RC Receipt Question

Si58

Quick question. It is impossible to get through to RC via phone and it's been almost a month since I sent an inquiry via email so hoping posting here will help. 
We booked a cruise during a sale period (booked 24 October for an Alaska sailing 1 May 2022 on Serenade of the Seas). We paid the deposit (received confirmation of deposit payment) but didn't receive a receipt itemizing what we booked. Is that normal? I called today to get a receipt sent via their automation and it is not showing any of the discounts. Does that happen? 

Welcome to the message boards!

I have a terrible time getting emails from Royal for some reason.  My suggestion - transfer the booking to a travel agent.  They can dig into your booking and get you a receipt.  Some agencies use their own confirmations which do not detail the discounts, and others just give you the Royal confirmation.  But even the ones that use their own confirmation can break out the details for you.  Plus, the travel agent will do all the waiting on hold for you, at no charge. 😄 

This blog is sponsored by a wonderful, experienced agency that most of us here would recommend. @Beci or @michelle or @Sharla or @Jacki_MEI come to mind off the top of my head.  

6 hours ago, Si58 said:

Quick question. It is impossible to get through to RC via phone and it's been almost a month since I sent an inquiry via email so hoping posting here will help. 
We booked a cruise during a sale period (booked 24 October for an Alaska sailing 1 May 2022 on Serenade of the Seas). We paid the deposit (received confirmation of deposit payment) but didn't receive a receipt itemizing what we booked. Is that normal? I called today to get a receipt sent via their automation and it is not showing any of the discounts. Does that happen? 

If you use Twitter, I've found that contacting Royal Caribbean that way tends to get faster results.  Also, I ran into the same problem that you did, and used a combination of telephone call and (I think) Chat to get it resolved.  They then emailed me my Confirmation with all of the charges and discounts.  BTW, they hold absolutely to that 30-day limit to transfer your reservation to a TA -- and it's definitely based on the day you made the reservation, not the day they decide to send the confirmation!

Many of us use one of the many excellent agents at M.E.I. Travel (who also sponsor this website).

I personally use Michelle Cunningham ([email protected] , but there are many.  You can email her (or any of the other suggested ones that will surely come along soon) or fill out the yellow form on the front page of www.royalcaribbeanblog.com and one of them will contact you.

Is it true that when we book a cruise and pay the deposit, the price we are booking is not guaranteed? I spoke with a RC representative and was advised the cost of the cruise is subject to change until paid in full? Is that correct even if we payed the deposit and secured our stateroom? We didn't have to pay the balance until the end of January. 

2 hours ago, Si58 said:

Is it true that when we book a cruise and pay the deposit, the price we are booking is not guaranteed? I spoke with a RC representative and was advised the cost of the cruise is subject to change until paid in full? Is that correct even if we payed the deposit and secured our stateroom? We didn't have to pay the balance until the end of January. 

No not really, you pay the cost associated unless port fees and taxes go up. However since "sales" occur, the price of your cruise can change if you call and ask for them too. 

I know a lot of people are saying to go with a travel agent, but there is a BIG downside.  Once you do, Royal will not answer any of your questions, or give you any information.  I've been having a big problem with Future Cruise Credit, and my agent has been trying to get someone, from Royal to give her (me ) an answer.  This has been going on for 7 weeks, she has escalated it, I've tried contacting Royal but they won't give me the time of day.  If the ship employees of RCL were like the land based employees Sovereign would have been their last ship.

15 hours ago, Si58 said:

Once you put a deposit down, it locks in the price.  So when you go to pay final payment, the total you had when you put a deposit down will be unchanged.

Perhaps what they are alluding to is the fact the price could change between now and final payment date, which you could take advantage of if you asked for a price change.

On 11/15/2021 at 9:04 PM, KathyC said:

Welcome to the message boards!

I have a terrible time getting emails from Royal for some reason.  My suggestion - transfer the booking to a travel agent.  They can dig into your booking and get you a receipt.  Some agencies use their own confirmations which do not detail the discounts, and others just give you the Royal confirmation.  But even the ones that use their own confirmation can break out the details for you.  Plus, the travel agent will do all the waiting on hold for you, at no charge. 😄 

This blog is sponsored by a wonderful, experienced agency that most of us here would recommend. @Beci or @michelle or @Sharla or @Jacki_MEI come to mind off the top of my head.  

thank you for the shoutout to MEI Agents

On 11/17/2021 at 12:23 AM, BillS said:

I know a lot of people are saying to go with a travel agent, but there is a BIG downside.  Once you do, Royal will not answer any of your questions, or give you any information.  I've been having a big problem with Future Cruise Credit, and my agent has been trying to get someone, from Royal to give her (me ) an answer.  This has been going on for 7 weeks, she has escalated it, I've tried contacting Royal but they won't give me the time of day.  If the ship employees of RCL were like the land based employees Sovereign would have been their last ship.

I hear your frustration, and knotty problems, well, they are knotty whether you have a TA or not.  I have learned, however, that I just can't do everything, and it's OK to ask for help.  I'd rather my TA play phone or email tag for me.  I do agree that customers always need to pay attention to what Royal is doing, if only to remind the TA that a change just occurred.  Best of luck with your FCC issue.  But you are correct that there are risks (downsides) to any choice we make.

On 11/17/2021 at 12:23 AM, BillS said:

Same boat here, over a dozen FCCs between the two of us; and an agent we not very happy with having a terrible time applying them. Between all the transfers from multiple cancelations and re-issues and delayed availability to re-apply again; its all so frustrating, and we are stuck with the TA, there is nothing we can do.  We are really regretting not taking the cash back when we had the opportunity.