Has anyone done a short Disney trip prior to a Miami cruise?

LindyLarge

Taking my first solo cruise on the Symphony out of Miami at the end of May. I have a few days free before the sailing, so I’m thinking about flying on a red-eye into Orlando 2 days prior to engage in some solo Disney fun, since I’ve never been.

Here’s the preliminary plan:

1) - land at MCO early Thursday morning

2) - get a Covid test at the airport

3) - Uber to an Orlando hotel (offsite of Disney, looking for a deal)

4) - Uber to WDW, check out hotels and Downtown 

5) - Do a park day Friday

6) - Uber to airport early Saturday, fly to Miami, board Symphony.

Am I crazy to do this? This was an idea to add some bucket list items to my already booked bucket list solo cruise. Obviously it’s not ideal to fly on embarkation day, but I feel a little more comfortable doing it since it’s Orlando to Miami. 

Should I feel comfortable? Anyone have any advice or suggestions? If anyone has done this and recommends an off-site hotel, I’m all ears. 

30 minutes ago, LindyLarge said:

Taking my first solo cruise on the Symphony out of Miami at the end of May. I have a few days free before the sailing, so I’m thinking about flying on a red-eye into Orlando 2 days prior to engage in some solo Disney fun, since I’ve never been.

Am I crazy to do this? This was an idea to add some bucket list items to my already booked bucket list solo cruise. Obviously it’s not ideal to fly on embarkation day, but I feel a little more comfortable doing it since it’s Orlando to Miami. 

Should I feel comfortable? Anyone have any advice or suggestions? If anyone has done this and recommends an off-site hotel, I’m all ears. 

This is all very achievable, however, you may be overdoing it with the airports. It’s only about a 3.5 hour easy highway drive (especially on a Saturday) from Orlando to Port of Miami. It may be easier for you to just rent a car and drop it off by the port especially if your solo with nobody holding you back. 

It seems like you might be trying to pack too much in to me.  I would find it adding a lot of stress to what should be a relaxing time.  Now I am 66 years old and thinking back to when I was in my 20s I probably would have done it and not thought twice about it.  Especially traveling solo helps a lot.  However there are still things to think about.  Disney is a lot of fun but it is a tiring day and 1 day is not enough for Disney in my opinion. The thing I would worry most about is having a flight on the same day the cruise leaves.  With the way air travel is right now it would only take one small thing to go wrong like the flight being cancelled, too long a line at the tsa, overbooked flight and you have no slack built in and risk missing the cruise.  

18 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Does DW require a reservation to visit the park?

I know that Disneyland in CA does, and I’m almost sure that all 4 parks at WDW do as well. That’s part of the reason I’m looking into it now because I know it won’t be possible to wing it.

1 hour ago, LindyLarge said:

you should totally do disney first but just rent a car and drive to Miami. Its like 2 1/2 hours. Check hotwire.com you should be able to get a hotel near Disney Springs for a good price and then can use the free Disney buses to get to the parks. 

WDW requires park reservations, I just came back. Right now they aren't too bad and have lots of holiday stuff going on. If it is just you as a solo depending on what you want to see and do, it is possible to hit more than one park. Also downtown Orlando is garbage, nothing much to see or do. Disney springs might be a better bet. Disney has some cheaper hotels/resorts, that would get you early access and transportation included. Check them before using a site like Expedia or Booking.

2 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Does DW require a reservation to visit the park?

yes.

We visiited the Animal Park on Saturday - Allure left on Sunday.  We flew in on Friday.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn Orange Lake Resort.  Tons of great pools, lazy river, and restaurants on site.

38 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

yes.

We visiited the Animal Park on Saturday - Allure left on Sunday.  We flew in on Friday.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn Orange Lake Resort.  Tons of great pools, lazy river, and restaurants on site.

How did you handle traveling from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale?