I learned why you should have EXTRA Binax Now tests at home!!!

Blondie511

Sailing on the Anthem this Sunday, so I did my Binax Now home test today.  Everything is going fine, and then the lady who is proctoring tells me to put six drops in the card hole.  The bottle is BONE DRY!  Only air squeaked out!  She told me the test is over and I needed to get another test.  (That was not cheap by the way.). Test #2 did not go any better.  The dropper was stuck inside the lid!  There is no way to measure exactly six drops!  There goes another test.  Box #3 worked great!  The moral of the story is have a few extra tests for your trip, just in case there is a problem.  Customer service was great though.  They are overnighting me replacement tests and they will be at my house at noon tomorrow.

Great. Now I have to worry about this possible scenario in January. Am I gonna have to buy a six-pack (or more?) to ensure that we get at least TWO usable tests?

This would be a real problem for people that need to fly in the day before. We would be landing at FLL at about the time those replacement tests would be delivered to our house.

It's always good to have a back up.  Tony from La Lido Loca filmed his first at-home, proctored test and after he'd done the swab and closed the book he accidentally caught the stick on a sleeve and it went tumbling off of the table.  Test over, invalid.  He had to start over.  I'm now paranoid about them (i.e. cats and dogs locked in another room during testing!).

1 hour ago, Blondie511 said:

Sailing on the Anthem this Sunday, so I did my Binax Now home test today.  Everything is going fine, and then the lady who is proctoring tells me to put six drops in the card hole.  The bottle is BONE DRY!  Only air squeaked out!  She told me the test is over and I needed to get another test.  (That was not cheap by the way.). Test #2 did not go any better.  The dropper was stuck inside the lid!  There is no way to measure exactly six drops!  There goes another test.  Box #3 worked great!  The moral of the story is have a few extra tests for your trip, just in case there is a problem.  Customer service was great though.  They are overnighting me replacement tests and they will be at my house at noon tomorrow.

I had one test not work incorrectly so they said they would send a replacement. I guess they do not sell or ship single tests because I received 6 new tests to replace the one single one that did not work.

4 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

I went to CVS and it was the easiest thing possible.. It was also Free.. I signed up two weeks in advance for a rapid antigen test. Showed up on my assigned day and time and 29 min later had my results. I strongly recommend using CVS 

That doesn't work for us due to the 2 day prior stipulation.  We usually fly out the morning 2 days prior to our sailing before CVS opens.  Home testing works best as we can test anytime before we leave in the morning, or bring the test with us to test in the hotel.

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

It's always good to have a back up.  Tony from La Lido Loca filmed his first at-home, proctored test and after he'd done the swab and closed the book he accidentally caught the stick on a sleeve and it went tumbling off of the table.  Test over, invalid.  He had to start over.  I'm now paranoid about them (i.e. cats and dogs locked in another room during testing!).

That one scared me too. 😳 But we ended up doing it in front of our home computer, I protected the desk like a firebreathing dragon. But all went well/

9 minutes ago, Blondie511 said:

I am honesty not sure where he expiration dates are.  I could not find a date until I opened the box.  Understand that once you open the test you invalidate it.  

The expiration dates are actually outside on the box they deliver them in. Also on the box without opening the test.

16 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

That doesn't work for us due to the 2 day prior stipulation.  We usually fly out the morning 2 days prior to our sailing before CVS opens.  Home testing works best as we can test anytime before we leave in the morning, or bring the test with us to test in the hotel.

you could always find a CVS in the area where the cruise ships leave from... I live in Ft. Lauderdale and there are plenty of rapid tests here in Florida

5 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

you could always find a CVS in the area where the cruise ships leave from... I live in Ft. Lauderdale and there are plenty of rapid tests here in Florida

From what I understand they are drive through.  I'm not taking a Covid test from the back of a Lyft.  I'm just not gonna do it.  LOL.

3 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

From what I understand they are drive through.  I'm not taking a Covid test from the back of a Lyft.  I'm just not gonna do it.  LOL.

The one is use is semi drive through lol. a lady comes to the car and helps you do the test but I get it you would still have to be in back of car. I guess I am just lucky I live in Ft. Lauderdale area and can get the free CVS tests lol 

4 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

The one is use is semi drive through lol. a lady comes to the car and helps you do the test but I get it you would still have to be in back of car. I guess I am just lucky I live in Ft. Lauderdale area and can get the free CVS tests lol 

Back of a car of a complete stranger.  That's the objectionable part!  I've done plenty of them from my own vehicle, but I'd just not want to explain to a stranger "really, I'm not sick, this is just pre-cruise protocol" when most of the time the communication is sketchy at best.

Crap. If this happens to us, we're screwed. We fly out Christmas Day for Dec 26th Oasis. We are planning on doing our Binax At-home proctor test on Christmas Eve. We are not off to a good start as We have already received 6 tests that expired before the website said they would at the Optum store. Website said Feb 3, but the tests we received said Dec 18th (with the 3 month FDA extention included). They refunded our order, but don't have any to ship. I then ordered directly from eMed. Hopefully, eMed isn't shipping dried up dropper tests.