traveling party boarding with single positive COVID test result?

Does anyone know if a positive for 1 person in the traveling party excludes the entire party from boarding (specifically persons in the same cabin), or is it on a person by person basis?  Specifically testing before arriving at the terminal, not actually at the terminal.  I can't seem to find an answer to this specific scenario in the FAQs.

Obviously I had someone test positive recently and want to know what that means for everyone if they don't test negative by the 2 day window.  I know we could just leave the positive person behind and they "never show up to check in", but I also don't want to be "that" person that tries to find a loophole.  Plus I'm a planner and want to know options well in advance instead of just winging it and hoping for the best.

The CDC guidelines for vaccinated persons is as follows:

People who are fully vaccinated do NOT need to quarantine after contact with someone who had COVID-19 unless they have symptoms. However, fully vaccinated people should get tested 5-7 days after their exposure, even if they don’t have symptoms and wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until their test result is negative.

I sympathize with your decision... if someone in my traveling party tests positive during the 2 day pre-boarding window, what to do?

I believe if it's someone I have had sustained contact with over a period of time, such as a co-habitant, I think I would rather cancel and get the refund. I wouldn't want to develop an infection onboard. Even though I'm fully vaccinated and the likelihood of severe symptoms is very low...I still would feel better if I was home rather than at sea. If it's someone I planned to meet at the port....too bad for them. Bon Voyage for me!

I think you are asking two separate questions and I assume you are vaccinated:

(1) What should we do if a person in a group traveling/sailing together tests positive before we leave home (outside the 2 or 3 day testing window)?

(2) If I had contact with that person who tested positive in the period before we left home, what is the risk that I will test positive at some point on the cruise?

Let's deal with question (2 ) first: Contact means inside of 3 meters (6 feet) for a prolonged period (around 15 minutes). If you don't meet those requirements, risk of exposure that results in a COVID infection occurring after you board and producing symptoms prompting a trip to medical where you might test positive and face COVID protocols on board your ship are very low - and I should emphasize if symptoms develop while sailing, be honest and go get tested. Can you spread SARS2 if you actually develop an asymptomatic infection yourself while on board? Theoretically yes but the risk is low and actually spreading virions sufficient to cause an infection in others through respirations is also low. If you're concerned about this, don a mask when you can't maintain social distancing (e.g., in an elevator).

If you can wait until after 3d from contact with your traveling partner to get your pre boarding test and it's negative, I'd go ahead and board. Assessing your risk of exposure from contact with this person is key in your own personal risk assessment of developing an infection later and while on board.

Back to question (1):  If the positive test result for the person in question was from an antigen test, get a confirmatory PCR test in the 3d pre-boarding window if possible (depending on availability in the area you are getting tested in, 1d PCR results are available and usually covered - not always - by your health insurance); if it's negative that person should proceed with traveling/boarding- this isn't CDC guidelines but cruising is a different ball game. Use your head. If the PCR test produces a positive result, that person is definitely out. They'll get a full refund if they cancel before boarding.

It get's trickier if the person, family members in the same household or traveling companions in the same stateroom tests negative on the confirmatory pre-boarding PCR test but has pre-boarding COVID symptoms (sore throat, cough, runny nose, fever or diarrhea). This is a worst case scenario. Everyone in your party should truthfully answer the yes/no questions on the health screening from. You'll be subject to additional screening measures (probably an antigen test in the terminal) or may be denied boarding - you'll get a full refund for being honest. Think about this from a safety and public health viewpoint. It's good for you and good for other guests on board.     

4 hours ago, billdauterive said:

Does anyone know if a positive for 1 person in the traveling party excludes the entire party from boarding (specifically persons in the same cabin), or is it on a person by person basis?  Specifically testing before arriving at the terminal, not actually at the terminal.  I can't seem to find an answer to this specific scenario in the FAQs.

Obviously I had someone test positive recently and want to know what that means for everyone if they don't test negative by the 2 day window.  I know we could just leave the positive person behind and they "never show up to check in", but I also don't want to be "that" person that tries to find a loophole.  Plus I'm a planner and want to know options well in advance instead of just winging it and hoping for the best.

Besides the test results, you need to consider the health assessment you fill out in the RoYal APP.  I believe one question is if you’ve been in close contact to someone CoVid-positive ( in the last 14 days, not sure ?) 

22 hours ago, Zurc said:

Besides the test results, you need to consider the health assessment you fill out in the RoYal APP.  I believe one question is if you’ve been in close contact to someone CoVid-positive ( in the last 14 days, not sure ?) 

Just for clarification on this one, CDC defines close contact as within 6ft of space for more than a cumulative of 15 minutes within 24 hours. Anything else would not be considered close contact.

10 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Just for clarification on this one, CDC defines close contact as within 6ft of space for more than a cumulative of 15 minutes within 24 hours. Anything else would not be considered close contact.

You are right.  I assumed it was a family member from same household - but I should not have made any assumptions.  It’s likely I was totally wrong. 

41 minutes ago, Zurc said:

You are right.  I assumed it was a family member from same household - but I should not have made any assumptions.  It’s likely I was totally wrong. 

Oh I just threw that out there as a general disclaimer in case anyone was unsure of how to answer the question. I think sometimes people are more apt to check the box than what’s actually needed.