen so they should work too.  I plan to make an appointment for all 5 of us at CVS on Christmas Eve since my son's test has to be in person I might as well do all of us in person and get it done for free.  That way we will have the results within an hour and then enjoy the rest of our Christmas holiday.

3 hours ago, Kaci said:

I guess we are just unlucky cause the curative site, and cvs and walgreens said there is no testing on Christmas Eve or Christmas day. Not to mention to get an appointment for 9 people would be impossible. 

CVS and Walgreens don't put their testing schedules out that far.  I can't even make an appointment for anything past 12/5.  Same with the Curative site, most places that have tests only have appointments to the beginning of December.  I tried calling one place and they said they haven't been told anything for the holidays yet.  So I figured I would check 2 weeks before Christmas Eve for appointments at various places as that seems to be when schedules are released.  If I can't find anything anywhere then I will order the mail tests.  There are 5 of us and my son can't use the at home tests at all, but he can test the day before Christmas Eve, so I know for him I can get something.  We have so many testing places that do Rapid Antigen around us I see no reason to pay for mail in unless I absolutely cannot find a rapid for Christmas Eve once it gets in the time frame where they release appointments.  I no longer am in a hot spot so testing is much easier to find these days in my area.