Anyone sail on the first Explorer of the Seas 7 Nov 2021 out of San Juan

19 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Anyone sailed on the first sailing of Explorer of the Seas?  We are interested in how the cruise went and details of the check-in procedures.  Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Yes!  We were on the first sailing last week!  I have the cruise compasses and will upload them when I get them scanned in.  Check in was a breeze, as long as you had all your paperwork in order.  We were in an early boarding group and of course lots of people showed up hours too early.  We had a short wait to get into the 1:00 PM line after arriving at about 12:45 PM and dropping luggage off.  Then we breezed right on in and onto the ship.  On the ship things were smooth and no issues that i could see.  The Windjammer was open for dinner, so I assume it was at least 50% capacity, but never asked anyone.  Several ports required excursions to explore the city, but the ports had "approved vendors" at the port you could use if you are against booking through Royal. We used Royal for our excursions, and they were all great.  Disembarkation was smooth as well, just wait in your room until your tag is called.

FYI, if you are traveling to Puerto Rico, there are some non-Royal things you need to know.  Of course, YMMV.

You need to complete a travel declaration form in order to leave the airport and must show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test < 72 hours before arrival

Many stores/restaurants require proof of vaccination (and ID) to enter

Some Hotels also require proof of vaccination or negative COVID test when checking in (we stayed at the Sheraton in Old San Juan both pre and post cruise)

Masks are required indoors and when outside in groups of > 50 people 

when disembarking the ship, they will auto enroll you in the Sara Alert program and you will get a survey via email each day to ask about any symptoms.  We received our first email yesterday (once we were back home) and received another today.  Not sure how long we will get them, but we are answering them to be safe and not inadvertently get a fine.

Thank you so much for the information.  We will be on the 21st and 28th sailing and can’t wait.  

3 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

You need to complete a travel declaration form in order to leave the airport and must show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test < 72 hours before arrival

We have been to the https://1link.travelsafe.pr.gov and filled out our paperwork and got the our bar code.  Is the travel declaration you referred to?   Is the airport your local airport or the San Juan airport?

Really appreciate your help. 

3 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Thank you so much for the information.  We will be on the 21st and 28th sailing and can’t wait.  

We have been to the https://1link.travelsafe.pr.gov and filled out our paperwork and got the our bar code.  Is the travel declaration you referred to?   Is the airport your local airport or the San Juan airport?

Really appreciate your help. 

All at the Puerto Rico Airport.  That is the site.  you can fill out the form ANYTIME before you arrive and then print out the QR code that is provides (save a copy as well!)  You will need that code and your vaccination proof / negative test in order to leave the international airport in San Juan.  Once you leave baggage claim to head out the doors, they had a person that that checked your docs and maybe your temperature (not sure on that one)

On 11/16/2021 at 10:26 AM, Reigert2008 said:

Not sure how long we will get them, but we are answering them to be safe and not inadvertently get a fine.

I'm not sure how you can get fined if you aren't even in PR. I mean I guess they could flag you if you ever attempted to go back to PR if you didn't fill out their survey.

• 2 weeks later...

First time posting but I just wanted some clarification on the return back to the US. There isn't any requirement to have a COVID test to RETURN back to the United States, correct? Everything that I have read and studied up on, I see all the requirements to get to Puerto Rico and to enter onto the ship. But the only thing I have seen for the return trip back to the the US is signing up for the SARA Alert Program. Is this correct? Me and my wife are sailing on January 9th for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and quite excited. Thank you for this website, these forums, and the YouTube Q and A vids. They have been very helpful.

1 hour ago, Tim B said:

There isn't any requirement to have a COVID test to RETURN back to the United States, correct?

From a cruise that begins and ends in the US? No, there is not a covid test requirement to return for vaccinated guests.

Unvaccinated guests on sailings longer than I think 4 or 5 nights need to get a test

2 hours ago, Tim B said:

But the only thing I have seen for the return trip back to the the US is signing up for the SARA Alert Program. Is this correct?

We did nothing to signup for the Sara Alert program, we were auto enrolled.  I had read about it on some site that I cannot find now and assumed that we woudl have a QR code or something to scan to signup when exiting the ship (much like at the airport in Puerto Rico), but nothing was ever said.  We just started receiving the emails 2 days after our cruise when we were already back in KY 🙂