Health providers, Covid and Cruising

Ditchdoc

I am a RN. I work two jobs. One is in an addiction clinc where as many as 200 patients needs are addressed daily. Some of these patients are known to be Covid+ and are seen in an isolated area. All the medical staff wear masks and patients are required to wear masks. All the medical staff are very much pro-vaccine. All my vaccines are current including flu and booster.

The second job is in a hospital administering monoclonal antibodies to Covid+ patients. Here I am in a room for 8 hours a day with as many as 5 Covid+ patients at a time. In this case, I all but wear a space suit all day.

Here is the deal. The cruise lines and a lot of other places commonality ask if you have been in contact with someone that has Covid. Well the truth is obvious for me but at the same time, I am not inclined to answer yes for fear of loosing my rights to cruise or attended whatever function is asking me.

Is this fair to health providers?

What is your opinion?

Good question, but my interpretation of the question is that it is asking about "unprotected" contact, such as living with a family member who has COVID-19.  I think Royal needs to offer an explanation to health care workers, first responders, and others who take preventive measures.  I'd like to see how other health care workers have answered your question.

See also a posting on a related thread:  Wordell1 writes:

"The CDC guidelines for vaccinated persons is as follows:

People who are fully vaccinated do NOT need to quarantine after contact with someone who had COVID-19 unless they have symptoms. However, fully vaccinated people should get tested 5-7 days after their exposure, even if they don’t have symptoms and wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until their test result is negative."

4 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

I am a RN. I work two jobs. One is in an addiction clinc where as many as 200 patients needs are addressed daily. Some of these patients are known to be Covid+ and are seen in an isolated area. All the medical staff wear masks and patients are required to wear masks. All the medical staff are very much pro-vaccine. All my vaccines are current including flu and booster.

The second job is in a hospital administering monoclonal antibodies to Covid+ patients. Here I am in a room for 8 hours a day with as many as 5 Covid+ patients at a time. In this case, I all but wear a space suit all day.

Here is the deal. The cruise lines and a lot of other places commonality ask if you have been in contact with someone that has Covid. Well the truth is obvious for me but at the same time, I am not inclined to answer yes for fear of loosing my rights to cruise or attended whatever function is asking me.

What is your opinion?

Just my opinion, but….I would expect it’s rather difficult to cover every exception to a rule when the rule is created so recently…but this one seems reasonable. If you are separated by PPE which is designed to stop the virus, then I would think you are not ‘in contact’. The 5 to 7 days CDC guidelines wouldn’t help if you worked up to the day before your cruise. I also think if you ask at the terminal, their reaction would tend to be on the side of caution and deny boarding. 
By the way…I applaud you for your work! You really are a guardian angel!

4 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

What is your opinion?

IMHO it’s fair to answer “no”. This topic is so sensitive that a “yes” could potentially have an impact on your cruise and that’s not fair. If you comply with the testing requirements then you should board the ship like the rest of the people. 

Doc here.  I work closely with COVID positive patients daily.  I always answer this question when I travel as a “no.”  I wear appropriate PPE and take precautions (even  above and beyond as well to prevent transmission.)  This is not considered an exposure.  In reality, I’m more at risk of exposure going to my local grocery store (which I don’t do- I love grocery pickup!)