Ship time vs local time

Kris816

9 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Shouldn't Florida be on Standard Time now? Daylight Savings is a summer thing.  It should be an all-of-the-time thing, imo.

Allure stayed on whatever the local time was wherever we went.

I apologize that my terminology is incorrect. I checked this week and Puerto Rico, St Maarten and Antigua are all an hour ahead of Miami time, now. Prior to “falling back” last weekend, the islands were the same time as Miami.  

24 minutes ago, Kris816 said:

I will be cruising to the eastern Caribbean in a few weeks. Now, that Florida is on daylight savings time and the islands we will be visiting are an hour ahead, does anyone know if the ship will change to local time or keep ship time? Thanks!

We just got off the symphony and for the first time in our cruising lives the times are all over the place 😣 For the first two nights the wake up call from the ship was an hour too early even by the ship’s tIme (and the time change doesn’t explain it unless the “wake up” function differed from the ship’s clock).  The third night, still in the same time zone, we used our wifi-connected cell phone and it woke us up an hour too late.  I have no explanation for any of it 🤷🏼‍♀️ Maybe next week on allure the clock situation will be less bizarre/

ProTIp:

• Set your analog watch on your wrist to ship time on embarkation day. Digital watch is OK as long as it does not set itself.
  • All party members over a certain age (8 or so? Depends on the child?) should have a watch. If a member in your party doesn't have a watch, I'm pretty sure that you might be able to find one on board at a reasonable price.
  • Double-check your watch to ship time when you leave the ship for an excursion. There is usually a clock right there.

39 minutes ago, MrB said:

ProTIp:

• Set your analog watch on your wrist to ship time on embarkation day. Digital watch is OK as long as it does not set itself.
  • All party members over a certain age (8 or so? Depends on the child?) should have a watch. If a member in your party doesn't have a watch, I'm pretty sure that you might be able to find one on board at a reasonable price.
  • Double-check your watch to ship time when you leave the ship for an excursion. There is usually a clock right there.

EXACTLY …… If you go by island time or you’re using your cell phone as your clock and it auto changes itself to island time …… you’re very likely to miss the ship when it leaves ….. especially if the time on the island is earlier than the time on the ship  ….. the ship will ALWAYS keep and use the time zone of the port you left from no matter what time it is where you are.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Some ships change time on board to match local island time.  It's up to the Captain.

Really?  I had no idea ……. On all 11 of my cruises on Royal they’ve always kept ships time at what time it was in Florida where we left from.  I guess I need to pay more attention from now on in case we ever get a captain who changes the time.  Thanks for that info!   

1 hour ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Really?  I had no idea ……. On all 11 of my cruises on Royal they’ve always kept ships time at what time it was in Florida where we left from.  I guess I need to pay more attention from now on in case we ever get a captain who changes the time.  Thanks for that info!   

I've done a B2B where the Captain did not change time the first cruise but did for the second cruise.  

They usually consult with the Cruise Director and based on a lot of things we don't think about the Captain will decide.  Where the ship is within the time zone impacts hours of sunlight during awake times and the overall itinerary plays a factor.  Will they need to change times every night, are there sea days in the itinerary where time changes are easier to implement, impact to the crew is a big consideration, etc.

They know all too well that different ship versus local times do cause more guests to be late to the ship but some itineraries just don't lend themselves to changing times on board while others do.

• 1 year later...

So, I'm still confused!  So far there are 2-3 people that say the ship stays on ship time and 2-3 people say that they are on local time!!!  So, from all the confusion, I am kinda understanding that it all depends on what the Captain of the ship wants to do.  Is that correct?  Any further info would be helpful because we are trying to book a SCUBA excursion with a local company because all of the ones the ship offers are all full!.  The excursion wants to know if docking time is local or ship's time???

On 11/13/2021 at 10:19 PM, MrB said:

ProTIp:

Who has a watch anymore? I stopped buying them and using them years ago since my phone is always in my hand.

19 minutes ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Who has a watch anymore? I stopped buying them and using them years ago since my phone is always in my hand.

I'm pretty sure you are just making a statement about watches, but for people who are legitimately confused about this.....

The issue is that phones (connected to the internet or cell service) usually update to local time by default.  Yes, it can be turned off, but I've always been surprised by how many people don't realize this.

A watch (I have an analog, but I am guessing most digital, too) won't change time unless you manually change it yourself.  This is great because you can keep the watch on ship's time when it's different from local time and not have to worry about being an hour late....and potentially missing the ship if local time is an hour behind ship's time.

This must be some ridiculous Royal can't even get this right thing. It's local time or it's not. Not up to each ship week to week. On any other line like Disney we always were told what the local time was (like when a plane lands) to establish the time and avoid confusion once off ship. It really should be that black and white. Ah but this is Royal. Lol. 

18 hours ago, teddy said:

I'm pretty sure you are just making a statement about watches, but for people who are legitimately confused about this.....

The issue is that phones (connected to the internet or cell service) usually update to local time by default.  Yes, it can be turned off, but I've always been surprised by how many people don't realize this.

A watch (I have an analog, but I am guessing most digital, too) won't change time unless you manually change it yourself.  This is great because you can keep the watch on ship's time when it's different from local time and not have to worry about being an hour late....and potentially missing the ship if local time is an hour behind ship's time.

My phone (running Android 13) lets me lock the time zone, so it won't change time based on location. I discovered that on a Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston where the ship did NOT switch to local time.

My watch (Garmin smartwatch) can get its time zone info from GPS or from my phone. Once I locked my phone's time zone, the watch honored that.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:59 PM, Kris816 said:

I will be cruising to the eastern Caribbean in a few weeks. Now, that Florida is on daylight savings time and the islands we will be visiting are an hour ahead, does anyone know if the ship will change to local time or keep ship time? Thanks!

They will tell you on the ship.  Announcements will be made.   It will be printed in the Cruise Compass, and as you disembark the ship there is usually a sign or three telling you.   Pro tip - if you look at the app on your phone it will always give ship's time.   Embarkation times are always in ship's time.   

On 12/4/2022 at 11:47 AM, SAM101 said:

So, I'm still confused!  So far there are 2-3 people that say the ship stays on ship time and 2-3 people say that they are on local time!!!  So, from all the confusion, I am kinda understanding that it all depends on what the Captain of the ship wants to do.  Is that correct?  Any further info would be helpful because we are trying to book a SCUBA excursion with a local company because all of the ones the ship offers are all full!.  The excursion wants to know if docking time is local or ship's time???

I've been on royal ships that change time and ones that do everything by ship time. 

The cruise compass will tell you, so just pay attention. 

As far as your excursion,  I'd expect them to know when the ship docks. Regardless, cruisemapper.com should have arrival time as the local time